Cannot make my SD card to even attempt to root my Nook. :(

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
I get the following error message: “An error occured when attempting to get the device’s geometry. Error 8:”

It's a 4gb mSD formatted on the NC, class 6. Brand new.

Advice?

Updated--see new problem below!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What did you try to do that resulted in the message?

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
I get the following error message: “An error occured when attempting to get the device’s geometry. Error 8:”

It's a 4gb mSD formatted on the NC, class 6. Brand new.

Advice?

Hi Lime,

More information would help, as J515OP said. I assume you are using Win32DiskImager. Were you running it with administrator rights? (right click on the .exe and choose "run as")

There are also other things you could do: try another card reader, another usb port (if you were using one), or reformat the mSD on the computer instead of the NC.

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
I was trying to write the CWR file to the disk. I did call my brother to ask if he had a card reader I could borrow to see if that made a difference. I'm using one built into the computer. I checked and I do have administrator running it (I did the right click thing--same result).

How do I reformat on the computer? I used the NC b/c that's how I could figure it out.

Thanks for the help--I appreciate it.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Insert the card in your computer. When the device comes up (under "my computer" on win xp, not sure about vista or win 7), right click on the drive then select format. I never truct formatting an sd card on the nook. I have had too many problems that way. After reformatting, rewrite your img file using winimage or win32disk image on the sd card and retry on the nook. This might solge the geometry issues.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
I'm trying to reformat on the computer. However, I'm starting to think it's my card reader. When I tried to right click the G drive, it gave me the waiting symbol (like the hourglass) and blanked out the my computer window for a while. I don't think it can read the card.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Hey lime,

I wouldn't worry too much about Error 8. I get the message every time I open Win32diskImager. But it's never kept me from writing images to my SD card. It used to freak me out - but the application still does it's job - so I just ignore it now.

Im' running Win 7 x 64 bit OS

Just make sure when you open the executable application file - right click and run as an administrator - and you should be fine - find your file on your PC - and select the " correct " drive to burn the image to - and you should be good to go..

Hope that helps.

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
Thanks, but I don't think it's working. It never shows the progress or anything. I guess I could put it in the NC and see what happens, just in case.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks, but I don't think it's working. It never shows the progress or anything. I guess I could put it in the NC and see what happens, just in case.

What do you see when you load?

Does the app load ?

If it loads - can you get the file you want - loaded into image file < generic-sdcard-v1.3.img > into the Win32 app

If file is loaded - go to the drop down Drive menu and choose the drive of your SD card.

Then Press < WRITE > button. ** you should see progress after pressing Write button **

Where in these steps - are you having a problem?

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
1. Have you also tried a different card?

2. you could also try winimage which has a 30 day trial instead of win32diskimager.

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
I had that problem, turned out I was using an old version of windiscimager. Went to ver .2-r23 and everything worked. There is a later ver out also but I have no idea how well it works.

Last edited:

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
Well, I finally got around to buying an SD card reader and I'm still having problems--now I can write the clockwork program to the card BUT I can't copy the manual nooter. It tells me that the disk is not formatted. Even when I formatted it and then rewrote the clockwork and tried again I got that message. I tested it just in case in copied, but no luck there either. So how do I copy manual nooter to the card?????

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
I was having a similar problem, after I burned the image to the card using win32diskimage my PC wouldn't read the card. Windows kept prompting me to format the card when it was inserted. J151OP told me to boot up to the stock Nook OS, connect it to the PC, then insert and mount the uSD card in the Nook. Afterwards I was able to read\write to the card through Windows.