Can't access SD card data after Honeycomb update?

JenMar

Sep 21, 2011
I'm freaking out and hope desperately that someone can help me.

I bought a VTab over a Kindle Fire because of the expandable SD memory. I loved it, loaded up 7gb of music and videos on to an 8gb SD card and I saved various files to the SD card to save space.

I updated to Honeycomb today because all the other updates weren't bad.

I should have KNOWN something was horribly wrong and bad about the update when the menu/home/back buttons were moved from the sidebar to the actual screen.

I can't read ANY data off the SD card now. If I check with the Astro File Manager, it just shows the /external folder as being blank. DoubleTwist can't find any of my music or videos. Even the included music and video apps can't find my media.

Please, someone tell me there's a way to fix this and access my data again.

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
In Astro file manager: You will not access your external SD through the sdcard/external folder!
The Astro left dropdown will show Device with Internal Memory,External SD card,USB storage .....etc. Select External SD card, it will show the correct path as /mnt/external_sdcard

This is true with ES File Explorer too. You need to go "UP" and select the "mnt" folder and then external_sdcard

Oct 10, 2011
I took the update earlier this afternoon. I just now finished finished transferring a new batch of PDF magazines to my SD card with no problem but the process was different. Once you plug USB into computer the VTAB screen stays on the desktop and does not change to the old familiar USB transfer screen. Nothing showed on Total Commander (alternate file manager) so I opened Windows Explore and scrolled down the list and there under all my usual drives as well as document folders and Control Panel was VTAB1008. Clicked on that and in the right panel is Onboard Storage and SD Card. Clicked on SD card and there were all the files I had previously transferred and could drag new ones to the card.

My OS is XP Home SP3 and I have yet to try it on 7. Also have no idea how it will respond to OSX.

JenMar

Sep 21, 2011
This has nothing to do with storage and using the tablet with my Windows laptop. This has to do with accessing the files once they're on the microSD card and I'm using the tablet to try and find and access them. (I have no problem dragging/dropping new files to the microSD on the tablet.)

If I try to use DoubleTwist, the included Music player or the included Video player it doesn't even acknowledge there being any data on the microSD card to view.

Edit:

I finally found my microSD card data with Astro. But I still can't get DoubleTwist or the other media players to acknowledge the data is there. -_-

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This has nothing to do with storage and using the tablet with my Windows laptop. This has to do with accessing the files once they're on the microSD card and I'm using the tablet to try and find and access them. (I have no problem dragging/dropping new files to the microSD on the tablet.)

If I try to use DoubleTwist, the included Music player or the included Video player it doesn't even acknowledge there being any data on the microSD card to view.

Edit:

I finally found my microSD card data with Astro. But I still can't get DoubleTwist or the other media players to acknowledge the data is there. -_-

Sometimes the apps have to be "told" where to look. Try navigating to the music files with Astro. Then when you try and launch a file it will ask you what app you want to open the file with. Choose the app and many times this is all it takes to let the app know where the media is.

JenMar

Sep 21, 2011
J515OP, I could kiss you! You did it! It worked! (2 Vizio tech support people couldn't do what you just did! One of them didn't even know how I knew the old VTAB OS had the external as mnt/sdcard/external)

Thank you so much. I primarily use this as an mp3/video player and occasionally for email so having DoubleTwist not work was killing me.

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
I had my videos and music filed under "videos" and "music" folders in my external sdcard. "Gallery" and "MX Video Player" have no problem finding my videos and "Music" found my music too!

So, don't get too excited just yet!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J515OP, I could kiss you! You did it! It worked! (2 Vizio tech support people couldn't do what you just did! One of them didn't even know how I knew the old VTAB OS had the external as mnt/sdcard/external)

Thank you so much. I primarily use this as an mp3/video player and occasionally for email so having DoubleTwist not work was killing me.

No kiss is necessary.

All you have to do is hit that little "Thank" button in the lower right of the post that was helpful (right down there -------->v)

:D

jhig1961

Nov 27, 2011
I couldn't find sd card with es file explorer until I changed default strage location to micro xx card

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
jhig1961 said:
I couldn't find sd card with es file explorer until I changed default strage location to micro xx card

How do you do that? My file manager tells me the external folder is empty. That's where all my music is stored.. Ty!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
Found it and it worked... Switching the default memory. Thank you!!!

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
Btw, I don't find the thank you button with this updated app. But I would use it! :)

IT_Admn

Dec 16, 2011
I had the same issue with Mobo video player, Could not find my movies. I re-formatted card and copied everything back to card, and it still would not see files. Switched to MX video player and it found all my movies. I guess Mobo don't like HC.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
I don't have my Vtab here so I can't give exact details but this happened to me. The external folder does not contain your External SD Card contents the external folder is actually under the onboard storage not sure why. In ES and Astro the external SD Card is in one of the drop down menus so esentially it has its own directory location in your file manager (sorry if my terminolgy is not android I am used to PC and iOS talk but I am tryng to learn). Once you find the SD Card menu and click on it the contents of your SD card will show up.

Hope this helps or maybe one of the members who speak android better than me will chime in with better directions.

Jim

Last edited: