Can't get kindle to work on coby kyros MID9742

mitchy210

May 20, 2013
Hi there, I'm new to tablets. I have downloaded google play via the non full rooting method and then downloaded kindle for andriod. All seemed well but when I downloaded my books all I get is a page header and nothing else. I looked around the forum and have tentatively downloaded the googleplay tweaks. I have put busybox on as well but am now stuck or rather frightened as to what I should be doing next. Any advice as to what I should or should not be doing?

Thanks for any help you can give a noobie

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
What did you use to root?
Where did you download Google Play from?

Your first thing to be doing after answering those questions is not attempting to install my tweaks until you can figure out why the Kindle app isn't working. Your issue may be related to the tweaks, but could also be a symptom of how you rooted or how you installed Google Play. The second thing to be doing is making sure you have either a system dump or a nandroid backup from before you added Google Play so that you can restore to stock if necessary. The third thing is...there is no third thing. ;)

mitchy210

May 20, 2013
Hi traveller,
I didn't root at all. I installed googleplay using instructions from Youtube here -

Installed fine but says some apps are not compatible. Kindle installs fine but only page headers show up.

I used the following files downloaded from google drive
View attachment 10873
​As of today the 9742 is stuck on the android logo on a permanent loop. It was working fine until today. I have not installed tweaks. Seems everything that has gone wrong has! Please help. The rush to get the tab working like my phone for my kids has led me to this point!

Attachments

• $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 616
Last edited by a moderator:

mitchy210

May 20, 2013
OK so I've managed to access the recovery menu (vol-/power/back buttons together) and done a factory reset by wiping the data. Now I'm back at the looping android logo. What do I do now?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well now, unless you rooted your tablet you wouldn't have been able to apply my tweaks to begin with. For the 9742, rooting is required to get the most out of the Play Store and here's why. Besides the fact that installing my tweaks requires you to be rooted, installing the Play Store involves more than simply installing the Play Store app. You not only have the Play Store app to deal with, but the following files, at a minimum:

GoogleLoginService.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Phonesky.apk (the Google Play app itself)
SetupWizard.apk

My installation instructions in Generation 3 Development bypass the issue of picking and choosing which files to be installed by requiring the reader to download the Google apps package for the correct version of Android on Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps and flashing the entire package through ClockworkMod. In general, these apps do not get installed like a normal app, especially the Google Services Framework. They MUST be copied to /system to function correctly.

That attachment is no longer valid, so I need to know what programs are in the "stuff" directory. The bootloop is caused by one of the critical system files not having the correct permissions. To get out of it will likely require installing ClockworkMod and restoring from a system dump. If you didn't make one you'll have to attempt to use one of the dumps in Generation 3 Development and hope that its drivers match your tablet.