Cant get nook color to load past "android_" screen (CM7)

jealousblues

Mar 25, 2011
I have two nook colors with cyanogenmod 7 on them
but one was never quite right and didnt have google apps on it.
I never really messed with it but today I thought I would fix it.

originally I wanted to upgrade to jellybean for fun since this is one I have just to mess around with.
But I wanted to roll it back to stock first.
All the directions I saw for that were quite old and none of the downloads worked.
I tried some one SD card and it didnt really work.

It wasnt connecting to wifi and clockwork mod wasnt working (rom manager was there but it said clockwork mod wasnt working and I couldnt update it because wifi wanst working).
I got all that sorted out

then I decided to try to upgrade to the latest CM from rom manager
but I would just give me download errors.

so I downloaded the file directly to my SD card from the clockwork mod website

I was able to boot into recovery and it backed up my nook
but when it tried to install the CM it said there was an error and aborted

not my nook when you power it up shows "touch the future of reading" then it goes to the "android_" (that pops up before the CM7 logo) and it just sits there

any thoughts on what to do?

Should I just make a bootable SD card with CM7?
(how can I do that...im pretty rusty on all this, I havent messed with it much in a year or two)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi there, you have 2 options. 1) you can create a bootable ClockWork mod recovery card. There are many instructions here on how to do that so check out the threads. Once you make a bootable recovery card then go to *. 2) If you have recovery on the internal memory you can boot into recovery by holding power+n when booting. Then using an SD card go to *.

* Download the CM files you want to use (7 or 10) in zip format from the Cyanogenmod website and download the appropriate Google Apps (for Gingerbread/CM7 or Jelly Bean/CM10) also from the the CyanogenMod website. These should both be zip files and go in the root directory of the SD card (not in any folders). Next boot into recovery either from the SD card or internal.

Choose Wipe Data Factory Reset.
Choose Wipe Cache Partition.
Choose Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache.
Choose Install zip from SD card and select the CMx ROM
Choose Install zip from SD card and select the GApps
Choose Reboot Device (if you used a bootable recovery SD card go to mounts and unmount the card first and then remove it from the Nook before rebooting or you will go back to recovery).

JP

jealousblues

Mar 25, 2011
CM7 was loaded onto the nook its self and not the SD card, I dont know if that matters or not.

ANyway is there any particular method for creating the bootable clockwork recovery card that you can link me to
Ive tried about 5 different ways in the last two days to get that done and its not working for me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
CM7 doesn't necessarily mean you installed ClockWorkMod Recovery on the internal memory though it is more likely that you did. If when you power down then power on then press and hold the power button and n button at the same time after about 15 seconds you will boot into recovery. To install CM7 you either installed this to internal memory or booted into it from a bootable recovery card at some point previously.

These are all stickies in the this Nook Color Technical section.

Post 2 deals with wiping the caches and flashing.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

To make a bootable recovery card http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...msd-v3-0-1-0-higher-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ockworkmod-recovery-information-versions.html