cant get usb mode in MID7022

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
just got a coby mid7022. everything is cool so far..got android market up and running, however i cant get it into usb mode...the manual it came with says to plug in the usb cable (included) to the computer and that should be it...i have tried two different cables on two different computers (one running windows vista and one on win 7), nothing..turning usb debugging on and off does nothing.

also note there is nothing that states "usb" anything in the tablet's setting menu..is there a driver that needs to be downloaded, or is it just a flaw that the tablet has itself..thanks

ps: its running 2.3

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Setting -> Advanced Settings, at the very bottom you can alternate between host and device mode. Host is used when you connect a keyboard or thumbdrive, while device is used to connect tablet as a device to a computer. Is it what you want?

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
thanks for the reply...i do not even have and "advance setting" option...under settings i have

location & security
applications
privacy
storage
language & keyboard
date & time
about the device

usb debugging mode was found under "applications/development"

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hmm, so it's different on your Gingerbread ROM. Maybe it misses SpareParts.apk, it enables Advanced Settings (at least on Froyo). You can download it from Market (I think there is a free version). Also, I can change it using a Power Control widget that came with my MID1024 Froyo.

If this doen't help, I am lost... What exactly you want to change and why (what do you want to do)?

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
Hmm, so it's different on your Gingerbread ROM. Maybe it misses SpareParts.apk, it enables Advanced Settings (at least on Froyo). You can download it from Market (I think there is a free version). Also, I can change it using a Power Control widget that came with my MID1024 Froyo.

If this doen't help, I am lost... What exactly you want to change and why (what do you want to do)?

I do have the spare parts app...it lists:

battery history
battery information
usage statistics
window animations
transitions animations
fancy input, font size end button behavior, compatibilty mode

i basically want to transfer files from the computer to the pad without taking out the sd card back and forth...thanks.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Ok, so this is what I do on mine:
- USB in device mode
- connect USB cable to computer
- two icons appear in my notification bar
- I expand the bar and touch on USB Connected
- a window open with the green android with a button: Turn on USB storage
- I click on that button and a SD card is mounted in my desktop

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
i also have a cruz micro reader...it goes into usb mode exactly the way u describe above. which is why i find it strange and frustrating that this does not, even when the manual states that it does (lol..it even has illustrations). i next step is to find drivers online

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I don't think you need drivers. Does it have only one USB port? Did you try using the other one?

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Is USB debugging selected?if so it will prevent access to the SD cards. Also on my windows 7 x64 machine it installed drivers for an android phone that I had to delete and uninstall before it would load as a mass USB storage.

Pecked out from my rooted Kyros MID1024

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
I've got the same problem on my 7022 trying to get a USB keyboard to work. Mine will do what it should when I plug it into my PC but putting the keyboard in does nothing. My Spare Parts and Settings apps have no usb activation controls whatsoever. There's only one usb port on the 7022 and yes, mine is working (the PC sees it and I can transfer files). So wuz up?

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Make sure that the adaptor you're using is an OTG adaptor, a gender changer with a standard USB lead won't work.

Sent from my slightly rooted Coby 7022

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
In my MID1024 I can also use a widget on workscreen called Power Control to enable/disable host mode, it comes with OS.

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
Make sure that the adaptor you're using is an OTG adaptor, a gender changer with a standard USB lead won't work.

Sent from my slightly rooted Coby 7022

Yeah, I used the adapter that came with the unit. I think I'll try the one that came with the old Palm Zire 31 I'd been using as an e-reader. And then there's the one that came with my daughter's Kodak Easyshare camera.
You know, some things ought to be mandatory with Android, even though it's intended to be customized as you want it. Everybody's got USB stuff lying around. That stuff should just work. And no, I'm not advertising for Apple lol. I just want to use my wireless keyboard!