Can't keep the 7015 in sleep mode..^&#(!@*#

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Well I've given up..... Google Market definitely causes this issue. What ever apps are being installed to access the Market is causing the tablet to wake up repeatably. Maybe OK for 20 minutes then 5-6 times in a row every 10-15 seconds.
I've removed Google Market and the problem goes away.

A quick method to get back to your saved boot is;
Power down the tablet
Hold the silver button and the Power button, wait for the Coby tag and keep pressing until you see the ClockWorkMod menu.
Select Restore etc.

This is disappointing. I may remount Google Market again to snag a few apps that don't appear to be available elsewhere and then restore the tablet.

I wonder how many persons are experiencing this wake up issue after installing the Market? If someone comes up with a fix, I'm all years. Until then.... blah.

Great tablet for the price though.....

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
Well, that sucks. Is it possible to just have the market apk file, install when you need it, then remove again when you are finished with it? Or should I say, is there a way to do this easily?

willber

Jan 9, 2011
@Troy... well I hate being beat so I'm at it again. This time I didn't accept the Markets requests to track etc etc and that seemed to reduce the occurrence of wake up.
However it eventually returned. So I checked Running Services and again the Dialer and other installed useless phone apps from the Market are lurking again. I kill those with AppKiller and the problem seems to go away however the apps return so I don't think AppKiller is really working. Or the runtime is smart enough to relaunch these if they fail. I may just try and rename these to .bak and see what happens.
Actually it's fairly easy to kill the Market and re-install when needed to grab some apps. Just use the boot to ClockWorkMod sequence, restore or load from zip.
The Market.apk probably relies on a few "hidden" things to work but I may try that. Somehow I doubt it would be that easy.

@Ridgeland. I could but I have this on my desk at work all day checking news feeds etc and having this turn on and off drives me crazy. A deep power cycle takes too long. Almost as bad as "booting" Bill Gates.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
yeah, the boot is surprisingly slow.
I left mine on sleep last night and it drained 1/3 of the battery. At least at work you can keep it plugged in.

Last edited:

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
I finally broke down and installed the Google Experience file... in my evangelistic effort to run a minimal fast system I almost Bricked the Kyros..... mote later!

Clancy-

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I gave it a go again and this time I did not accept the three items that the Android wizard asked if I wanted. I believe they were related to Location etc.
And low and behold, the tablet is not coming out of sleep mode every 15-20 seconds.
I also checked Running services and cleared out a few Google apps running in the background. I did lose the YouYube icon when I did this but the YouTube app still worked.
So now I am a happy camper with the "Experience"
When the Android OS is tuned for tablets I think this is going to be great. Now we are just using phone OS to run a tablet... :(
I'm now trying to clear out those phone apps, voice, dialer etc. There's a thread on this so check it out.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
yeah, the boot is surprisingly slow.

After removing quite a few of the unwanted apps including some of the apps and services meant for cell phones and not tablets my boot time has increased considerably. If you're interested check out my thread here.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
No need to go through the whole root process. If you have ClockWorkMod installed, simply power down the tablet, press the silver button and the power button until you pass the COBY splash screen and the CWM menu will appear.
Simply select Load from zip option and load the modified boot image. You will have to go through the Wizard again but it's not that bad as you probably already have a Gmail account. Just SKIP and log in.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Ya lets get ride of the phone OS used for this tablet. I guess it was just easy for Coby to take an existing phone OS and slap it in the tablet. We are in early days of tablet technology so I guess we should be happy to have such a convenient device.
There is a thread regarding custom ROMS but it looks like a slow process. Would be interesting to see if the new Coby tablets have a stripped down OS.