Can't read books downloaded from library

libraryreader

Jun 7, 2011
Hi, I feel like throwing this thing out the window so i hope someone can help me. It's a new 7" (black, I gather that matters?) Pandigital Novel. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to upload library books, finally got overdrive loaded and actually managed to download a few books, but I can't read any of them b/c the margins of the page are twice as wide as the actual screen, so I can only see half of every page! I've tried messing with the font size, the orientation, checking or not checking the box for "default view" but it hasn't helped. Is this device not compatible with EPUB books like it says it is? Thanks for any help.

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Not knowing what firmware you have I'd suggest that you go to pandigitals site and upgrade to the latest firmware.

Have you tried any other ereaders?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'd guess the library would have a format compatible with the most popular readers. The Kindle app would be a good one to try.

libraryreader

Jun 7, 2011
Thank you for your suggestions. The firmware is up to date. We've figured out a few things since a few days ago. Main thing is that it seems we needed to load Adobe Digital Reader on a PC, download the library books there, and then use the USB cable to transfer them to the PDN. I'm not sure what OverDrive is for, now. The library wanted me to download it, but it seems that ADR is the program to use, not OverDrive.

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Overdrive is what libraries use to get books into the readers. It is kind of flaky to use in my mind. The couple times I used it it worked but I am not really sure what I did to get it to work :) My wife struggles with it as well.

MacGail

Jun 11, 2011
Thank you for your suggestions. The firmware is up to date. We've figured out a few things since a few days ago. Main thing is that it seems we needed to load Adobe Digital Reader on a PC, download the library books there, and then use the USB cable to transfer them to the PDN. I'm not sure what OverDrive is for, now. The library wanted me to download it, but it seems that ADR is the program to use, not OverDrive.

Yes, that is what you use. I've had a Nook (B&W) since November. I was hoping to hear that with a Tablet, you could download them directly without using your computer since I'm helping my Mom set up her tablet. In any case, at this time, Kindles are NOT compatible with the library books, but that will be coming out in the future.

Seraphemme

Jun 24, 2011
Hi libraryreader. So, just wondering... Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem with my Pandigital Novel using Overdrive. I can download ebooks, but only half of the page displays.

And I echo your feelings about wanting to chuck the thing out the window. (Ugh.)

libraryreader

Jun 7, 2011
Hi Seraphemme, sorry, just saw your message. The resolution is pretty much what is in my most recent message, that you need to use Adobe Digital REader, NOT Overdrive, and download books to your PC, not directly to the PDN. I go to my library website on my PC, and download books that are in the "Adobe EPUB eBook" format. Once they are downloaded, I open Adobe digital Reader and drag the book over from the main bookshelf to the PDN bookshelf. (It should show up if you've plugged the PDN into your PC.)

I have Overdrive loaded onto my PDN, but I'm not sure why, since apparently the PDN or Android or something is not compatible with Overdrive audio books, and at least at my library, I think that Overdrive is specifically for audio books.

I hope that by now you've solved these problems, but if not, hope this helps!

Hi libraryreader. So, just wondering... Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem with my Pandigital Novel using Overdrive. I can download ebooks, but only half of the page displays.

And I echo your feelings about wanting to chuck the thing out the window. (Ugh.)