Can't Read PDF Files in Any App- Go Blank After a Few Pages

Oragami

Feb 20, 2014
I've had a few apps on my tablet that let you read PDF files, but no matter if I download them from the internet or put them onto the SD card or internal memory from my laptop, the files go blank after a few pages. This happens in the B&N app, and all of the other ones I've tried.

Is there any way I can read the PDFs without having to worry about them going blank?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It could be insufficient memory but more likely it's a lack of patience. What I mean by that is the PDF apps on low-spec devices need to have some time to cache the PDF file so it can be properly displayed. Otherwise you'll get blank pages.

Oragami

Feb 20, 2014
It could be insufficient memory but more likely it's a lack of patience. What I mean by that is the PDF apps on low-spec devices need to have some time to cache the PDF file so it can be properly displayed. Otherwise you'll get blank pages.

How would I solve that? Right now I have a file open that I want to read, and I'm letting it sit for a little bit. Not sure if that's what you mean, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

(this particular version of the file I downloaded directly from the internet, and didn't put onto my tablet from my laptop onto the SD card or the internal memory)

EDIT:
It apparently didn't work for the Adobe Reader app, going to try with the other ones I have to see if that works.

EDIT AGAIN:
I opened the file in the B&N app, and after a few pages it was ok, and I skipped ahead to about halfway through, and it's still good. I think I just need to download it directly from the internet for it to work. Will try with others to be sure

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Just to clarify, I did mean to just let the file sit for a little bit while open in the app. But thinking on this a bit more, another variable is the person who created the document and what program they used to create it. In my case I use Acrobat Pro to create PDFs, but there are freeware alternatives to creating PDFs as well. Any of these programs, including Acrobat, may have options in them which unintentionally make files difficult to view in a tablet.

Oragami

Feb 20, 2014
Just to clarify, I did mean to just let the file sit for a little bit while open in the app. But thinking on this a bit more, another variable is the person who created the document and what program they used to create it. In my case I use Acrobat Pro to create PDFs, but there are freeware alternatives to creating PDFs as well. Any of these programs, including Acrobat, may have options in them which unintentionally make files difficult to view in a tablet.

They're downloaded from the website Archive of our Own. People post stuff in text form, and you can download it in PDF form. Not sure how they do it though.

The other PDFs i downloaded were iffy, but maybe I didn't let them sit? I'll try that with a new download.

I let it sit until the screen went blank, and then opened it back up- the same thing still happened.

(I can also download as an epub, MOBI, and HTML type files...Is there anything you could recommend that would let me read those?)

EDIT:
I downloaded VN reader (I think that's it), and it seems to read Epub files just fine. The default settings look a bit weird to me, but there's options to change it.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If it's compiled direct from a text they likely use Ghostscript to do the job because it's freeware and perfect for server use. In general however, PDFs are created in the same way, by printing the file to a PDF driver installed as a printer. What makes a difference is the options. For example, in Acrobat it's possible to edit a PDF and have it recompiled with an older version of the PDF driver to have it be compatible with older versions of Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.