can't restore apps using titanium backup

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
That's awesome! RE: live wallpapers, yeah I think only a few work at the moment. I would also hold off on trying to get the new market working...I think I've seen some problems with it at XDA. It's likely we'll have some major changes in January anyway. ;)

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
I wonder if that's just a rumor about that update. Have you tried to tether from your phone, I also can't get the nc to see my phone yet

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Damn, you saw right through my comment. ;) Yeah, I agree 100% with you.

Tethering is pretty tricky. Some have gotten it to work no problem. Here is my theory: if your phone has infrastructure mode, then the NC will see it. I think owners of the Evo, for example, are in that boat. Not with my Droid though. But you can modify a system file (oh hey, did you get ADB working?) that will allow adhoc connections:

[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC! - xda-developers

It's pretty easy, but it made wifi a lot less stable for me. So I've opted out of that for now.

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i have a droid also and it's crazy how we can get all the new builds before vz or google decides to release them since they always push the release back. i still can't get adb on there, i have usb debugging checked even, when i go to the device manager the nook is under other devices, i can't even update the inf driver for the usb mass storage..this is how i check that the nook is connected in my command prompt:

C:\Users\OURS>cd\

C:\>cd android-sdk-windows\platforms-tools
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\>cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb kill-server

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, give this a try: connect the NC to your computer (you may need to unlock the lock screen on the NC), and then go to Device Manager. See if you can find the NC, and then try to update the driver. What ended up working for me was doing a manual driver install, and selecting "Android Composite ADB Interface." Then I pointed it to the folder in the Android SDK directory with the android_winusb.inf driver.

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
awesome i got it!! i was trying to update the wrong driver...i was trying to update the usb mass storage instead of the nook one. does adb work on here like the droid does with having to type adb shell to start to access it

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yep, exactly the same as the Droid. It's so cool when the device number finally appears, huh?

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
yea i was pumped when i seen that number pop up!! i appreciate the help, glad i joined this forum, you're the man!

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i still can't install apk's from astro although. it keeps saying installation of download apks is not supported..i have the box checked in the nook color tools to enable installs. i tried to adb install but i actually forgot since i rarely use it on my droid anymore

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
If you want to fix it manually, you'll need sqlite3 (check the platform-tools folder on your PC):

NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers - nookDevs

Code:
$ adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db 
$ sqlite3 settings.db 
sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; 
sqlite> .q 
$ adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 
$ adb reboot

ADB and cut-and-paste and about 2 minutes!

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
do i need to type adb shell before all of that? because whenever i adb shell it never works. it'll say somethin like 'command not recognized'

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
do i need to type adb shell before all of that? because whenever i adb shell it never works. it'll say somethin like 'command not recognized'
Nope, I think the $ is supposed to be the cmd prompt. If that doesn't work, check out the link above...you can download an sqlite editor app and do the modifications directly on the NC instead.

-Matt

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i'm thinking i can already install non market apps, i didn't read what it said underneath which said i have to push it to system/app for it to work properly which, of course i don't know how to do without using root explorer...btw did u install the auto script to disable ota updates?? i read b&n is pushing an update out that'll break root

i got it. i was trying to run the install command while in adb shell..oops

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
i'm thinking i can already install non market apps, i didn't read what it said underneath which said i have to push it to system/app for it to work properly which, of course i don't know how to do without using root explorer...btw did u install the auto script to disable ota updates?? i read b&n is pushing an update out that'll break root

i got it. i was trying to run the install command while in adb shell..oops
Cool, then everything is working? You've achieved master status. Are you going crazy installing dozens of apps? ;)

RE: OTA, I haven't disabled it. I figure we'll either (1) have 2.2, or (2) have a revised root+mod procedure soon, so instead of getting attached to my configuration, I'll just continue to backup with Titanium and let the OTAs have their way. (Also: my unit has a minor display defect--a small streak of light--so there is a good chance I'll get it replaced soon.)

-Matt