Can't stop email task

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Somehow the Email task got started on my S7, and I can't get it to stop. I tried deleting any accounts besides the gmail one the device requires, and I tried to set the email sync setting to "never" but it still shows up in the task list.

It wasn't there before today.

Can you stop the Email task without anything special?

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It doesn't really matter because it doesn't do enough to affect tab performance since you don't have it doing anything. It is a native app that is going to take up RAM space regardless of whether its running or you kill so I wouldn't lose sleep over it staying in your task list. Short of deleting it, there is not much you can do about it. You may want to look at this thread however to get an idea of how to delete unwanted pre-installed "bloatware" from your tablet including this email app.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...emove-some-bloatware.html?highlight=bloatware

Music

Feb 5, 2011
thanks. I just like having an empty task list. I need to learn 'tablet' some more.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
When you get comfortable with flashing a new ROM you will find that the "generic" versions have fewer startup apps.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Music, not sure if this is your first Android device or not, or if you were like me when I got my DroidX coming from Windows Mobile. In Windows you had to make sure all apps were closed or they were using system resources, battery life and affecting performance. Android is built totally different, it manages the memory and will keep apps you are not using active, but not using up your system resources or your battery, if it is not actively running (maps can be open on the task list and not actively running unless you have navigation on or something like that).

2.2 does and even better job managing this, but if you are concerned in the mean time I would look at a task killer app.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I got rid of my email task finally.

I rooted the device and used the System App Remover to get that and some other stuff off the device. Now, I can run my email app (K-9) whenever I want to check the email.

Now, If I could only control or specify which things launch when you start the device...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Will autorun start an app too? There might be an app or two that you actually want to start, but doesn't.

I think a useful work-around or alternative to having even more apps running would be to leave the device on all the time, and just put it to sleep at night. On the few occasions when you need to turn it off, you can kill the unwanted tasks yourself.

Last edited: