cant use gps/maps away from wifi connection

hollybop

Jul 2, 2012
I just got my galaxy tab 10.1 last week. I was under the impression that the gps should work via satellite even when i am not near wifi. my techie nephew installed a gps satellite checker and even when there are satellites around the gps still says its trying to find directions, or find location. is this normal?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining us here.

I am not sure, but I believe the 10.1 has a GPS radio. Make sure it is enabled in Settings - Location.

Also, you will need to be online to get directions to go somewhere. Once the directions have been found, you can go offline so long as you have a GPS radio.

I have noticed sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get a lock on the GPS signal.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm going to assume from your description that you do see the satellites but the problem is that the maps are not downloaded to your tablet (by default) unless you have an Internet connection. So if the satellites are trying to find your position on a map it will only work if on WiFi. The newest Google maps can cache some maps but also can cache a route. Plan the router on WiFi and it should be able to track it so long as you don't deviate much from that route..

If this is the case, there are some apps on the Google Store that will download the real maps to use but most cost money. Sygic is particularly good.

hollybop

Jul 2, 2012
This is very disappointing. The beauty of an old fashioned GPS is not having to plan ahead...I guess I have to plan now. Thanks for the advice, friends. And I did have location turned on in my settings, yes.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
This is very disappointing. The beauty of an old fashioned GPS is not having to plan ahead...I guess I have to plan now. Thanks for the advice, friends. And I did have location turned on in my settings, yes.

google let's you pre cache 10 square mile maps but if that is inconveniemt then use CoPilot a $5 offline navigation app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2