CFW for MID7024 based on Alldro2 Gingerbread

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Right now I'm experimenting with storing the rootfs on the internal sd instead of the NAND on my tablet.

The first thing I noticed was a faster boot time.

Only 17 seconds from the moment I press the power button to the lock screen. (vs about 26 seconds with NAND rootfs)
I'm using the stock internal sd, which is a class 4 I think? Maybe a class 10 would boot even faster

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
steev, I have done a Factory Reset in Settings after using your new partition scheme in utscript.sh and the "internal size" remained 1,5GB. Doing a "init SD card" made it the smaller regular size tho. I thought you'd like to know.

Installing rootfs on SD would be cool indeed, specially when using bigger & faster cards. It would save NAND too (it's much better to replace a broken SD than a dead NAND ;) ).

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Good to know that factory reset doesn't mess with the partitions.

I was aware that init sdcard would mess them up.
This is the script they use (init_int_sdcard.sh from the recovery image):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

MONITOR=/dev/tty0
MMC_CARD=/dev/mmcblk0
partition1=/dev/mmcblk0p1
partition2=/dev/mmcblk0p2
partition3=/dev/mmcblk0p3
partition4=/dev/mmcblk0p4

if [ -e /sys/block/mtdblock4 ]   
then

echo "Init internal SD card !"    > $MONITOR
echo "Makeing partitions..."          > $MONITOR

cd /home/
#fuse mbr
sd_fdisk $MMC_CARD
sleep 1
dd if=./sd_mbr.dat of=$MMC_CARD
sync

#refresh it
fdisk $MMC_CARD <<UT_FDISK_END
w
UT_FDISK_END

sleep 2

#########################################
# format
umount $partition1 2> /dev/null
umount $partition2 2> /dev/null
umount $partition3 2> /dev/null
umount $partition4 2> /dev/null

#echo "mkfs.vfat -F 32 $partition1"    > $MONITOR
mkfs.vfat -F 32 $partition1
# name 
mkdosfs $partition1 -n sdcard

#echo "mkfs.ext4 $partition2"        > $MONITOR
mkfs.ext4 $partition2

#echo "mkfs.ext4 $partition3"        > $MONITOR
mkfs.ext4 $partition3

#echo "mkfs.ext4 $partition4"        > $MONITOR
mkfs.ext4 $partition4

sync
echo "MMC card init successfully."    > $MONITOR
############################################################

else
echo "iNand system ! skip !"    > $MONITOR

fi

I don't think I can easily modify it without the kernel source

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011

well :) we can make "request" at the flashback team at the other forum.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

[...]

Can't you use the tutorial below to unpack the recovery image, modify the script then re-pack it?
HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki

I am very interested in adding the SD system mod to my next GingerLF version (V1.2 SpeedOfLight).

JFYI: using the latest GAPPS pack from goo-inside.me - gapps downloads (removed FOTAKill and some other stuff I don't like tho) and using the Galaxy Tab 2.3.3 fingerprint I was able to get Market to auto-update to 3.3.11, and it now shows a "staff picks for tablets". ;)

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I'll probably release something soon.

For sd rootfs you need to modify the bootargs in u-boot.bin:

-Change "root=ubi0:rootfs" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p4" for internal sd (or "root=/dev/mmcblk1p4" for extsd), you can overwrite the "ubi.mtd=4" part to make room.
-Change "rootfstype=ubifs" to "rootfstype=ext4"

You'll also have to modify utscript.sh to mount the internal sd instead of the NAND
Code:
mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/root

Attachments

• $after.png
    $after.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Funny thing: I just finished modifying utscript.sh to successfully install all files on internal microSD but it wouldn't boot. Then I thought a bit and realized I needed to change u-boot.bin args but I wasn't sure what to use, and I bricked my tablet once doing this so I thought I'd wait for your release... ;)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Well, didn't work here... I am using a new u-boot.bin with a new utscript, it uses a new file called u-boot.arg which has the proper bootarg string (or I thought so), but editing u-boot.arg as you said didn't work. Or I am doing something wrong with mi Hex editor on Mac (0xED). Lemme test with a Win virtual machine, maybe it's something to do with the Big Endian/Little Endian stuff... :confused:

Edit: the edited file looks OK... wth...

$u-boot-arg-NAND.png$u-boot-arg-SD.png

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Looks like you edited it right.

Can you post your u-boot files and utscript?

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Have you tried changing the bootargs in u-boot.bin too?

I believe it is safe (as long as you don't accidentally change anything else).
I think it's the "boardargs" that can cause a hard brick if you mess them up. Of course I could be wrong...

I'm using the latest gapps pack now, along with build.prop.tab and init.smdkv210.rc_160 from your CFW.

I'm not seeing a "Staff picks for Tablets" for some reason (Maybe the smaller screen?), but downloading paid apps works and "Smurfs' Village" shows up now :)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Nope, I didn't. I did flash the modified u-boot.arg and it was like the display driver that was load was for utgm8 instead. I didn't brick tho, I could reflash the correct one later. I have a feeling that either I am doing something wrong or 1024 can't take modified u-boot's... I will wait until warranty is over and I open the table to exchange its internal microSD to try any u-boot mod. ;)

Yes, maybe it's the screen size. Did you try a smaller dpi, like 140?

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Ah, that did it. Thanks.

I cleared market data and temporarily changed the dpi to 120, now I see "Staff Picks for Tablets"

kin_kwok

Nov 14, 2011
Just joined to say thanks on the firmware. It make the 7024 works great and support Skype video call without any hacking.

The only problem I have is that the picture and video taking by the camera is always as "mirror" image. I did not notice it until my sister told me over the skype video call.
However, the preview look fine. You can test it by using the camera apps to take a picture. The picture will be mirror image of the preview. I don't think there is problem with stock firmware.

In addition, I have two 2G Kingston microSD, one made in Japan and one made in Taiwan. I can only flash the ROM using the one from Japan. It keeps telling me no SD card if I use the one made in Taiwan.

KK :)