Change resolution

gjbnh

Dec 10, 2010
Your right of course. But the companies that do this sort of thing to make a buck lose out in good will and customer base. Like I said, NEVER BUY SILVANIA AGAIN.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
DigitalGadgets doesn't make them either.... They are a clearing house for Sylvania.

DigitalGadgets came up with the "design" and patented it and contracted with some chinese company to build them for next to nothing. DG then sold Sylvania on the idea of "branding" the tablet as theirs, so they could have their name in the Android tablet market. This is a win-win situation for Sylvania. They do nothing AND they get a profit off of every tablet sold. They no more have anything to do with making these, than they do making lightbulbs or DVD players. Sylvania is just a "brand" in name only.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
sorry to hear about it; but I have a Acer Aspire 5920 laptop going for 4 years running perfectly and its almost turn on all 24 hours a day and it still going strong, no problem at all, even with my tablet its running perfectly too, maybe you got a lucky one that was having trouble, as I said before IM sorry to hear about your case

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet using android forum

My Acer aspire 3620 was built in 2003 and I am using it right now to rip some dvds for my home theater server.... I did have to replace the cooling fan, but I was using it to run my video server and it just wore the fan out, but that was like $4 and 30 minutes of me taking it apart and putting it back together.

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
you are soooooooooooooooooooooo helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Not my fault people don't listen to someone with far my experience. I deal with people like you all the time in places I work. Generally, I roll my eyes and ignore them.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Oh come on, Giveen. You can't just jump on someone for not wanting to use the nuke option right out of the gate.

I know you're probably right, but eventually he would figure that out too. No need to get your undies all crusty over it.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Not my fault people don't listen to someone with far my experience. I deal with people like you all the time in places I work. Generally, I roll my eyes and ignore them.

LOL.... your default answers to all recent post for help or advice(me included) was either three finger reset,reflash and then "or you can keep ignoring the advice we are giving you. "

Apologies for this but that's CR*P advice. I agree in the END you may have to do a three finger(most disgos don't reset this way) or a reflashing but even I found a possible answer to my first post in this forum and this after following the standard three finger or reflash answer. But sometimes we learn from experience and sometimes we follow good or CR*PPY advice from "someone with far my experience" and then learn more or better and become wiser for it... When offering help and advice it should be all answers etc and not the LAST resort answers....

If I always did the last resort thing in my line of work I would be charged and prosecuted for endangerment,neglection of duty with possible severe out comes.

You have to start from the beginning to make sure all possibilities have been tried first this way we solve problems properly... Am no expert on tablets hence asking for help etc but I'm slowly learning.. I have two Android phones (been using android since 2009, pdas since 1986 and smartphones since the errison r380)and learned so much but you can't apply everything from the phones to tablets (NO MATTER WHAT THE COST OF THE TABLET) and thats where forums come in and we all have come too them looking for advice etc and have learned and then pass it on too others. Lets keep it that way, and even though you may know in the end a reflash is all that can be done. Try the other answers first as people learn and use that to help other when your not around to help(thats how forums work)...

regards
Lohtse

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
LOL.... your default answers to all recent post for help or advice(me included) was either three finger reset,reflash and then "or you can keep ignoring the advice we are giving you. "

Apologies for this but that's CR*P advice. I agree in the END you may have to do a three finger(most disgos don't reset this way) or a reflashing but even I found a possible answer to my first post in this forum and this after following the standard three finger or reflash answer. But sometimes we learn from experience and sometimes we follow good or CR*PPY advice from "someone with far my experience" and then learn more or better and become wiser for it... When offering help and advice it should be all answers etc and not the LAST resort answers....

If I always did the last resort thing in my line of work I would be charged and prosecuted for endangerment,neglection of duty with possible severe out comes.

You have to start from the beginning to make sure all possibilities have been tried first this way we solve problems properly... Am no expert on tablets hence asking for help etc but I'm slowly learning.. I have two Android phones (been using android since 2009, pdas since 1986 and smartphones since the errison r380)and learned so much but you can't apply everything from the phones to tablets (NO MATTER WHAT THE COST OF THE TABLET) and thats where forums come in and we all have come too them looking for advice etc and have learned and then pass it on too others. Lets keep it that way, and even though you may know in the end a reflash is all that can be done. Try the other answers first as people learn and use that to help other when your not around to help(thats how forums work)...

regards
Lohtse

And I am a computer support personal with 9 years of Windows, Linux, Android, Blackberry, and server support. I've programmed in C, C+, VB, and C#. I am going to school for information security and digital forensics.

I am an expert in tablets. That is why I can see the problem and know the answer. Despite you being a USER, using does not always give you experience in fixing problems.

I do fix these things for people all the time. If you do not want to listen to advice, fine, whatever, no skin off my back for free advice.

Cheap tablets are built with cheap chips, and are usually with poor support. Price has a lot to do with everything in electronics. I would trust a Apple iPad over an infotmic tablet, a company I have never heard off till I started my research into this tablet.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
And I am a computer support personal with 9 years of Windows, Linux, Android, Blackberry, and server support. I've programmed in C, C+, VB, and C#. I am going to school for information security and digital forensics.

I am an expert in tablets. That is why I can see the problem and know the answer. Despite you being a USER, using does not always give you experience in fixing problems.

I do fix these things for people all the time. If you do not want to listen to advice, fine, whatever, no skin off my back for free advice.

Cheap tablets are built with cheap chips, and are usually with poor support. Price has a lot to do with everything in electronics. I would trust a Apple iPad over an infotmic tablet, a company I have never heard off till I started my research into this tablet.

well that explains everything. Oh as to user... My main occupation may not be IT but!!!! Yes there's a but, never and I do mean NEVER judge a book by it's cover!!!! I suspect am somewhat older than you and have been programming since the days of the spectrum 48k I hold several IT Diploma's from management to forensics as to being "TABLET EXPERT" then get of that high horse of yours and come up with REAL solutions and not simple advice just as given over a phone when any of us have had the need to call tech support.

As to cheap tablets... Here in the UK theses are regarded as MID RANGE tablets and they retail from as much as £150. It's only when you go on line you see a price difference..

NOW lets get this topic back on track and offer help and support....

Last edited:

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Yes there's a but, never and I do mean NEVER judge a book by it's cover!!!!

Very true words.

I've only been mucking with computers since the 8086. That's what...27 or 28 years ago? I can probably whistle a 2400 baud connection.

Whats truly funny though, is that my dad said I'd never make any money at it.

LOL

pauljulian

Aug 4, 2011
My dad, too, may he rest in peace... until he got a PC and didn't know what the hell to do with it. "This is what you do for a living? Sorry... I was wrong."
One of the few times he would admit to being wrong...
Been doing computers since '88, with everything from a Burroughs B2900 (the only one still in operation in 1990) to a Cray YMP... from an Apple Lisa to a mongo Mac Pro... seen a lot of digital history myself... this little thing is useful for adding to my skillset... as crappy as the OS flavor is, been root exploring and tweaking my ass off... doing a rebuild to Beta 4 as we speak as a complete restore earlier made it sad... wouldn't boot.

*sigh*

Again, definitely not a unit I'd take with me on a service call, as I'd waste too much time on bootup and crappy battery capacity. Fun to eff around with, though.

Have to say, I was amused at Sylvania bending over backwards in their very non-helpful so-called "documentation" to say "This is not a computer. This is not a computer. It's a device to surf the web and watch movies.

Got an ARM processor running a flavor of Linux called Android, so if it's not a computer, what the hell is it? A giraffe?

Last edited:

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I got you all beat.... I started with a Vic20, moved up to a C-64 and a TRS-80. First started programming on an Apple Macintosh at school.... Skipped taking Fortran and Cobal because I never thought it would be worth it and regret to this day that I didn't take C+ or C++ courses. I am currently trying to teach myself Linux, but at 40+ years old, it starts to all blur together!!

If it is broke, I can fix it. If it needs tweaked, I can tweak it. If it needs to be built from the ground up.... I know a guy! :)

Last edited:

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
good to see am NOT the only OLD FART here:)..LOL;)

Shame the youngsters seem to think they own the IT world :mad:LOL:mad:

They have it so easy today with wonderful UI's and integrated OS's most of the hard work is done for them(including for the "IT support guys")..... :D

I still love the old days and love to mess with code and DOS etc...:rolleyes::cool:;):D

Every device I have I will load up various Programming languages when they become available and just tinker for the heck of it.

Last edited:

thomasmc

Aug 25, 2011
Very true words.

I've only been mucking with computers since the 8086. That's what...27 or 28 years ago? I can probably whistle a 2400 baud connection.
LOL

I prefered the Z-80, man I loved that CPU, all those prime registers the 8086 didn't have. I bought a TRS-80 the week they became available. Magnificent 4k RAM, but the day the 16k chip became available, I blew half a week's pay upgrading. There wasn't anything you couldn't do with 16k and an Assembly Language compiler! That would have been around 1980 or so, so around 30 years ago, for me. Oh, and it was only 300 baud back then.

People used to laugh and say, "who the heck is ever going to want a COMPUTER in their home?!?" hehe.

Last edited:

pauljulian

Aug 4, 2011
My college taught me BASIC on a Trash-80, COBOL and RPG on an IBM System 34, and systems analysis and design on a Tandy 1000. I did my homework, alternating between an Apple IIgs and a Tandy CoCo plugged into my TV.

Good time...