Charging S7 by micro USB cable? OH YES!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
See the pictures?
My S7 is charging from any appropriate USB power source by way of a micro USB cable!
I thought long and hard about this and the difficulty in getting hold of the correct power tip and then having another cable to carry so.......
I got hold of a couple of short micro male to micro female extension leads.
I pared the insulation in the middle of the cable and found four wires.
I know that the red and black carry the power and so I bared these two and wired in the "normal" power cord and the result is a patch cord that allows charging by micro USB cable.
This gives complete freedom to charge from any suitable source and as can be seen in the pics I'm using an energizer Xpal 18000mAh external power pack for this illustration.
But, it works from any standard USB A socket as long as I'm not using the device at the time.
Next step is to put a USB A female socket on the end of the Huawei power supply and Bingo! Standardisation of required cable for all my devices.
I will "clean up" the connections for daily use and remember we all have a suitable power tip on the power supply that comes with the device.
I hope the pics are clear enough for this to see what I have done.
Sync still works with this cable!

Attachments

• $IMG_20110512_163045.jpg
    $IMG_20110512_163045.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 4,440
  • $IMG_20110512_163020.jpg
    $IMG_20110512_163020.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 3,742
Last edited:

dgnyberg

Mar 22, 2011
OK, I see both a power cord connected and a micro-usb connection.
If you unplug the power connector, does it still charge?
I use a 9000mah portable battery to recharge when not
near an outlet or in my car. It works great, and I get
3-4 complete charges before I have to recharge the
portable battery.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
OK, I see both a power cord connected and a micro-usb connection.
If you unplug the power connector, does it still charge?
I use a 9000mah portable battery to recharge when not
near an outlet or in my car. It works great, and I get
3-4 complete charges before I have to recharge the
portable battery.

The S7, as has been mentioned adnausium, does not charge through it's micro USB port.
I have never and do not now claim this. Nor will I ever until I can get inside and rewire the damn thing.
I'm glad about your external pack.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I finally made this patch cable.
The connector is larger than I would have liked but it works and is robust enough.

Attachments

• $100_0846.JPG
    $100_0846.JPG
    674.1 KB · Views: 3,162

hcpass

May 1, 2011
Can you explain the utilitie of wirering the usb port and the power port at the same time? Why not directly the external battery to the the power port and let the usb port free?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think the point is you can have this connected to your PC and both sync and charge. Very cool really.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
circuit diagram?Simplified drawing
Well there are only 4 wires in the sync cable black and red (power) and white and green (data).
There are two in the power cable black and red (power again obviously).
Make sure the same colours are reconected when constructing and that's all here is to it really.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I think the point is you can have this connected to your PC and both sync and charge. Very cool really.
That's correct! And from ANY USB port.
Plus you only need one micro USB cable for all charging/syncing purposes.
I leave the patch cable connected at all times and don't have to worry about the 3.2mm power tip being a non standard item.

hcpass

May 1, 2011
okayyyy....!!! The confusion come for me that you show an external battery to show your tip cable! for me it wasn't necessary to use this kind of cable to charge the S7 with an external battery. I think it should be better to show your tip in real situation with a laptop (USB) to show your multitasking cable. very usefull!!

Thanks

Regards

Stéph.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
okayyyy....!!! The confusion come for me that you show an external battery to show your tip cable! for me it wasn't necessary to use this kind of cable to charge the S7 with an external battery. I think it should be better to show your tip in real situation with a laptop (USB) to show your multitasking cable. very usefull!!

Thanks

Regards

Stéph.
Sorry for any confusion, but, I'm still not sure what caused it.
External pwer pack, PC, laptop, many wall chargers, ALL HAVE USB PORT.
You can therefore use any and all of them with just one cable.

hcpass

May 1, 2011
No matter don't worry, it's only a question of personnal point of view, the most important thing is that you've make a good tip for the community.

Thanks.

Stéph.

jayoscar

Sep 22, 2011
I've some reserve point on this part. As you can check the charger output is 2A instead of USB output 500mA. I doubt this is not a good idea for long term charging. Does it will reduce lifespan of your device as current is not fulfil requirement.I've other huawei device using same 2A 5V adpater, and now can't use a mod 1A 5V provide current to it.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure the device will be O.K., and it may be better for the battery. The problem is it'll take 4X as long to charge when using the USB compared to the charger.

Feb 11, 2012
i have a question,how would you charge an android tabelt if the charger port detatched from the device and is inside the tablet,is there any way to possibly charge it.