Charging with non-Coby Charger

eruby

May 17, 2011
I just picked up 2 wall chargers on the cheap from a yard sale. They were used for a Samsung cell phone. My Coby charger says it's 2amps. The Samsung is 5amps. Will I do any damage to the battery using these chargers?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You need same voltage (V - Volts), and at least same current (A - Amperes). So if your charger says 9V, you need a power supply with also 9V. If the original power supply says 2A, you need one with 2A or more. Also make sure the polarity is the same (positive and negative) or it won´t work.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Don't want to fry the battery

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Android Tablet Forum

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
I'm using a 5V/3A charger on my 7022 (which comes with a 2A charger) no problems so far.

Seriously though, if you're plugging in something which is not the proper charger for the first time check the following:

Voltage
Current (If it's switchmode more is fine, if it's transfomer based [read: heavy] try and match it as closely as possible)
Pin size
Polarity (there should be a symbol somewhere on the plugpack with a couple of lines and two circles (one inside the other) make sure this matches, although most devices have ground/negative on the outside)

eruby

May 17, 2011
The samsung chargers are both 5v/5a. The Coby charger is 5v/2a. I already checked the polarity. I was just checking id a 5a charge might damage anything since the oem is 2a.

wrxnfx

Sep 29, 2011
I'm using a 5V/3A charger on my 7022 (which comes with a 2A charger) no problems so far.

Seriously though, if you're plugging in something which is not the proper charger for the first time check the following:

Voltage
Current (If it's switchmode more is fine, if it's transfomer based [read: heavy] try and match it as closely as possible)
Pin size
Polarity (there should be a symbol somewhere on the plugpack with a couple of lines and two circles (one inside the other) make sure this matches, although most devices have ground/negative on the outside)

The voltage and polarity are very important so you don't fry you tablet on the first plug-in. In your situation the amperage is important, too, but not as much. If the charger is showing 5A, then that means that it can run "up to" the 5A. The important point here is that the device you are charging doesn't exceed that 5A limit. So since the original charger only had 2A, then you're still under the 5A limit which means it won't harm your device as long as the voltage and polarity are correct as well.