Chewing Through SD Cards

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
My tab seems to be eating SD cards. I went to watch some movies and noticed the 4 movies I had on my SD were gone. I take it out to put them back on and Windows won't read the card, says it needs formatted. Upon that effort, it says cannot compete the format and won't even give me the option of FAT32, just NTFS and FAT.

This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first was to a 16GB card, and this now to an 8GB. Both Lexar class 4 cards. I use the same 8GB card in my phone no problem ever. I find it very hard to believe that it's anything but my tab eating them/corrupting somehow.

Anyone else having a problem with it eating cards? I'm probably going to send a mail to Acer Support and see what they have to say.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Acer recommend certain cards and i dont think lexar is one of them.
I use Sandisk in my tab but have lexar in a couple of cameras without issue.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Also, I think Acer recomments SDHD class 10 cards, not class 4. Why they can't make the flippin port universal is beyond me, but still...
That said, however, I should mention that I have yet to use SD cards in my a500 at all, so I cannot testify to class 10 working any better.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Well, got the email back from tech...and it was basically useless as I figured it would be. Told me that they only take FAT16/32 format cards....knew this...... and that I should format it in my PC. I did say they won't format in my PC...but I guess they don't read emails that well or some context gets lost in the translation....

I will probably just try and go with a class 10 sandisk. I don't really want to spend the money on it, but what can ya do?

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
I've been using fat formatted flash drives in my tablet. They may not be as convinient as just slipping in the micro SD, but I plug them in and they're usable faster than I can get to my file manager, and when I'm done, I simply take it out (I do feel weird without a "safe remove" for the flash, but still). And its been great for me. The only issues with external media that I've really encountered is ntfs and multi-partitioned flash drives. The former wouldnt read and the latter got currupted (but a simple reformat made them usable again)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If the card won't even format in your PC, then why blame Acer?

Crappy cards is my guess. I've had ZERO problems with mine. I never move mine form tablet to pc. I use a USB flash drive for that, or do it wirelessly.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
I'm not blaming Acer. I just find it unlikely that I can use the same brand/size card in my phone and never have a problem, but I've had to replace 2 in 2 months on the tab. I'm just curious what might be causing the cards to get corrupted or why they aren't able to take a format. Seems to be something my tab is doing.''

***upon further inspection I noticed that my phone is using sandisk cards! oops looks like I'll be sticking with them

Last edited:

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Also, I think Acer recomments SDHD class 10 cards, not class 4. Why they can't make the flippin port universal is beyond me, but still...
That said, however, I should mention that I have yet to use SD cards in my a500 at all, so I cannot testify to class 10 working any better.
I have an 8gig sandisk class 2 in mine and I have not had a problem with it.
There is an app called dropbox that you can install on your pc and tablet.
You just put something in it on your pc and it come up on your tablet or vice-verse.

Last edited:

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Quality varies with sd card makers. I do not think Acer is the problem. Such media has a limited write and rewrite capability. The higher the quality of the card the longer it will last. There are certain brands I stay away from due to this limitation of limited write and rewrite.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Okay, so get this. It formatted fine in my camera. Then was able to move it over to the PC and reformat. Putting some movies on now, then will throw in the tab and see. Very odd that it will in a camera and not on the computer.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I have had that problem with some of my cheaper sdcards, this is not uncommon. Sometimes the card develops an error in its fat system and will not reformat. May be a weakness in the fat file system...

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Okay, so get this. It formatted fine in my camera. Then was able to move it over to the PC and reformat. Putting some movies on now, then will throw in the tab and see. Very odd that it will in a camera and not on the computer.

So how did it go?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I just want to chime in that I lost a 16GB micro-SD in the same way.

It was PNY, and I got it at Best Buy when I bought the tablet.

I reformatted it and it works again, but I don't use it with the tablet or really for anything important... I use a 2 GB card in my tablet now (as I had it lying around), it's generic and doesn't have a name on it, and it hasn't given me any problems, but again, I haven't used it too much because the tab ruined the first one...