Child Pad - Archos unveils $129 Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich' tablet

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | March 2, 2012, 2:52am PST
Summary: A tablet for kids and big kids alike!
It might not give the next-generation iPad a run for its money, but Archos has unveiled a kid-centric Android-powered tablet that won’t break the bank.

Called the Child Pad, the tablet costs $129 and features a 7-inch screen, runs a 1GHz processor and has 1GB RAM (actual hardware details are hazy at present). The tablet is powered by a retweaked Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ operating system that has been optimized for youngsters.

Note: From the specifications provided, it’s hard to tell if this is a decent tablet for the price of yet another ‘cheap and nasty’ offering with a kid-centric user interface. I’ve approached Archos for more details on the hardware and will post an update here should I get a reply.

There’s also an AppsLib-powered Kids App Store, which will allow the youngsters driving this tablet to choose from a range of child-suitable apps from 14 categories. To get them started, Archos will preload 28 apps including Angry Birds.

Archos says that the Child Pad complies with both CIPA and COPPA regulations, which means a safer tablet environment for kids, and improved peace of mind for parents.

The Child Pad will be available in stores at the end of March and has a price tag of $129. At that price this could make a fun tinkering platform if you’re into that sort of thing!

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
this tablet leaves more questions open than answered. i guess for $130 its a cheap way to get an ICS powered device

satellitemark

Jan 9, 2012
This sounds good, we have many archos tablets around our home & they all have decent build quality.
Ive not seen this in the uk or I would have been tempted for my grandson, instead i have bought a A10 ICS allwinner 7inch pad off ebay for his birthday which im customising with apps and games suitable for his age group the pad has a 1.2 processor with 8gb memory & cost 90 gbp delivered.

Mark