Chinese Tablets On eBay

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by Sir Oki, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Sir Oki

Sir Oki Junior Member

Hi. I'm buying a new tablet and considering one of the cheaper ones from China that feature on eBay.

Just asking 1. Is it a straightforward matter of same components (Processor, memory, etc.) as a tablet bought here in GB, with the same performance? And 2. Would it be easy to wipe and root one and install a custom ROM?

2. Traveller

Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Lenovo Tab 4 (8"), numerous phones
    1. It's not straightforward. With a Chinese tablet you really do get what you pay for.
    2. No. You'd have to hope other people have the device you buy before you could root it and flash a custom ROM. Hopefully they've already done the work, otherwise you would have to do low level research into finding an exploit to allow root. Once you do that you would then have to create the custom recovery needed to flash anything to the tablet. If you get this far then you still have to physically build a source tree for the device so you can build a custom ROM. This assumes of course that the tablet manufacturer has made the kernel source available. Most don't, even though they are supposed to.

Stick to a name brand tablet. You'll have far fewer headaches that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ronf1011

ronf1011 Senior Member

Just read specs closely, because a lot of Chinese made tablets can be great, I bought the Huawei 8.4 inch tablet and I love it. Mostly look at ram, storage cap, screen res, does it have Google services installed, and good luck, just remember you get what you pay for, even in China.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

4. Traveller

Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Lenovo Tab 4 (8"), numerous phones
    @ronf1011 Huawei is also a name brand. The Chinese tablets referred to in the post are the no-name models you can get for a song and a dime.

5. belton

belton Junior Member

It's all about specifications, compare them closely to get the most bang for your buck