Chrome Denies Pasting Yet IE Doesn't, WHY?

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
Could someone please explain to me why it is that if I see something on another website and want to bring it here, I Copy & Paste but the pasting never works, via Chrome, yet if I minimise this window and open IE, then I am able to paste here. Chrome denies pasting, yet IE doesn't.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yep. The quick text box is in WYSIWYG mode by default on Chrome. You need to change the box to source mode to be able to paste. To do that you simply need to click the leftmost button on the toolbar, the button marked "A/A". You'll know you're in source mode when that button turns gray. As to why Chrome defaults to WYSIWYG, I don't know.

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
Yep. The quick text box is in WYSIWYG mode by default on Chrome. You need to change the box to source mode to be able to paste. To do that you simply need to click the leftmost button on the toolbar, the button marked "A/A". You'll know you're in source mode when that button turns gray. As to why Chrome defaults to WYSIWYG, I don't know.

I will do that and report back later, thanks

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
I am just testing the advice given. Aim to paste:- (failed)
Followed by clicking the A/A button on left :- GoTab 6 inch Android 4.0 Tablet with Google Play and 4GB Storage

Well sod me!. I will now leave this site and return to see if it has remained as I would wish, or if I have to click A/A again.

OK, so I will endevour to paste something without touching the A/A :- NO!
Now with the A/A clicked :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000644603

So that tells me that anytime I want to paste something, instead of going to IE to do it, by touching the A/A it will work. But I am wondering can this be customised so there is no need to click the A/a each time (not that it's a big deal), cause if it works on IE naturally, why not here?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Boat browser on a tablet by default sets the quick text box in source mode rather than WYSIWYG. As to the PC, I've searched and there's no way I know of to have the text box in source mode by default on Chrome. I haven't tested IE and won't bother either.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Then I misunderstood your post to some extent, since it seemed as if you were attempting to access the site using Chrome for Android as well as your laptop's browser. You will note however that after mentioning Boat Browser I do go back to talking about the PC.

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
If there is/ was any misunderstanding, then it will be me. Not only am I new to many of these words used now I have a tablet, but I'm an old duffer, I would have said an old fart, but will probably be told off about saying that.

Saralee63

Apr 27, 2013
If there is/ was any misunderstanding, then it will be me. Not only am I new to many of these words used now I have a tablet, but I'm an old duffer, I would have said an old fart, but will probably be told off about saying that.

hehe made me giggle