Clockwork mod recovery and cm7 working on the coby kyros 7022.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Cm7 wasn't much of an upgrade but recovery is nice. Backed up my rom and can reload my current rom which comes in handy because I'm testing a lot of different things. There is a system update feature in settings that may work to install recovery but I used the android sdk client on my pc. Installing using fast boot is not for beginners but can be done by one with proper instructions. Will post instructions and files if anyone is interested.
Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

opamp

Nov 13, 2010
I would like the instruction, I want to backup and expand the program NAND partition 256 meg is just too small now days !!!

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Here are the two links for clockwork recov and cm7
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/cm7/20110619/EM73-8K/EM73-8K-recovery-signed.zip
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/cm7/20110619/EM73-8K/EM73-8K-cyanogen-signed.zip

You will need to extract the recovery zip because the recovery img is in it. Go download the android sdk(google it) and when it's all done and installed go to this site(Free download button at the bottom)
https://rs823tl4.rapidshare.com/#!d...pi.dll|106|R~FB49C2FE0EB6A2A643527172EE0A5F05
and download this dll. It's called apdb32 something like it but anyway place that dll after you download it in your androidsdk\tools folder.Also put the recovery.img in the tools folder. Now turn your tablet off. Hold down the Menu button while turning it on you will get a message saying reset or plug in usb. Plug in your tablet to your pc and let windows install all the needed drivers(about 15 seconds). Open a command prompt and browse out to the tools directory once your sitting on that directory type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' once that's done(5 secs) type 'fastboot reboot'. Your tablet will reboot and you know have CM recovery. I'm assuming you know how to install cm7 from recovery.MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
to install my clockworkmod recovery, no need to install Android SDK, no need to use PC, and no need to unzip recovery.zip.
please read post#1 and post#2 here for correct procedure: [DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 4 for TCC8902/TCC8803 tablets - xda-developers
if you don't follow my correct procedure, I can't help you. please read carefully.

all you need is
1. make backup of stock recovery by installing dump.zip from stock recovery (enter by BACK + POWER ON)
2. install clockworkmod recovery by installing recovery.zip from stock recovery (no need to unzip)
3. make complete backup of stock rom by running backup from clockworkmod recovery

at this time EM73 8K files should work on COBY MID7022. sometimes chinese factory changes hardware silently, so if EM73 8K doesn't work, please stop installing, reflash backuped stock recovery, and tell me on that XDA thread.

Last edited:

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
to install my clockworkmod recovery, no need to install Android SDK, no need to use PC, and no need to unzip recovery.zip.
please read post#1 and post#2 here for correct procedure: [DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 4 for TCC8902/TCC8803 tablets - xda-developers
if you don't follow my correct procedure, I can't help you. please read carefully.

all you need is
1. make backup of stock recovery by installing dump.zip from stock recovery (enter by BACK + POWER ON)
2. install clockworkmod recovery by installing recovery.zip from stock recovery (no need to unzip)

at this time EM73 8K files should work on COBY MID7022. sometimes chinese factory changes hardware silently, so if EM73 8K doesn't work, please stop installing, reflash backuped stock recovery, and tell me on that XDA thread.
Fun my way isn't incorrect just a different way of doing it. I tried it your way and I couldn't get my coby to boot into recovery holding down the back button while pressing the power button. The recovery symbol came up and then a box with an exclamation point came up and it wouldn't do anything else. I mentioned on xda site that cm7 was working and recovery as well. I saw on your site about fast boot so I researched and learned how to do it. I would suggest doing fun's way first because it's easier and much more simple. If that doesn't work then the procedure i created will work as well.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
stock recovery must work because it is required to run "erase private data" from android and install official update(when available).
and it's working (I got a report) on at least 1 COBY MID7022.

but of course I don't know all individual unit bought by users are fine.

jermaine151

Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys! I just picked up my 7022 today and I can confirm that I'm able to get the factory recovery menu by pressing power, immediately followed by pressing and holding the back button until it appears. About to try fun's method of flashing CWM.

Thanks fun for your support on this device. Thank you daprospecta for your info and videos. I've been on XDA for a while and your videos helped me to decide to try this tablet out. Right now I'm still undecided but I'm just getting a chance to really mess with it and try to install the market, root, a different launcher, etc. I'll be watching over these forums for new developments.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
is this same as rooting the 7022?

There is an app in the market called super user. That program gives you root but there is a zip that you have to flash in recovery to complete the process. That its why you need clockwork mod recovery. there is a topic in the technical forum that will explain this in its entirety. Please read all the posts before installing recovery and rooting.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
is this same as rooting the 7022?

I couldn't find the topic for rooting but once you get clockwork mod working download super user from the market and it will put a file on your sdcard. Reboot into recovery and look for the option install zip from sd card and choose the file. Reboot and you will be rooted. Sometimes the file is empty that the program writes to your sdcard. I posted a file on one of these topics about the 7022 but if you can't find it then pm your email and ill email you the file.

skippyturtle

Jun 6, 2011
i was able to install the clockwork recovery thru the update tab in settings. just renamed the file to update.zip and installed from sdcard. I installed CM7 and it was fine for about 15 minutes then the touch panel was not responsive at all.I tried re-installing,clearing the dalvik cache and wiping. same thing happened over and over. just re-flashed the backup original i made. i'll try another ROM if one comes out.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
i was able to install the clockwork recovery thru the update tab in settings. just renamed the file to update.zip and installed from sdcard. I installed CM7 and it was fine for about 15 minutes then the touch panel was not responsive at all.I tried re-installing,clearing the dalvik cache and wiping. same thing happened over and over. just re-flashed the backup original i made. i'll try another ROM if one comes out.

That's great news. For all who r trying to install cmd recovery follow this route. I was going to try it but fun said not to because it hadn't been tested yet. Glad to know it works.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Once clockworldmod is installed how do I root from there? (Sorry I am use to just using 1 touch z4root to root the device then just installing clockworld mod recovery through rom manager)

fun

Aug 19, 2010

I think your 7022 has hardware problem. I saw some EM73 has same problem regardless of ROM(stock or my CM7), but others are working fine... please ask for repairing to your local reseller.

it also has problems on suspend/resume and/or power off/on.