Clockwork mod recovery and cm7 working on the coby kyros 7022.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
A testimonial for ClockworkMod. I was messing around with various apps yesterday on my rooted 7022, and messed something up. Everything was working fine. I powered it off for a while, and it would not reboot. It got to the Android name and just flashed on and off slowly. I almost panicked, but finally powered up into ClockworkMod mode and restored. I lost the apps I had installed lately, and it was no longer rooted. I didn't go back to factory, just restored to where I was when installed ClockworkMod. I then rooted it again by running the update.zip from Clockwork, and everything was fine. took about five minutes. I'm a believer!

Yea I screwed up installing Rom Manager which forced a incompatible clockworkmod without me asking. Ever since that nightmare I try to make backups at least once every two weeks just so I don't lose too much data in case I get stuck on the android screen again.

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
hey all, just joined this community. Been on xda since '08. Just bought my 5yr old daughter a 7022. daprospecta and fun, thanks for all help. I wanna root this thing. AmI understanding right that you can install a custom recovery straight outta the box, then just need to flash SU? That'd be great! To root my evo, had to do all sorts of crazy magic to downgrade system img and install flash_img, etc. If i can just drop cwm as update.zip on here that'd be awesome. I dont need to install flash_image or busybox or any of those steps? please tell me if i'm missing something, thanks a ton. Oh, and did stock kernel get added to the recovery to avoid TS problems?

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
A bit confused. So dump.zip bacjs up stock recivery? ok, but how do you flash a zip before you have a custom recovery? I'm familiar with rooting, generally, but this here confoundd me just a bit. any help much appreciated . thanks

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
A bit confused. So dump.zip bacjs up stock recivery? ok, but how do you flash a zip before you have a custom recovery? I'm familiar with rooting, generally, but this here confoundd me just a bit. any help much appreciated . thanks

Go to settings>about device>system updates>install system updates>from sd card. Place the dump. Zip in the micro sd card and re name it update.zip. rooting this device is much easier then rooting an android phone here are the steps.
1. Dump the stock recovery
2. Flash clockworkmod4
4. Backup your tablet using clockworkmod4
5.flash the su
When flashing a zip rename it to update.zip
Hope this helps.
Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Go to settings>about device>system updates>install system updates>from sd card. Place the dump. Zip in the micro sd card and re name it update.zip. rooting this device is much easier then rooting an android phone here are the steps.
1. Dump the stock recovery
2. Flash clockworkmod4
4. Backup your tablet using clockworkmod4
5.flash the su
When flashing a zip rename it to update.zip
Hope this helps.

I couldnt believe how easy this was. Who woulda thought. They should allow this in phones. easiest root ever done. you must flash su from clockwrkmod recovery for root.

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
thanks for the reply. I actually rooted 5min after my post. The damn thing basically COMES with root right out of the box! All you gotta do is drop a custom recovery on it and SU for controlling permissions. ;) The fact you can replace stock recovery with custom recovery without having to do ANYTHING is amazing. ......no bootloader to crack or anything. I love it. Yes, phones should be like this . One thing I didnt do is backup the stock recovery (dont really see the point), but i couldnt find the dump zip. so I skipped that step. .............Anyhow, thanks for this thread :) oh, edit, I did the update.zip method from settings menu. (this has a weird filesystem..., the tflash folder)

Last edited:

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I couldnt believe how easy this was. Who woulda thought. They should allow this in phones. easiest root ever done. you must flash su from clockwrkmod recovery for root.

Yea its really easy technacally you can flash su from stock recovery but then you wouldn't be able to unroot in the future. I am really happy with this tablet, yesterday i flashed files and formatted the device which got rid of the OS but was able to recover it back with clockworkmod. I don't know how anyone can brick this device if they backed up recovery and did a clockworkmod backup

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
Can someone please explain to me the poiny of backing up the stock recovery? I've had my Evo rooted for over a year, and it's seen a LOT of flashing, and never even considered needing the stock recovery back. also, wouldnt the stock recovery be the same on all these? if so, could someone please post it. I couldnt find the dump zip, so never backed mine up. thanks

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Can someone please explain to me the poiny of backing up the stock recovery? I've had my Evo rooted for over a year, and it's seen a LOT of flashing, and never even considered needing the stock recovery back. also, wouldnt the stock recovery be the same on all these? if so, could someone please post it. I couldnt find the dump zip, so never backed mine up. thanks

Well the only reason i could think of right now is if your tablet gets a hardware problem and want to send it to Coby for a RMA. Using clockworkmod voids warrenty. I attached the files that were dumped. I don't know if they are device specific.

Attachments

• $Stock Recovery.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 470
Last edited:

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
so, what is fwdn? I pressed the wrong combination of buttons to get into recovery, and it has the bootscreen with blue text that says, 'the device enter fwdn mode, plug into pc or choose reset'. I havent made a nand backup yet cuzI forgot to buuuy an sd card, and only have one too small to hold a nand backup. how do i get out of tthis screen???? Please help. thanks in advance

scottspa74

Jul 30, 2011
ok, so I guess my question is, in fdwn, does reaer mean reboot, or dormat rom? Thanks in adavance . ....please help

Last edited:

zac

Mar 8, 2011
* How to install/use ClockworkMod Recovery 4
1.Download this file http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ery-cm7-working-coby-kyros-7022-a.html&title=[DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7%2FClockworkMod Recovery 4 for TCC8902%2FTCC8803 tablets - xda-developers&txt=dump-recovery-signed.zip
2.In windows format your SD card as FAT32 (not quick format)
3.create a folder by name sdcard in your SD CARD
4.Copy the above downloaded file to sdcard folder
5.rename the file as update.zip
6.Insert the sd card to MID7022
7.Go to Settings --> About Device -->System Updates --> Install System Updates --> FromSD card
clockworkmod will be booted on next reboot recovery.
Credit goes to fun_@http://forum.xda-developers.com

Now you should be in recovery console.
FIRST thing to do is backup your STOCK ROM
Navigation keys on clockworkmod, MENU = next item, HOME or POWER = select, BACK = back.
Once backup is completed. Please save the backup to secure location other than SD card
Now reboot the tablet.

Rooting
1.Insert the same SD card to your PC
2.Goto Superuser 2.3.6.3 [17 June 2011]
3.Download Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb
<http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip>
4.Copy the file to /sdcard folder in your SD Card
5.reboot your MID7022 into recovery mode.
to reboot recovery
1.power down the tablet
2.hold power and back button( round silver button)
this should bring up clockworkmod recovery console
6.select install zip from sdcard
7.browse and select su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
it should install and root your device
8. enjoy your new rooted MID7022
Bala

Hello:

Can somebody help ... when I follow the link to step-1 it says "File not Found" I would greatly appreciate if somebody could share that file. Thanks

Also another question .. Since I can't get my MicroSD card reader to work properly on my computer, can I format the drive to FAT32 connected thru my MID 7022 ?? Once connected thru the tablet it shows up as F: drive on my computer and when I right click it is giving me the option to Format the drive ...

Another question how do we know whether clockwork mod is actually installed in the system ??

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Best regards,

Zac.

Last edited:

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
so, what is fwdn? I pressed the wrong combination of buttons to get into recovery, and it has the bootscreen with blue text that says, 'the device enter fwdn mode, plug into pc or choose reset'. I havent made a nand backup yet cuzI forgot to buuuy an sd card, and only have one too small to hold a nand backup. how do i get out of tthis screen???? Please help. thanks in advance

Press the small button on the lower back side of the tablet that says reset

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum