Clockworkmod for MID9742

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
your build.prop don't stick cause in /system/bin there is a file that reverts it back to stock, file is called preinstall.sh

you can do several things, delete it or edited it.

edit this line

$BUSYBOX cp /mnt/nanda/vendor/system/build.prop /system/

add # in front of it and save.

should now look like this

# $BUSYBOX cp /mnt/nanda/vendor/system/build.prop /system/

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Bastards. :)

I honestly didn't know about that. The Dell Streak does something similar with a file Dell named "install-recovery.sh". In the case of install-recovery.sh, it overwrote the existing recovery with the stock one on every boot. Fortunately it didn't affect root. In this case, they have the build.prop stored within a hidden partition in the memory and this file sends it back.

Good thing I did a nandroid backup. I'll have to update that backup, and a couple others.

Last edited:

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
Many thanks Traveller1701 and Vampirefo for the recovery and .zip file to get this done, along with the batch file with adb included to make root and recovery soo easy! Only way it would have been any easier is if you had included with Windows adb driver folders to install the "android" device for adb.
Vampirefo, i've appreciated your work since the sdx-developer days with the samsung moment, and I'm extatic to hear that you are developing for the Coby Kyros!

Has anyone heard anything about the roms from Tipstir over at www.kyros-tablet-zone.teamtalk.net?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Many thanks Traveller1701 and Vampirefo for the recovery and .zip file to get this done, along with the batch file with adb included to make root and recovery soo easy! Only way it would have been any easier is if you had included with Windows adb driver folders to install the "android" device for adb.
Vampirefo, i've appreciated your work since the sdx-developer days with the samsung moment, and I'm extatic to hear that you are developing for the Coby Kyros!

Has anyone heard anything about the roms from Tipstir over at www.kyros-tablet-zone.teamtalk.net?

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...9-has-anyone-used-pre-built-roms-bulldog.html

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
As a followup to my earlier replies to this thread, I got the build.prop straightened out. At the same time I added a few "fixes" to the build.prop to improve a few things: battery life, Internet, and streaming video. And apparently, just as my 9742 does not have the line in init.sun4i.rc to block superuser, it also apparently doesn't keep a copy of the default build.prop in the boot image. My customized build.prop sticks around following boots, which is a good thing.

Fixing the build.prop though didn't solve the other issue of having certain apps (e.g. Facebook, Maps) register as incompatible with the 9742. However, I found this thread which explained how to fix that problem. I followed the instructions in that thread and all is good.

I've attached an updated version of the zip.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the batch file, I used what was available. That batch file assumes a working knowledge of ADB, including installing the correct driver (out of three choices) after connecting the Kyros to the PC. Adding a routine just to install the device and driver is rather pointless, especially as you only have to do it once. I made things convenient since the commands no longer have to be typed out. It's not a substitute for knowing what in the heck you're doing.

EDIT: Updated zip file, removed mention of problems with updater script.

Attachments

• $tweaks.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
I have uploaded a version for you to test includes stock recovery if cwm doesn't work you can flash back to stock recovery.

9742_root_recovery.zip

Hello. I am new here (and also new to modifying Android tablets) and I need a little help. I have modified my 9742-8 to a custom rooted rom in which the screen is now inverted (left=right & top=bottom) using livesuit and a img file. Please allow me to clarify my goal in doing so in order to save time. We purchased two of these 9742-8 tablets (one for my spouse and one for myself) for two simple reasons. 1) for us to use as regular everyday light duty tablets and 2) to play the sims freeplay game. I quickly found that not only can we not install the sims game (without modifying and perhaps ever), but in trying to get the game installed I used mine to begin testing and subsequently flashed it with a more basic rom that is inverted! So, now I have one stock 9742 and one modified 9742. Upon searching the web for instructions to either achieve my game goal or at least correct my tablet's situation back to its factory state, I found this thread and you fine people.

Having said that, I do not know what the following means:

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

# Note If cwn don't work you can reinstall stock recovery using below command
# chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-stock-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

/data/local/tmp/install-cwm-recovery.sh

# Note If cwn don't work you can reinstall stock recovery using below command
# /data/local/tmp/install-stock-recovery.sh

reboot-recovery

But I am very sincerely hoping that you knowledgeable folks will guide me a bit to success. I am perfectly willing and able to learn and to try anything that you recommend on my tablet and while I'm not completely ignorant of mobile technology, like many I therefore have great potential to reach a bricked state by guessing how to interpret the necessary commands and files.

Thank You!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Unfortunately, the problem here is you used LiveSuite to flash the ROM. LiveSuite and ADB do not play nice with each other, and in fact we have had incidents of people bricking their tablets by attempting to do the very thing you're looking for help on: installing ClockworkMod on top of a LiveSuite install. In general, once you start using LiveSuite, you're pretty much stuck with it. The bricking problem and the lack of ROM updates from those who created the LiveSuite ROMs in the first place are why we no longer offer LiveSuite ROMs in this forum.

You can attempt to install ClockworkMod if you wish, using my root utility found in the sticky posts at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum. You may even get lucky and not brick your tablet. However I would recommend exchanging your tablet for a new one rather than taking the risk.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
Wow, I was afraid of that. Livesuit doesn't look very stable and most of it's documentation is in Chinese or Japanese! Believe me I would love to return it for a new one, however I bought it from Frys electronics and they thoroughly check returned items for damage or modification, not to mention that they have a 15% restocking fee. If there is a way that I can make it appear to be defective in such a way that no one could prove otherwise, then I'd be fine.

So, do I understand you correctly in that it would be very dangerous using ANY method to try to restore it to it's factory state?

Can you please explain what exactly these Livesuit and other root utils do that is irreversible? In my mind, it seems fairly straight forward to re-flash the rom over and over again. I mean I realize that rom stands for Read Only Memory, but if that were true then we wouldn't be able to flash them in the first place right?

Thanks for you help.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
If you're saying that my best chances for a full stock recovery are by using Livesuit, then what exactly do I need to do? I have downloaded several files (of various types: img, tgz, tar, sh and apk) which all indicate that they a for recovery or stock for my exact model. I also read an another forum that the 9742's are "almost un-brickable" because they can be booted from USB.

I'm going to patiently await advice so that I don't rush into further complicating my situation (as I apparently did by using Livesuit)...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I have a sticky posted explaining some of the issues with LiveSuite, but in short it completely rewrites and reconfigures the internal memory in such a way as to make using ADB a dicey proposition. LiveSuite itself has bricked tablets, which is why I recommend taking the tablet back to where you got it from and exchanging it.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
I understand what you're saying, and I completely trust your advice, however I need to know what to tell them when they ask me why I'm returning it. "Oh, well I was playing around trying to modify the system memory and I screwed it up, and I want you to exchange it for another one so that I can give her another try..." What would you say to that?

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
I'm sorry if I'm being a bit obtuse here, but why does it seem so difficult for me to find a Livesuit rom of the MID9742-8 stock firmware which I can simply install just as easy as it was to screw it up?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Simply tell them that the screen isn't registering taps properly.

The reason you don't find LiveSuite ROMs on this forum is because the LiveSuite ROMs were out of date, weren't being updated, and were bricking tablets that had the same model number but different innards. Coby frequently updates the hardware inside the shell of the tablet, and no LiveSuite ROMs were released for the updated versions.

PM en route.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
Hello Traveller. I hope that you are doing well! I've re-read this thread as well as most of your others, and I wanted to ask you where you'd prefer our discussion to reside (assuming of course that you are still interested in working with me)? I've tried a few things with no success and I'm contemplating simply starting over from scratch using my first backup. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!