CLP281x 7" netbook

Feb 18, 2013
Hi there guys and girls,

I just went and got myself this netbook today and so far I'm enjoying it. I have gotten Google Play to work, rooted it and got rid of most of the bloatware. I've been playing games and it seems very smooth, one thing in Google Play is that Chrome and some other apps are not compatible, now I have tried editing the build.prop and got it to recognize it as a Novo 7 tablet in the settings but Google Play still says the apps are not compatible. I've cleared the cache/data and reboot but it still does the same thing. So, I'm going to keep playing around with it. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in. ;) Also, does anyone know of any custom roms for this right now? I am looking to get JB running on it really soon, but would like to get Google Play to completely work and have a full backup before I do that. I believe this thing has potential and it gets a decent score in some of the benchmarks that I've tested.

P.S. I know the Novo 7 works for Chrome and such because another tablet has it's mark as the Novo 7 and it works just fine for all apps on the Play store. I've side loaded Chrome for the time being and it works great, but I'd like to be able to download everything right from the Google Play store so I can then back it up and start working on some other things with it. :D

Last edited:

plc53213

Mar 4, 2013
Hi there guys and girls,

I just went and got myself this netbook today and so far I'm enjoying it. I have gotten Google Play to work, rooted it and got rid of most of the bloatware. I've been playing games and it seems very smooth, one thing in Google Play is that Chrome and some other apps are not compatible, now I have tried editing the build.prop and got it to recognize it as a Novo 7 tablet in the settings but Google Play still says the apps are not compatible. I've cleared the cache/data and reboot but it still does the same thing. So, I'm going to keep playing around with it. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in. ;) Also, does anyone know of any custom roms for this right now? I am looking to get JB running on it really soon, but would like to get Google Play to completely work and have a full backup before I do that. I believe this thing has potential and it gets a decent score in some of the benchmarks that I've tested.

P.S. I know the Novo 7 works for Chrome and such because another tablet has it's mark as the Novo 7 and it works just fine for all apps on the Play store. I've side loaded Chrome for the time being and it works great, but I'd like to be able to download everything right from the Google Play store so I can then back it up and start working on some other things with it. :D

Can you please tell me how you rooted this device, I can't find any info on how to do this. Thanks

Feb 18, 2013
Can you please tell me how you rooted this device, I can't find any info on how to do this. Thanks

Hi plc,

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I've been without internet for a few weeks....:( Anyways, I hope you can still use this advice! The first thing you wanna do is click on this http://craigelectronics.com/firmware_update/android4.0/clp281a_x_firmware4.0.rar That will give you the original firmware, then you extract it to a folder on your desktop and then download these files Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip That will give you the gapps files you need for Google Play etc etc, you need to unzip that folder and go into the system/app and copy these files Phonesky.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\system\app from the Craig original firmware...Now you have Google Play. Now download these files and unzip them http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and copy Superuser.apk to FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\system\app
from the Craig original firmware once again. Now you need to go into this folder FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\system\ and create a new folder and name it "xbin" go into the folder and you should be at the location FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\system\xbin then just copy su into it and you will have root!

Remember: This will erase all files on your device! Back them up first!! Now you just gotta copy the
FirmwareInstall\ and wmt_scriptcmd into the root of your SD card, put it into your netbook and let it flash! After that you just gotta setup your Google account and you should be all good to go! If you any questions feel free to ask. :)

I also just got my hands on Jelly Bean that I'm modifying to work on our netbook, stay tuned for that!

Last edited:

ghstrdr1985

Apr 3, 2013
Hi all,

I've just recently come in ownership of this nifty little device, & am trying to root it but it won't recognize my SD card. Are there specific cards that only work with this model? Desperately trying to get Google Play store on here. Also if there are other ways to root, I'd really appreciate any of the knowledge. Thanks.

plc53213

Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for your help got it rooted could not get google play to work though, but got 1channel Tv to work on this device, has weak wifi (drops out) but direct ethernet connect and hdmi to tv, 1channel works great. As for sd card I use is Lexar 8 gig card works great. Also put Es file explorer on it to connect to my server.

wfg97079

Jan 14, 2013
What are folks paying for this device?
Any deals out there?
Thanks for your help got it rooted could not get google play to work though, but got 1channel Tv to work on this device, has weak wifi (drops out) but direct ethernet connect and hdmi to tv, 1channel works great. As for sd card I use is Lexar 8 gig card works great. Also put Es file explorer on it to connect to my server.

ILoveMyJob

May 24, 2013
Hi all,

I've just recently come in ownership of this nifty little device, & am trying to root it but it won't recognize my SD card. Are there specific cards that only work with this model? Desperately trying to get Google Play store on here. Also if there are other ways to root, I'd really appreciate any of the knowledge. Thanks.

I had the same problem as you, and while I am not sure which one of the steps I took fixed the issue, I can tell you how I got the flashing process to work:
FWIW, I was able to use both a Lexar 8GB SDHC 4 and a Verbatim 16GB SDHC 4 MicroSD with adapter. I had used these cards in other machines previously,
and while the tablet recognized them as usable media, it would not boot the firmware off them. I tried the following (which worked): If you have a Windows box,
insert your SD card and format it using FAT32 and "Default Allocation Size", which is, I believe 8192 bytes. I then used 7-zip to open the firmware rar file which
I downloaded from Craig, highlighted the FirmwareInstall directory and wmt_scriptcmd file and extracted them straight to the SD card. I inserted the card into
the tablet and what do you know? It worked :) From here you can modifiy the content of the FirmwareInstall directory to your heart's content.
Oh... one more thing. Before I flashed, I completely powered the device down and removed the USB cable. I pressed the power button and held it, until the
screen turned on. As I said, not sure which one of these steps made the process work, so I am telling you about all the details. Good luck :)

plc53213

Mar 4, 2013
I recently put jellybean on this, found the rom and how to do at TechKnow but still trying to put xbmc on it, problem with rights and i don't understand how to write scripts in android yet. by the way the rom fixed the wi-fi problem.

Last edited: