CM& - Wifi connected but no surfing etc.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Hi Team,

I upgraded to CM7 V7.1.0 a couple of days ago and all seems pretty good so far except that the wifi has stopped working. It was working last night and I was able to go to the market and get some app's with no problems and browse using Opera Mini.
Today, the NC can see, and appears to connect to, the local wifi but neither the Market or a browser will connect to anything. My laptop is connected and working correctly.

I did a search but only seemed to find results where the NC doesn't see/connect to a wifi.

I tried to delete the wifi settings for the hub and rebooted but I got the same result.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
And the Title should be CM7. not CM&. Obviously the "shift" finger isn't as quick as it used to be!!!

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
No-one? :-(

Oh well, I need it up and running this weekend so back to stock I go...

stomper4x4

Dec 2, 2011
My CM7 wifi was working fine until today. My wifi icon now only shows white and doesn't go green. This means I am connected to wifi and the internet but not to google itself so nothing syncs. I can surf the web and whatnot though.

Anyone else seen this issue, and to the OP, is this what yours is doing?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My CM7 wifi was working fine until today. My wifi icon now only shows white and doesn't go green. This means I am connected to wifi and the internet but not to google itself so nothing syncs. I can surf the web and whatnot though.

Anyone else seen this issue, and to the OP, is this what yours is doing?

Usually white means that you have intranet (home network access) but not internet. So you should be able to access other computers on the network but not surf the web, so that is strange. Sometimes I have a slow connection where it takes 30 seconds to go green but it usually does. If It does not connect to the internet then usually unplugging the modem/router for 10 seconds and then plugging back in fixes the connection issue.

Abb0nz you might also want to make sure your router has the most up to date firmware. It seems that older routers and out of date firmware is causing problems with all sorts of tablets lately.

JP

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
What I have found is that when the WiFi icon is white and wont turn green means that it is connected to your router but has not been assigned an IP address yet from the router. Usually a reboot will clear this problem, (or waiting for the router to figure it out). It seems to be caused when you have a lot of different devices on your network, when the NC goes to sleep the router gives your IP to another device on the network then when you wake the Nook back up it has to get a new address but cant for some reason so it sits there waiting for the router. This same thing used to happen once in a while on my Mac Mini when I would wake it up from a long sleep it would complain that it cant use this IP because another machine on the network had it. All that went away when I bought my New Airport Extreme router, not sure why but never have had that problem again like with the Linksys router. This is my opinion based on my vivid imagination.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What I have found is that when the WiFi icon is white and wont turn green means that it is connected to your router but has not been assigned an IP address yet from the router. Usually a reboot will clear this problem, (or waiting for the router to figure it out). It seems to be caused when you have a lot of different devices on your network, when the NC goes to sleep the router gives your IP to another device on the network then when you wake the Nook back up it has to get a new address but cant for some reason so it sits there waiting for the router. This same thing used to happen once in a while on my Mac Mini when I would wake it up from a long sleep it would complain that it cant use this IP because another machine on the network had it. All that went away when I bought my New Airport Extreme router, not sure why but never have had that problem again like with the Linksys router. This is my opinion based on my vivid imagination.

Yes, it is based on your vivid imagination and what I thought too ;) It appears that the green/white indicator is a Google sync indicator though. However, I think the rest of what you said regarding losing the actual internet connection is valid. It is basically an IP assignment issue. I guess some devices are better about requesting a new IP from the router when they have the issue than others. Just like people, some are content to complain about problems while others go out and do something about them :D

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
So, what is it syncing, your account settings or like contacts and bookmarks? In any case I don't think I like Google telling me when I can use my network.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So, what is it syncing, your account settings or like contacts and bookmarks? In any case I don't think I like Google telling me when I can use my network.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Account settings, apps, books, contacts, calendar, mail or whatever other Google things you are using. The account sync shouldn't prevent you from using your network, just the Google stuff, which admittedly on an Android device is a lot!

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Account settings, apps, books, contacts, calendar, mail or whatever other Google things you are using. The account sync shouldn't prevent you from using your network, just the Google stuff, which admittedly on an Android device is a lot!

Yes, i suppose you are right, bring on ICS that will make me feel better, I think.:)