CM7 and the Nook Phone

pustyak

May 10, 2011
I am running the latest nightly CM7 on my nook. It runs great, except for the fact that it feels "phone-ish." It still has phone functions built-in and the volume buttons adjust "ringer volume" instead of system volume. It's just terminology and an extra button or two, but it irks me. I want to feel like I'm using a tablet, not a phone. Also it plays into the hands to the critics around me who say that Android is a phone OS and not a tablet OS.

Does anyone know if the other custom ROMs built on CM7, such as phiremod, have removed this "phone-ish" feel? Or can I myself remove this extra button (green phone button) and put something else in its place?

Other than that, CM7 seems great. I even get the nook to see and connect to my ad hoc network now. I especially love the old-time television effect when I put the nook to sleep.

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i think just the screen size alone removes the phonish feel as far as i am concerned. The volume don't bother me as all i do is push a volume up or volume down button - why bother with the ringer volume vs media volume? the status bar with the soft keys are more than enough to convey the sense of a tablet to me. To me my nook serves me better than the honeycomb xoom i had.

tablets to me serve a need - easier to read/browse on, easy to carry, watch movies, send text messages - the nook does all this - sure one can say you can do all this on a phone - and i can respond but the experience is less than desireable

but having said that, what makes a tablet do you think? Native apps? Apps that make use of all the real estate?

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
I to am running CM7rc2 and am disappointed that some have apps phone sized displays.

Two of my ibird apps display as the same size as my Nexus , also the ereader app from ereader.com displays as if it were a phone. (2in X 3.5in)

Is there an adjustment ? Can this be adjusted in Cyanogen7 ? Is there an adjustment app

Would someone please explain how to adjust this screed issue ?

Thanks for any help in this,
1hen2ducks

I need a tutor
PMs will be welcome

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
for this display issue you need to go to settings, spare parts and then unclick compatibility mode, if it is aleady unselected, selct it and unselect

if you don't have spare parts , you can down load it from the market

I to am running CM7rc2 and am disappointed that some have apps phone sized displays.

Two of my ibird apps display as the same size as my Nexus , also the ereader app from ereader.com displays as if it were a phone. (2in X 3.5in)

Is there an adjustment ? Can this be adjusted in Cyanogen7 ? Is there an adjustment app

Would someone please explain how to adjust this screed issue ?

Thanks for any help in this,
1hen2ducks

I need a tutor
PMs will be welcome

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for the clear and simple fix; I would have never thought of that without help from this fantastic forum.

Many thanks,
1hen2ducks

pustyak

May 10, 2011
i think just the screen size alone removes the phonish feel as far as i am concerned. The volume don't bother me as all i do is push a volume up or volume down button - why bother with the ringer volume vs media volume? the status bar with the soft keys are more than enough to convey the sense of a tablet to me. To me my nook serves me better than the honeycomb xoom i had.

tablets to me serve a need - easier to read/browse on, easy to carry, watch movies, send text messages - the nook does all this - sure one can say you can do all this on a phone - and i can respond but the experience is less than desireable

but having said that, what makes a tablet do you think? Native apps? Apps that make use of all the real estate?

Well, of course, for me it doesn't really matter that much except for irking me a little and for people laughing at my giant "phone." I'm just wondering why the good folks didn't strip that out of cyanogenmod? Not really a complaint, but a suggestion for the future.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, of course, for me it doesn't really matter that much except for irking me a little and for people laughing at my giant "phone." I'm just wondering why the good folks didn't strip that out of cyanogenmod? Not really a complaint, but a suggestion for the future.

Any version of Android below Honeycomb is actaully built for a phone and there are parts of the "phone" code that are essential even if the features are not used. They could simply go in and relable things change menus and what not but frankly they are tackling bigger issues since that would be purely cosmetic. Why waste the time to do so when the tablet versions of Andorid are just around the corner and as soon as Google realeases the code they can begin work on custom ROMs truly created for tablets?