[CM7][kernel] New OC kernel that fixes IO issue (making Quadrant work right)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
It seems Divine Madcat couldn't wait for dalingrin to get back from his trip and worked out a new OC kernel that fixes our funky Quadrant scores... if you have CM7 and have either bugged out of the OC kernel or weren't happy with previous Quadrant scores (not that I care about Quandrant personally)... try this one out!

It is only for eMMC for now, and can be downloaded from here:
OC kernels (up to 1100Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
Regular
update-CM7-madcat-OC-emmc-032511.zip

Extra net features (PPP, etc)
update-CM7-madcat-OC-emmc-032511net.zip

From XDA
Disclaimer: As always, flash at your own risk.

So, recently there has been alot of debate over why quadrant (and to some extent, system performance) was lower with the OC kernel, as compared to the stock CM7 kernel. ([DEV] CM7 Kernel performance comparisons (stock vs OC) - xda-developers) As part of my examining the problem, i went looking for a solution. Starting from the first OC CM7 kernel, i would run quadrant and see how the performance fared. I finally found the issue appeared in the 3-08a kernel; using that, i rolled back changes until i found the commit remove to fix the issue. Specifically, it seems to be somewhere in the 2.6.29.6 update: https://github.com/dalingrin/nook_kernel/commits/gingerbread-exp

In short, using his source, i have compiled a kernel with fixed I/O performance, and all his other tweaks (interactive gov, etc).

So, I want to make this clear; this is still dalingrin's kernel; in no way do i wish to take credit for his work. But, while he is out, work must go on, right?

With that said - This is a CM7 only kernel, only for emmc (i guess SD cards could use it, but i don't have the zip file for it...). I have uploaded two kernels - I find the first to be more stable, but the second has more network features turned on; as i said though, i cannot guarantee its function. However, everything else like bluetooth and dsp should still be just fine (you may have to do a few hard shutdowns/reboots to kick on BT, like normal).

OC kernels (up to 1100Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
Regular
update-CM7-madcat-OC-emmc-032511.zip

Extra net features (PPP, etc)
update-CM7-madcat-OC-emmc-032511net.zip

After flashing, please make note of OVERALL system response. The dip in quadrant scores prompted the fix, but i feel that the system is overall better; I would like some more input if others are seeing this as well.

Also, based on some feedback here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][CM7][Froyo(?)] Dalingrin's OC kernel w/ fixed IO performance (quadrant) , this kernel may work out for Froyo - feel free to give it a try folks!

Any and all feedback is welcome, and I will do what i can for support...

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I just updated to cm7 v30 and this new kernel (not the net cause I don't know what it is :) ). So far everything seems to be working fine, but I have not tried Bluetooth yet.

What is the net kernel?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
This is great; this new kernel doesn't block Youtube or movie files from playing, like the other Kernel did. Video still isn't perfect, but that's a known issue. Thanks!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
The only change I've made to my NC in the last week has been this kernel, and now today my battery life has completely tanked. Proceed with caution.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I haven't noticed any change in my battery life. However, I think my b&n rooted setup lasted longer.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
The best battery life I've seen so far is my wife's which is running UD 3.1.2.. I think I'm going to install the latest CM7 and see how that works out.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I dont know if its kernel's problem or I had it before, but i have almost -10% of battery when my NC sleeps for 8 hours during night, with no Wi-Fi on.
How about U?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I dont know the number, but I have started turning it off at night :)

Mine was dropping like a rock, then I started turning it off at night.. Then, the dang thing decided to stop booting up without the CWR card in.. So now I just leave it on charge all night.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Hmm. Mine has been fine with reboots and general stability. I may go to the rooted B&N 2.2 when it's available and also have a either a SD bootable HC or CM7 build...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Reboots are fine, it's from a cold dead powered-off state that mine has a problem. A few minutes off, it handles that just fine. An overnight slumber though, better have the bootable card within reach.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
How much "tinkering" with setup and widgets etc would you say you do? I view my setup as pretty simple. I don't have very many apps, only one widget, and have not messed with any settings. I pretty much just read tapatalk, play pocket legends, check email, and browse the web. Just wondering if you are doing more with you Nook to encounter those problems? Or maybe one of your prior rom installs has created some lingering problem?