CM7 nook color No netflix on Market (Market thinks I am 2.1 < )

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
I had the sideloaded netflix app from XDA running on my CM7 nook. Recently Netflix changed the app and it requires a new download. Problem is the Netflix app does not appear on the Market.

I believe the problem is the market thinks I am running my old autonootered version of android and his hiding the app. How do I let the market know that I am running a newer version of android?

Last edited:

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Update... I followed the instructions posted here (missing apps in the market). Sure enough my device disappeared from the Android Market website. I then started the Market app on the nook and accepted the agreement. No Netflix app visible in the market on my CM7 nook. A few minutes later I went back to the Android Market website on my PC and my device appeared again as a BN , Nookcolor, last used and last registered on June 6, 2011. It seems that I successfully reset my Market app on the nook and on the Market website as shown by the registration date. Still NO Netflix. Furthermore if I use the Device compatabilty filter on the Market website and set it to my device the Netflix app disappears and it tells me its not compatible with my device. The market still thinks I am running 2.1 or less.

Where does the Market get this information from?

I was messing around with the build.prop file ,before I found the XDA netflix app, could that have caused the problem. Could I have restored the wrong the wrong build.prop file?

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Well the problem seems to be solved. I edited my build.prop file to read:

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

Instantly after a reboot the Market displayed the netflix app. When I look at my account at the Market now it states that my Nook is made by maker = HTC and the model = nookcolor.

In Conclusion it does matter to the Market what your manufacturer line is from the build.prop file. Using the default build.prop file installed by CM7 showing that my Manufacturer = BN was causing the Market to filter the netflix app and who knows how many more apps. Retracted by OP this statement is incorrect.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did you mess with your build.prop to begin with? I have CM7 and downloaded the Netflix app from the Market with no issues (after they had changed the app from the early app that was checking). Sounds like your issue may have been the version you side loaded then build.prop changes. If you wipe the app data uninstall and get rid of the build.prop file then you should be able to download from the Market no issues.

Of course since you have it working now don't mess with it. But if you start having issues again try completely removing it and then you should find it in the Market no problem. No work arounds are required now.

JP

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Did you mess with your build.prop to begin with? I have CM7 and downloaded the Netflix app from the Market with no issues (after they had changed the app from the early app that was checking). Sounds like your issue may have been the version you side loaded then build.prop changes. If you wipe the app data uninstall and get rid of the build.prop file then you should be able to download from the Market no issues.

Of course since you have it working now don't mess with it. But if you start having issues again try completely removing it and then you should find it in the Market no problem. No work arounds are required now.

JP

I don't know what happened. I know the CM7 developers are top notch and would never allow or make it that hard to see apps on the Market. I must of done something.

I did mess with the build.prop file. I can tell you I deleted the xda netflix app and restored my original build.prop from a backup. I even compared the build.prop file on my nook & the build.prop from the zipped installation files of CM7 and they looked the same. Somehow I screwed up and confused the Market. Regardless its not broken now and I will leave it be.

I do have two question:

1. You mention "getting rid of the build.prop file" Can that file be deleted and will it rebuild itself on a reboot or restart?
  2. I wonder what device and maker shows up on the Market account for other CM7 Nook users?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I believe the build.prop file will auto generate on a reboot. Checking mine on CM7 model=NookColor and brand=bn. I have done nothing to modify. As long as it works then I guess it doesn't matter :D

Jun 3, 2011
Is anyone online that can help with build.prop file? I changed mine to try and make Netflix work. I know what I did, but now Wifi no longer works. In trying to restore the file, the new build.prop refuses to save itself. I tried moving the original copy of the file back to restore, and it will also not move the file.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is anyone online that can help with build.prop file? I changed mine to try and make Netflix work. I know what I did, but now Wifi no longer works. In trying to restore the file, the new build.prop refuses to save itself. I tried moving the original copy of the file back to restore, and it will also not move the file.

If you made a nandoird recently I would restore to that and not mess with it any further. You do not need to edit build.prop for Netflix to work, simply download it from the Market and you will be fine. To edit the file remember you need to make it read/write.

JP

Jun 3, 2011
Netflix doesn't show up in my Market, so I downloaded a current .apk from XDA and then that's where the problems began. Also, I do not know what nandoird is. I have the original copy of the build.prop file, but am unable to restore it.

Looks like I may have to purchase Root Explorer, after seeing this post on another Forum No WIFI after Netflix - Android Forums (I have no idea if it's ok to reference another Forum, so Mods, please confirm or Edit my post).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
How did you edit your build.prop the first time?

A nandriod is a backup you make from ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR). It is a good idea to make a nandoird when you first install a clean OS so you can always go back to that and then make one before you make any major changes after that.

I think you said you are on Phiremod. I haven't heard too much one way or another regarding Pihremod and Netfilx but since it is Android 2.3 it should work. I think like spdsl above you may have had another issue and went about editing build.prop instead of fixing the real issue of the app not showing up in Market. In spdsl's case he was able to edit the file with the settings he noted above to get it to work.

Can you try deleting or remaning the file (say by adding bak to the end of the name to indicate a backup) and then rebooting? Then see if the file is restored and try going back to Market to see if you can find the Netflix app.

Since you sideloaded you may also need to wipe/uninstall the apk that you installed.
JP

Jun 3, 2011
How did you edit your build.prop the first time?

A nandriod is a backup you make from ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR). It is a good idea to make a nandoird when you first install a clean OS so you can always go back to that and then make one before you make any major changes after that.

I think you said you are on Phiremod. I haven't heard too much one way or another regarding Pihremod and Netfilx but since it is Android 2.3 it should work. I think like spdsl above you may have had another issue and went about editing build.prop instead of fixing the real issue of the app not showing up in Market. In spdsl's case he was able to edit the file with the settings he noted above to get it to work.

Can you try deleting or remaning the file (say by adding bak to the end of the name to indicate a backup) and then rebooting? Then see if the file is restored and try going back to Market to see if you can find the Netflix app.

Since you sideloaded you may also need to wipe/uninstall the apk that you installed.
JP

I removed the SD card and confirmed Wifi is totally cool and working on the NC itself. I will try your suggestion above for renaming the file, etc. tomorrow. I have already deleted the XDA file. Time for this girl to sleep.

Thank you again.

~B~

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Yes, I believe the build.prop file will auto generate on a reboot. Checking mine on CM7 model=NookColor and brand=bn. I have done nothing to modify. As long as it works then I guess it doesn't matter :D

Thanks for the info. When my netflix was hidden the Market reported my model and brand the same as yours. I was wrong in my conclusion on a previous post..... "In Conclusion it does matter to the Market what your manufacturer line is from the build.prop file. Using the default build.prop file installed by CM7 showing that my Manufacturer = BN was causing the Market to filter the netflix app and who knows how many more apps.".....

I have some questions about Nandroid myself but I will do some searching and start a new thread if necessary. Thanks for your help.

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Yes, I believe the build.prop file will auto generate on a reboot.

Just an FYI for an old thread - build.prop did NOT auto-generate for me after deleting it and prevented the NC from booting - wound up with a black screen. I had to reflash the ROM(CM7 7.0.3 stable) in order to boot up again.