CM7 Question

stratic

Dec 19, 2011
Hey, what exactly is CM7? I have been reading all over these forums with post say "this device can use CM7" but I guess because it is so widely known that no one mentions what is is. So is it something required to root your device? Do you suggest I put it on my 7022?

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
CM7 = cyanogenmod 7.

It is a ROM cooked by the Android dev community at large. Like certain Linux distributions, it is free to install and use, as it is developed and maintained by the community at large using Google's open source code.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
AFAIK you don't need to enable root previously, but you need CWM (ClockworkMod) installed in order to install CM7 (7022 is beta and many things don't work as many people say, be warned) or any other restoration or custom firmware.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Generally, it's stable, well-supported in the community & has increased functionality over the stock OS. Your specific device may not have a stable, end-user ready version available yet. You would have to check.

Miui and CM are both considered good ROMs. Depending on how well your device is picked up by developer community at large, you may have multiple ROMs available for your device.

Personally, I have miui on one of my devices and CM on another.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

stratic

Dec 19, 2011
Okay, thank you. So does anyone have any suggestions of best ROM for the MID7022?

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Okay, thank you. So does anyone have any suggestions of best ROM for the MID7022?

There are none besides CM7 which breaks hdmi port and I think hw acceleration.

You have to wait for coby to release firmware for 7022 to ever see roms.

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
So, in your opinion, I so just root it and leave the firmware alone?

I would say yes. I am sure a partially working custom rom is not what you are looking for. With CM7 they will eventually get the kinks out. A lot of people find that after they have rooted and tweaked the stock rom they don't want a custom rom.

rocketero

Nov 29, 2011
I would say yes. I am sure a partially working custom rom is not what you are looking for. With CM7 they will eventually get the kinks out. A lot of people find that after they have rooted and tweaked the stock rom they don't want a custom rom.

if there were a CWM Recovery for this PDSN8 then it would be easy to make a NANDROID backup of the whole system. As it is right now unless I'm missing something one can only backup the apps with programs like es file explorer / astro or other apps, even with Titanium-Backup but is not the same as a clockwork nand backup.