CM7 vs. Ultimate Droid

Dec 17, 2010
I'm using Ultimate Droid, and so far, I like it.

Are there any good reasons to switch to CM7? What will CM7 do that Ultimate Droid doesn't?

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
How stable is Ultimate Droid? I am using the nightly release of CM7 and it is quite unstable and some apps don't work.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Uh oh... we have one of these threads on this forum now:) yikes! Lets keep it civil and constructive people:cool:

I cannot judge CM7 for the Nook as I have not used it long enough. It has bluetooth. The best way to know which one runs better on your device is to make a backup of what you have and try the other.

Ultimate Droid I have ran and it runs great for me. Even clocked to the stock UD 950mhz it is fast. There are some bugs with the lockscreen, resolution of wallpaper, freezes (rarley) and mainly battery life.

I am running nookie comb right now instead because the battery life on froyo is so much better than gingerbread. And I like the bar better at the bottom than on the top of the screen.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
can you describe what issues you are experiencing to call it unstable?

Sure. It happens mostly when I am trying to watch movies (720-421 MP4) that I put on the internal memory. The the touch screen becomes unresponsive and the home button usually does nothing. If I press the power button and let it sleep for a few seconds then it works again but if I go nuts on it and start frantically touching the screen then it will ask me if I want to force close the app or wait. This problem also occasionally happens in random apps. Am I describing this good enough for you?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sure. It happens mostly when I am trying to watch movies (720-421 MP4) that I put on the internal memory. The the touch screen becomes unresponsive and the home button usually does nothing. If I press the power button and let it sleep for a few seconds then it works again but if I go nuts on it and start frantically touching the screen then it will ask me if I want to force close the app or wait. This problem also occasionally happens in random apps. Am I describing this good enough for you?

Sounds like a pretty good description to me. Infact I recognize those same sysmptoms with other ROMs. Recently I was having that issue with some of the apps in Nookie Comb.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Never ran CM7, myself but UD 3.2 is very nice and stable, my new favorite. I mainly have been playing flash content and divx/xvid, which is been good but I can't comments on mp4 playback.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Stelv i think you jumped to gun here- no malicious intent on my question just curiosity as people have different definitions of 'unstable' - mine would be force closings, rebooting etc.

not playing a certain video file might fall into lack of codec support for me not stability - but the unresponsiveness can also be a stability issue or an app issue

on CM7, I have played mp4 and mkv using mobo neon player and plays really smooth but also becomes unresponsive when i try to pause however the same file plays well and is very responsive using Vitalplayer

Uh oh... we have one of these threads on this forum now:) yikes! Lets keep it civil and constructive people:cool:

I cannot judge CM7 for the Nook as I have not used it long enough. It has bluetooth. The best way to know which one runs better on your device is to make a backup of what you have and try the other.

Ultimate Droid I have ran and it runs great for me. Even clocked to the stock UD 950mhz it is fast. There are some bugs with the lockscreen, resolution of wallpaper, freezes (rarley) and mainly battery life.

I am running nookie comb right now instead because the battery life on froyo is so much better than gingerbread. And I like the bar better at the bottom than on the top of the screen.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Sorry. I didn't think you had any malicious intent :) It wasn't in response to what you had said. It was just a general response. For example over at droidforums or xda, these type of threads start fine but end up getting out of hand as people from both camps start jumping in. Whenever I see a thread with the word "vs" in it I automatically think uh oh, lol.

On a side note I am glad that the nook has reached the point in custom roms where we can compare cm7 and ud.

Stelv i think you jumped to gun here- no malicious intent on my question just curiosity as people have different definitions of 'unstable' - mine would be force closings, rebooting etc.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
:) no harm - but yes very good point in that we not only have our cake, we can choose between chocolate and red velvet flavors- can't get better than that

Sorry. I didn't think you had any malicious intent :) It wasn't in response to what you had said. It was just a general response. For example over at droidforums or xda, these type of threads start fine but end up getting out of hand as people from both camps start jumping in. Whenever I see a thread with the word "vs" in it I automatically think uh oh, lol.

On a side note I am glad that the nook has reached the point in custom roms where we can compare cm7 and ud.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
:) no harm - but yes very good point in that we not only have our cake, we can choose between chocolate and red velvet flavors- can't get better than that

Anima, we are not eating cake. Around here its eclairs, gingerbread, frozenyogurt, and occassionaly a bit o honey. In this case I think you mean some people can have their gingerbread with frosting and others with sprinkles.

:D