CM9 for Coby 7042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It's the module. I copied the one from my working ROM into cm9 and I have a working touchscreen. Now to see what else is not working!

yes your bootloader targets that goodix_touch.

what I have been working on is a bootloader that targets the goodix_touch and ft5x_ts that I have included in the rom.

7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip

what this does is allow either version of 7042 to use the CM9, I can only test on my ft5x_ts, but as lsmod shows both ft5x_ts and goodix_touch are loaded.

If you test this, before you test make sure you have backed up your bootloader. You don't have to test this unless you want to, I have included your module in a zip below that will just replace the module included in the rom for the one you provided.

adb shell

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img

exit

adb pull /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img

or we can just add your goodix via zip install

this zip replaces the included goodix in the cm9 rom with the one Slacker1040 provided.

7042_goodix_support.zip

either of these zips need to be flashed via CWM recovery

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
vamp, just loaded your new bootloader and cm9 rom on my goodix 7042. works fine. setup wifi and did a quick web browse. everything seems a-ok. Thanks for all your work.

Thanks for testing and reporting back. Glad it works.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for testing and reporting back. Glad it works.

After a few days of use, this is the best rom I've had on my 7042.

-voice search and voice typing works
-google store is the best i've used. first time for iheartradio app (tried google and amazon stores)
downloaded tuninradio from g-store
-can mount and unmount extsd and usb-ext flash without reboot true OTG (tested 120gb ext-hd)

experienced the same intermittant problems with bluetooth reported at the dragondevs.com link
there is more discussion there

I wonder if this rom includes the feiyu patch to the 0812 rom

Thanks again to vampirefo for all the work

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Yes I was wondering if that patch was included in this build as well, gonna get myself a bluetooth dongle since they are so cheap. Tpaine maybe u could try installing the patch yourself and seeing how bluetooth is working.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
After a few days of use, this is the best rom I've had on my 7042.

-voice search and voice typing works
-google store is the best i've used. first time for iheartradio app (tried google and amazon stores)
downloaded tuninradio from g-store
-can mount and unmount extsd and usb-ext flash without reboot true OTG (tested 120gb ext-hd)

experienced the same intermittant problems with bluetooth reported at the dragondevs.com link
there is more discussion there

I wonder if this rom includes the feiyu patch to the 0812 rom

Thanks again to vampirefo for all the work

what exactly is the feiyu patch?

I tracked the patch down, here http://www.mediafire.com/?jn6kh38w4wp9kgi

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Yes I was wondering if that patch was included in this build as well, gonna get myself a bluetooth dongle since they are so cheap. Tpaine maybe u could try installing the patch yourself and seeing how bluetooth is working.

vampirefo provided the link so I applied the patch to the 0812 rom- no joy for usb bluetooth. on the dragondevs board they were more concerned about the usb 3g modems, so...

This generic usb bluetooth dongle came from amazon. It was 2-3 bucks. works in win xp, win 8, and ubuntu.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
tpaine said:
vampirefo provided the link so I applied the patch to the 0812 rom- no joy for usb bluetooth. on the dragondevs board they were more concerned about the usb 3g modems, so...

This generic usb bluetooth dongle came from amazon. It was 2-3 bucks. works in win xp, win 8, and ubuntu.

haha great, i just ordered the same one, it was $2.33 and i bought it when i bought a 5 buck htc hero battery. hmmm well maybe its just cuase its so damn generic. At least I know that that works with ubuntu, can use it for that, but if it works there u would think u might have luck with android.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Well I am stumped. I have tried everything. reflashed stock firmware, reinstalled recovery, then installed this rom again. I don't get how the touchscreen works on steevs , the mobiz aurora, but not this port. I even tried installing it straight from dragondevs even though I don't know chinese and the touchscreen still didn't work. Guess I will keep banging my head at it til it does. There is text at the top of the bootanimation that i can't fully see, can you all see the text, it seems like its cut off.

Last edited:

rposlp

Jun 17, 2012
Hey Vampirefo. Its amazing, my touchscreen is back after installing this rom! Thanks a lot for your great work. I have tried installing so many roms from another tablets on my coby and never got my touchscreen working, i tried this with no hope, and my tablet its alive again! Thank you so much. :) Keep your great work! I think this rom can be a workaround for those who messed up their touchscreens. Thank You

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Well I am stumped. I have tried everything. reflashed stock firmware, reinstalled recovery, then installed this rom again. I don't get how the touchscreen works on steevs , the mobiz aurora, but not this port. I even tried installing it straight from dragondevs even though I don't know chinese and the touchscreen still didn't work. Guess I will keep banging my head at it til it does. There is text at the top of the bootanimation that i can't fully see, can you all see the text, it seems like its cut off.

Hang in there. I see the same bootani that you are seeing. are you able to access the system with a mouse? Have you tried both boot images ?

when i lsmod, it shows both screens listed. this is with the dual boot image.

bbelkm1985

Sep 30, 2012

I don't know if this the right way but here's what worked for me:

I originally had the steev rom but after installing CM9 a few different ways, here are the last few steps that got it working. I apologize if I did anything wrong, I have no idea what I'm doing. :cool:

NOTE: I tried using the goodix oc mbr while trying to get this to work; I eventually flashed it back to stock. I have no idea if that factored into anything.

1) Go to recovery
2) wipe data/factory reset
3) mounts and storage --> format /cache
4) advanced --> Wipe Dalvik Cache
5) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> CM9_7042.zip
6) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip
7) advanced --> Fix Permissions
8) reboot system now

I ended up installing Jellybelly's Wifi Only mod to help the battery life.

9) recovery --> install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> jellybellys-mod-wifionly-2.zip
10) reboot system now

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
bbelkm1985 said:
I don't know if this the right way but here's what worked for me:

I originally had the steev rom but after installing CM9 a few different ways, here are the last few steps that got it working. I apologize if I did anything wrong, I have no idea what I'm doing. :cool:

NOTE: I tried using the goodix oc mbr while trying to get this to work; I eventually flashed it back to stock. I have no idea if that factored into anything.

1) Go to recovery
2) wipe data/factory reset
3) mounts and storage --> format /cache
4) advanced --> Wipe Dalvik Cache
5) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> CM9_7042.zip
6) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip
7) advanced --> Fix Permissions
8) reboot system now

I ended up installing Jellybelly's Wifi Only mod to help the battery life.

9) recovery --> install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> jellybellys-mod-wifionly-2.zip
10) reboot system now

What is this mvbootloader zip u installed?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
vampirefo. said:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/46413-cm9-coby-7042-a-2.html#post240057

@ ziggyzag

Do you have a coby 7042 or do you have a clone? I ask cause your tablet seems to be the only one that has problems, with my roms. so I am trying to narrow things down either you don't have a coby 7042, or you have a mystery 3rd version.

I thought their was just the two, and pretty sure I'm ft5x cause when I installed the mobiz aurora It didn't support goodix. It's a 7042-4 ... touch screen is kinda sketchy after a drop (occasionally random touches) could that be why its not working? It works on stock, and steevs. On mobiz Aurora something is different. Like the screen auto rotation issue which is real odd.