CM9 for Coby 7042

RadiOWaVeS

Oct 15, 2012
Thank you Vampirefo , This rom is the best I've used so far.
I installed the cm9_7042 + the multi-version bootloader (7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip) and this rom is fast and stable.
Best Rom for my Coby Kyros 7042-4

My problem was: at first when I installed cm9_7042.zip alone, MY TOUCH SCREEN DID NOT WORK... UNTIL....
I followed directions bellow with the new boot loader provided by Vampirefo :) and NOW MY CM9 Coby Kyros touchscreen IS NOW WORKING GREAT :)

I am new, so I follow directions by bbelkm1985:
Files used:
cm9_7042.zip >>> http://www.mediafire.com/?6gm5mlen4na5aij
+
7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip >>> http://www.mediafire.com/?77bh7rjbc288c57

Originally Posted by bbelkm1985
I don't know if this the right way but here's what worked for me:

I originally had the steev rom but after installing CM9 a few different ways, here are the last few steps that got it working. I apologize if I did anything wrong, I have no idea what I'm doing.
cool.png

NOTE: I tried using the goodix oc mbr while trying to get this to work; I eventually flashed it back to stock. I have no idea if that factored into anything.

1) Go to recovery
2) wipe data/factory reset
3) mounts and storage --> format /cache
4) advanced --> Wipe Dalvik Cache
5) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> CM9_7042.zip
6) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip
7) advanced --> Fix Permissions
8) reboot system

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I'm a semi noob as Im only good at following direction.
when i just installed the cm9_7042 alone WITHOUT Multi-Version (7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip) bootloader my tablets touch screen WAS NOT working. ... but...
To fix the touch screen issue issue I followed just the above steps 1-8 ( which INCLUDED the 7042_mv_bootloder.img.zip) and my cm9 coby kyros tablet is working! :)

Thank you vampira for giving us the Options we needed! Totally appreciate all your hard work in discovering. . .

Question: What touch screen would this mean I have? being that I had to install bootloader you provided?
Question 2: Will that bootloader work for other roms posted on androidtablets.net for the coby kyros 7042 ie: pimpinstines rom, as I have had no luck with my touchscreen with some other roms. or is that multi-version bootloader just for cm9?
The muliti bootloader should work on all roms, but was made specifically for cm9. The roms need to include both touch screen drivers.

gibascs

Nov 2, 2012
Thank you Vampirefo , This rom is the best I've used so far.
I installed the cm9_7042 + the multi-version bootloader (7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip) and this rom is fast and stable.
Best Rom for my Coby Kyros 7042-4

My problem was: at first when I installed cm9_7042.zip alone, MY TOUCH SCREEN DID NOT WORK... UNTIL....
I followed directions bellow with the new boot loader provided by Vampirefo :) and NOW MY CM9 Coby Kyros touchscreen IS NOW WORKING GREAT :)

I am new, so I follow directions by bbelkm1985:
Files used:
cm9_7042.zip >>> CM9_7042.zip
+
7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip >>> 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip

Originally Posted by bbelkm1985
I don't know if this the right way but here's what worked for me:

I originally had the steev rom but after installing CM9 a few different ways, here are the last few steps that got it working. I apologize if I did anything wrong, I have no idea what I'm doing. :cool:

NOTE: I tried using the goodix oc mbr while trying to get this to work; I eventually flashed it back to stock. I have no idea if that factored into anything.

1) Go to recovery
2) wipe data/factory reset
3) mounts and storage --> format /cache
4) advanced --> Wipe Dalvik Cache
5) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> CM9_7042.zip
6) install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip
7) advanced --> Fix Permissions
8) reboot system

Hi guys!
First of all, congrats on this forum!! Coby tablet info is really hard to find on the web....

Well, I need help! I wonder if this directions above will work for my Coby 8042? After CM9 installation using CWM my touchscreen does not work at all. Shall I use 7042_mv_bootloader.img.zip or I need to find an 8042 equivalent?

Sorry, I'm a semi-n00b as well, so I messed my tablet and only have a full system dump using Root Utility provided by this forum. Should I do anything with those files?

tnks

GibasCS

iralden

Dec 3, 2012
i wanna remove that triangle icon with the x inside in the notification area. is there anyway to do that?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
i wanna remove that triangle icon with the x inside in the notification area. is there anyway to do that?

If there is a way, its in the setting menu. I'm pretty sure you are referring to the apex launcher icon. Thats where the battery percentage switch is. Best battery display on a tablet. 100, 99, 98, 97...

iralden

Dec 3, 2012
hi! i tested your mobiz rom and i realized that it had better wifi range for some reason. and the wifi range on this CM9 rom kinda sucks. i dont really know anything about makig roms, but is it possible to use the whatever thing that controls the mobiz's wifi and use it on this rom too?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hi! i tested your mobiz rom and i realized that it had better wifi range for some reason. and the wifi range on this CM9 rom kinda sucks. i dont really know anything about makig roms, but is it possible to use the whatever thing that controls the mobiz's wifi and use it on this rom too?

No its not possible, the WiFi on mobiz is stock cm9 and cm10 are custom.

ashjay33

Dec 1, 2012
Cm9 is a plug now I can't move appa to SD card boot in recovery I have stock from but can't get clockwork mod installed cause need more space can anyone help me get this cm9 off my tablet

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
How did you install CM9 without cw recovery? also your tag lists you have a 9042, this is for 7042 completely different tablets.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012

There are so many great features on this rom including screen capture. No more screen capture apps with strange colors in the capture.

Last edited:

reddragon72

Jun 6, 2012
Been running this for a week now and love it. I have this tablet setup with Webkey, and Servers Ultimate and am hosting 5 servers. My touch screen is broken so I retired this to take over the job of my old Pentium server. Bet thing I ever did! I moved from mobiz rom to this and this is just better for what I use the tablet for.

Thanks Vampirefo!!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You don't. Coby tablets do not have bluetooth hardware on board. The workaround is to connect bluetooth using a miniUSB to USB adapter.