CM9 for Coby 8042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is a port of UNOFFICIAL cm9 by feiyu (0812 + patch) for Coby 8042.

This rom and the CM 9 for 7042 rom, eg system are the same, but kernel and bootloaders for 8042 and 7042 are different, so don't flash this version on any devices except a 8042.

Aurora/Elf UNOFFICIAL cm9 by feiyu (0801) - SlateDroid.com

The website DragonDevs - Community is currently down so I can't directly link to 0812 the one on Android Tablet Forum : Forums covering all Android Tablets I linked to is a slightly old version.

Seems to work good, wifi is slow to setup first time, I use wep on my router, once I typed in the password, I reset the router turned off and on the tablet wifi and my wifi connected just fine.

to watch netflix you need an older version

[Request] Netflix v1.8.1 apk ? - xda-developers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjcg471do3xjmak/netflix-1.8.1.apk

camera works
wifi works
facebook works
youtube works
temple run works
yahoo mail works
play store works

that's about all I tested, the main thing was to get camera, wifi, youtubes, netflix, play store, yahoo mail working as those are what I use.

CM_8042.zip

rom is very stable, fast no crashes that I have noticed.

make sure you have a backup and know how to get in to recovery in case something goes wrong

to install place zip on sdcard boot into cwm recovery and install.

dragondevs.com seems to be back online.

http://dragondevs.com/thread-237.html

change log
a few files removed, let busybox fill /system/xbin after install instead of before install, results smaller zip but once rebooted /system/xbin is populated.

Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Does this use CM's rock steady kernel? That alone would make it worth the download. All the allwinner kernels ive seen have probs.

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
omg' I'm exited because this means a probable port for the 9742. Woohoo! Cm10 would be great as its closer to a tablet os. I've seen mods for data to be moved/mounted on sd' perhaps this would work.

Let me see if I can post the link to it...

On the other hand, perhaps sd can be repartitioned or mounted as part of system such as a stripped/extended partition and the ext sd can be set as the instead of extsd. Just an idea, but I don't know if its possible.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
omg' I'm exited because this means a probable port for the 9742. Woohoo! Cm10 would be great as its closer to a tablet os. I've seen mods for data to be moved/mounted on sd' perhaps this would work.

Let me see if I can post the link to it...

On the other hand, perhaps sd can be repartitioned or mounted as part of system such as a stripped/extended partition and the ext sd can be set as the instead of extsd. Just an idea, but I don't know if its possible.

There are two options.

1. run cm10 from sdcard.
2. run cm10 from tablet

I am currently using option one, one simply partitions sdcard, creating 3 partitions 1 fat 2 ext4 partitions, 1 ext4 partition needs to be at least 400 MB, mine is 1 GB the second ext4 can be any size, mine is 4 GB the fat is for sdcard can be any size, mine is 10 GB

I use a 16 GB class 10 sdcard, cm10 runs just fine for me from sdcard.

option two is to use livesuite to increase the system partition to at least 400 MB, then cm10 can be installed to tablet like any other rom.

right now my system is using 377.2 MB the normal system for coby is 252 MB, so as you can see cm10 is way to big for default system on Coby tablets.

Last edited:

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
I never even got to explore the livesuite option, I took alternate routes to root+recovery, so I didnt know it had the option to resize partitions.
To me it just makes sense to merge the system partition in with the internal sd and make it one big ext4, then have the Extsd mount as the internal mem would (sd). More system space, plus, apps usually dont referrence extsd for ANYTHING, so you have a 32GB class 10 sd card thats not being fully utilized. I never understood the reasoning behind splitting up the space into system and sd when theres a slot for extsd. I use my tablet for everything, but I do run a lot of games, and those games want a bloatload saved to the sd mount point, not extsd, so I already filled up the 4gb...and my 32gb is practically blank.

I wouldnt want to run the OS right off the extsd, only because my wife and 3 year old daughter both use the tablet and I would hate for it to crash because the extsd was ejected by accident.

the 9742 has a system rom space of 2GB, so it might just be smooth sailing for the 9742 to run CM10

I would love to see this CM10 on the 9742... and I havent tried CM9 yet...does it identify itself to the market and apps as a samsung galaxy tab like the mobiz rom does?

Can this cm9 rom be run on the 9742? if so, what would I need to do after applying the zip? in your other ports you mention applying the boot.img...would this be the same? also, if all my videos are upside down, would applying the factory boot.img to the rom fix it?

sorry for soo many questions, I really appreciate your work and knowledge on this!

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I never even got to explore the livesuite option, I took alternate routes to root+recovery, so I didnt know it had the option to resize partitions.
To me it just makes sense to merge the system partition in with the internal sd and make it one big ext4, then have the Extsd mount as the internal mem would (sd). More system space, plus, apps usually dont referrence extsd for ANYTHING, so you have a 32GB class 10 sd card thats not being fully utilized. I never understood the reasoning behind splitting up the space into system and sd when theres a slot for extsd. I use my tablet for everything, but I do run a lot of games, and those games want a bloatload saved to the sd mount point, not extsd, so I already filled up the 4gb...and my 32gb is practically blank.

I wouldnt want to run the OS right off the extsd, only because my wife and 3 year old daughter both use the tablet and I would hate for it to crash because the extsd was ejected by accident.

the 9742 has a system rom space of 2GB, so it might just be smooth sailing for the 9742 to run CM10

I would love to see this CM10 on the 9742... and I havent tried CM9 yet...does it identify itself to the market and apps as a samsung galaxy tab like the mobiz rom does?

Can this cm9 rom be run on the 9742? if so, what would I need to do after applying the zip? in your other ports you mention applying the boot.img...would this be the same? also, if all my videos are upside down, would applying the factory boot.img to the rom fix it?

sorry for soo many questions, I really appreciate your work and knowledge on this!

Honestly no way for me to know, I don't have a 9742, so can't build specifically for the 9742, also the 9742 as well as the 1042 has three different versions, so no one rom would work on all three. I can tell you not everything would work right away as the boot.img for 8042 loads different modules then the 9742, that is a major problem for the 9742 as all three versions load different modules, no way one boot.img could load correct modules for all three versions. The modules would overlap causing problems, if you have a backup and want to test the 8042 version of CM9 you can, best to do a lsmod and save it some where so you will know what modules need to be loaded on a working 9742.

I run a dual boot sometimes triple boot tablet, run CM10 from sdcard and CM9 from tablet, I just call a script if I want to boot into one or the other.

example

If I am in CM10 and I want to reboot into CM9 I just type reboot-cm9 in terminal or adb

If I am in CM9 and I want to reboot into CM10 I just type reboot-10 in terminal or adb

Of course if I want to reboot into same version I just type reboot in terminal or adb

Last edited:

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
Honestly no way for me to know, I don't have a 9742, so can't build specifically for the 9742, also the 9742 as well as the 1042 has three different versions, so no one rom would work on all three. I can tell you not everything would work right away as the boot.img for 8042 loads different modules then the 9742, that is a major problem for the 9742 as all three versions load different modules, no way one boot.img could load correct modules for all three versions. The modules would overlap causing problems, if you have a backup and want to test the 8042 version of CM9 you can, best to do a lsmod and save it some where so you will know what modules need to be loaded on a working 9742.

I run a dual boot sometimes triple boot tablet, run CM10 from sdcard and CM9 from tablet, I just call a script if I want to boot into one or the other.

example

If I am in CM10 and I want to reboot into CM9 I just type reboot-cm9 in terminal or adb

If I am in CM9 and I want to reboot into CM10 I just type reboot-10 in terminal or adb

Of course if I want to reboot into same version I just type reboot in terminal or adb

This is SWEET!!! but sad to say, I don't have 8042...
Tried this on my 9742-8, everything is freaking awesome...BUT........it's not yet that usable...
screen is upside down, touchscreen not working (had to use usb mouse), camera not working...(after writing this and before sending, tried changing the cam and touchscreen drivers, cam works but not the front, and touch still not working)
but in GENERAL, i love everything about this ROM, i hope our kind vampirefo can work something out like this for 9742...
THANKS! trying all sorts of ROM for my 9742, so far, tried the one with livesuit (the most usable rom i've had), then the 9742_MobizV2, then the stock 9742 and this one CM9, still looking for different ROMS to work with until I find the one that suits me....THANKS guys!! keep 'em coming! :)

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
This is SWEET!!! but sad to say, I don't have 8042...
Tried this on my 9742-8, everything is freaking awesome...BUT........it's not yet that usable...
screen is upside down, touchscreen not working (had to use usb mouse), camera not working...(after writing this and before sending, tried changing the cam and touchscreen drivers, cam works but not the front, and touch still not working)
but in GENERAL, i love everything about this ROM, i hope our kind vampirefo can work something out like this for 9742...
THANKS! trying all sorts of ROM for my 9742, so far, tried the one with livesuit (the most usable rom i've had), then the 9742_MobizV2, then the stock 9742 and this one CM9, still looking for different ROMS to work with until I find the one that suits me....THANKS guys!! keep 'em coming! :)

UPDATE:
Tried CM10 on my 9742, yeah, vampire was right, it couldn't handle the size of the system partition which makes most of the apps and features hang or stopped working..wifi couldn't connect coz of this too...managed to connect my Sony LiveView watch on my coby thru bluetooth dongle with this but still, I went back to the "Livesuit" rom update :( as it is the only rom that works well for my 9742...
still looking for some other 9742 ROMS with bluetooth dongle capability, but DAMN! I really liked those cyanogenmod roms :(:mad:

verrwirung

Nov 4, 2012
It's me again..
just a question vampire, does this ROM supports usb bluetooth dongle? like the one on CM10?
thanks!
btw, managed to install CM10 again on my CK9742, now i installed it with 344MB system partition size instead of the stock 251, but still my wifi is not working, can't turn it on...any suggestions?
THANKS again!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It's me again..
just a question vampire, does this ROM supports usb bluetooth dongle? like the one on CM10?
thanks!
btw, managed to install CM10 again on my CK9742, now i installed it with 344MB system partition size instead of the stock 251, but still my wifi is not working, can't turn it on...any suggestions?
THANKS again!

I don't use bluetooth so no ideal if bluetooth works or not.

wifi depends on many things, best to run logcat while turning on wifi or attempting any trouble shooting,

also check and make sure system isn't full.

manekineko

Nov 18, 2012
hi vampirefo.. :) i downloaded CM9 zip and installed it using ClockworkMod but the touchscreen is not working.
how will i fix this? thanks! :)