CM9 for Coby 8042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I do have CW recovery installed and that's why I'm using to install the ROM.

Edit: Let me temporarily rescind this question as I'm not 100% sure that the CWM recovery tool installed correctly as I remember seeing a 3e which might still be the Android recovery tool. I was using Traveller1701's root_restore.bat to install the CWM Recovery. Let me try running the steps in this thread (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...09-cw-recovery-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html) and I'll report back.

Do you see my name on the recovery?

nelsonuwp

Jan 15, 2013
Do you see my name on the recovery?

No, and that's what got me thinking I had something wrong. Like I said earlier, I tried using Traveller1701's root_restore.bat to do the whole works; the root took, the recovery installation did not. I ended up debugging my process by running the commands from the batch file in the console and I determined that there were a few typos and gaps in information that could have really helped.

So basically what I had to do was:

This all assumes you have the SDK installed.

Root:
1. Run the root_restore.bat from Traveller1701's http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html post. Unzip and drop in the same location as your abd.exe (I didn't overwrite the files).
2. Run root_restore.bat only doing the root.

Install CWM Recovery Tool:
I tried following the instructions here (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...09-cw-recovery-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html) but couldn't get past the step:
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery
I tried opening the shell and remounting as "rw" as SU, but it didn't take. I read a bunch of other info that said you needed to get into adb root, but I couldn't get into their either. Basically permissions errors all over the place.

1. Grab vampirefo's recovery zip from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...09-cw-recovery-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html and unzip it to the same location as your abd.exe.
2. Rename recovery.img to "cwm_recovery.img" and drop in the data folder.
3. Open the command prompt as the administrator.
4. Run the following steps:
adb push data /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
adb shell /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh
adb shell su -c "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot"

These commands are basically from the root_restore.bat file. The only reason I ran them like this is so I could see which step was failing. It turns out the batch file expect the image recovery file "recovery.img" to be labeled "cwm_recovery.img" and in the data folder; I don't remember that being documented by the developers anywhere.

Once you're in the recovery tool you should be able to easily install the 8042.zip ROM and be good to go. I had trouble with the touchscreen and had to download the volume folder from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...her-problems-after-installing-custom-rom.html and inserting it into the 8042.zip. When I unzipped 8042.zip, deleted volume, and zipped it back up, the ROM install didn't work and I got "Installation aborted" in the recovery tool. I was also not able to boot into recovery mode unless I ran the command (adb shell su -c "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot"). When placing the volume folder in the 8042.zip use 7zip and drag from volume.zip to 8042.zip overwriting any existing files and folders.

I don't know if this is in the right location, but this thread is ultimately what got the ball rolling for me to get the problem fixed. Now everything is working splendid and my 8042 is running like a real tablet, not the haggard piece of garbage that came out of the box.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
In the sticky's second post it clearly says to rename the ClockworkMod image to cwm_recovery.img and to place it in the data directory. So it has been documented, and for quite some time now.

PrinceBlade

Jan 8, 2013
oh i see....so that CM9 8042 you post will be the last update...and for CM10 8042 thats the last update too right??...thanks bro for all...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Note to all this rom and 7042 rom both should work on any coby allwinner, but you can't just install either of these roms on any device except for which they are designed for. Every Coby has a different kernel and a different bootloader, so flashing a cm9 8042 on any devices besides a coby 8042 will cause undesirable problems. Same goes for any rom for the coby 7042, those roms are for??? yep a coby 7042.

Can this rom be ported to other coby allwinner devices? Yes, am I going to port them? not likely.

Do not flash this rom on your device unless your device is a 8042. Also note newer coby's are different than older versions, make a backup of your device before installing any rom, so you can go back to stock if this rom doesn't work for you.

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Hello :)

So I'm looking forward to install CM9 again and in future CM10.
Oke now that I can get back into CW recovery how to install this Rom?
I mean must I mount a partition? do a wipe? or something like that first?
adb works now adb shell works su works and has permissions.
I also have working backups [3] a dump

Thank U for being here.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The way I install roms.
Put the rom on root of sdcard
Boot into cw recovery wipe data and cache.
Use cw recovery to navigate to rom use cw recovery to install rom.
Reboot to system.
Wait this can take a few minutes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Oke if I change my mind in doing that I'll report here. For now I think I'll look around the forum for tips and know things how they are.

Edit: Ahhh that's why I didn't wipe data & cache before!

Last edited:

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
So is there a way maybe to check if my tablet is ready for CM9 or maybe to know if it's functioning properly. And that the installation will succeed?
Right now using it it's like it was before.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This rom was built based on the 8042 I had, if your tablet is different then this won't work for you. CM roms require boot.img modifications, a stock boot.img won't work correctly on a cm rom.

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
but if I install CM9 the boot.img of CM9 will also be installed or not? I mean the stock boot.img will be overwritten?