CM9 for Coby 9740 + New Recovery

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is a port of UNOFFICIAL cm9 by feiyu (0812 + patch) for Coby 9740.

This rom and the CM9 for 7042,8042, eg systems are the same, but kernel and bootloaders for 8042,7042,9740 are different, so don't flash this version on any devices except a 9740.

Aurora/Elf UNOFFICIAL cm9 by feiyu (0801) - SlateDroid.com

The website DragonDevs - Community is currently down so I can't directly link to 0812 the one on Android Tablet Forum : Forums covering all Android Tablets I linked to is a slightly old version.

Seems to work good, wifi is slow to setup first time, I use wep on my router, once I typed in the password, I reset the router turned off and on the tablet wifi and my wifi connected just fine.

camera works
wifi works
facebook works
youtube works
yahoo mail works
play store works
chrome works

that's about all I tested, the main thing was to get camera, wifi, youtubes, netflix, play store, yahoo mail, chrome working as those are what I use.

cm9_9740.zip

rom is very stable, fast no crashes that I have noticed.

make sure you have a backup and know how to get in to recovery in case something goes wrong

to install place zip on sdcard boot into cwm recovery and install.

New recovery for 9740 can be installed through stock recovery or older cw recovery

Version 6.0.2.8

9740_recovery_signed.zip

This is for Coby 9740, if you don't have a Coby 9740 don't install this, I just got my 9740 this week so this is built from the latest Coby 9740.

The build.prop date of my Coby 9740 is Thu Jan 10 12:03:02 CST 2013

As always make a dump and backup up before installing this rom.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have noticed the latest version of 9740, system is large enough to run CM10 from tablet. I may later port CM10 to 9740. system needs to be larger than 350 MB, This 9740 system is 500 MB.

Code:
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:~/Desktop$ adb shell
root@android:/ # busybox df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                   407.1M     44.0K    407.1M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   407.1M         0    407.1M   0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs                   407.1M         0    407.1M   0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/nandd        503.9M    237.6M    266.3M  47% /system
/dev/block/nande          2.0G    227.4M      1.7G  11% /data
/dev/block/nandh        503.9M      8.6M    495.3M   2% /cache
/dev/block/nandi         15.9M      4.0K     15.9M   0% /mnt/private
/dev/block/vold/93:80
                          4.3G      1.4G      2.8G  34% /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/vold/93:80
                          4.3G      1.4G      2.8G  34% /mnt/secure/asec
root@android:/ #

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Perhaps Coby is finally realizing that providing firmware updates for your devices is a good idea?

How easily ported is this ROM to the 9742? I'd know I'd likely have to use the 9742 boot.img, but is there anything else to watch out for?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Perhaps Coby is finally realizing that providing firmware updates for your devices is a good idea?

How easily ported is this ROM to the 9742? I'd know I'd likely have to use the 9742 boot.img, but is there anything else to watch out for?

Shouldn't be too hard, The Hard part was porting from Aurora/Elf to Coby, I had to compile the libs, and wifi files, But This should be able to be ported to any Coby allwinner.
I am on my way to work, I work nights right now.

Anyway download the rom open the zip, delete /system/vendor /system/usr /system/etc/camera.cfg /system/lib/hw/camera.exDroid.so
/system/lib/hw/sensors.exDroid.so /system/lib/hw/lights.sun4i.so

Now replace the above files and or folders with your own 9742 files and folders.

The next thing most likely add the 180 rotation to build.prop

You then would need to edit the boot.img add your kernel. If you upload your kernel I will do it for you when I can.

From here we see how the rom runs on your 9742, if not working well add more files from /system/lib/hw

stellar

Jun 2, 2013
Hi vampirefo,

I've been reading into this site (and your posts), for the past week, but I can't seem to root my Coby 9740. I followed the instructions religiously, particularly on the sticky post below:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

I ran the root utility, chose the 7042 option,

BUcvaDL7HvLsAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

And the device rebooted. However, when I was trying to get the dumps, I got the following errors:

wf62Ec+2GgLcgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

heKnkTh1y0stgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So it looks like my tablet was not rooted.

I tried it several times, getting same results.

My Tablet info is below:

Model : MID9740
Android Version: 4.0.4
Kernel: 3.0.8+
Build Number: 20130226.185145

I am not a linux guy, so I apologize. Can you please assist on how to root my tablet (so that I can install CM9 as per your post above)? If there are some steps posted before that I missed, please point it to me.

Thanks so much for your contributions on this community.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampirefo,

I've been reading into this site (and your posts), for the past week, but I can't seem to root my Coby 9740. I followed the instructions religiously, particularly on the sticky post below:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

I ran the root utility, chose the 7042 option,

BUcvaDL7HvLsAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

And the device rebooted. However, when I was trying to get the dumps, I got the following errors:

wf62Ec+2GgLcgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

heKnkTh1y0stgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So it looks like my tablet was not rooted.

I tried it several times, getting same results.

My Tablet info is below:

Model : MID9740
Android Version: 4.0.4
Kernel: 3.0.8+
Build Number: 20130226.185145

I am not a linux guy, so I apologize. Can you please assist on how to root my tablet (so that I can install CM9 as per your post above)? If there are some steps posted before that I missed, please point it to me.

Thanks so much for your contributions on this community.

I don't see any errors in your post, I am unable to provide windows support, Traveller1701 is the windows guru, and that is his root script so he would need to help you with it. also notice your device build date is different than mine, so a dump is a must, if this doesn't work on your device the dump will allow you to return to stock.

Last edited:

desmopedro

May 20, 2012
I am getting an error trying to install BOTH files! I am booting into Android system recovery <3e> and using "Apply update from external storage". Once the update starts I am getting a message "E:failed to verify whole-file signature" and "E:signature verification failed" then the installation is aborted. The tablet is rooted.....I have tried wiping the cache...not sure why I am getting this error. Thank you for any help!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am getting an error trying to install BOTH files! I am booting into Android system recovery <3e> and using "Apply update from external storage". Once the update starts I am getting a message "E:failed to verify whole-file signature" and "E:signature verification failed" then the installation is aborted. The tablet is rooted.....I have tried wiping the cache...not sure why I am getting this error. Thank you for any help!

Only the recovery is signed. no ideal why it fails, perhaps you need to format your sdcard. Your tablet is rooted? How did you root the tablet? you can flash cw recovery via adb on a rooted tablet.

rbrewington

Sep 22, 2013
Tried this after using the Root utility to successfully get root and cwm installed but now am stuck on the coby screen. ADB will trigger reboots, but can't get into recovery anymore and don't know which direction to go next. Dump was posted to that forum earlier today when things were still working.

Ryan

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Try to go into recovery with the hard keys it should work. Else find out how to restore your dump.

rbrewington

Sep 22, 2013
Try to go into recovery with the hard keys it should work. Else find out how to restore your dump.

I can't get to recovery with hard keys or with adb reboot recovery command. I can run it and get back into coby screen loop just the same as adb reboot by itself. Adb shell gives an error message as well. I have the dump that I made but don't see anything about installing it back withoutbeing able to get into a recovery at all. Anyone got suggestions?

Ryan

rbrewington

Sep 22, 2013
It's allwinner. CWM was working fine until I updated to the newer version posted here and tried to put CM9 on this. I've tried to redo the root with travellers utility it gets through without errors but nothing happens. Same with trying to use the utility to install stock recovery or the older CWM that was working prior except the recovery process does not cause the device to reboot when it says it is finished. Anyway, was trying to put CM9 on this for friends and don't want to have to buy a new one for them if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You need to boot into recovery, the key before installing any rom is to know how to do boot into recovery mode via hard key, clearly you don't know, and should not be flashing roms until you can use hard keys to get into recovery mode.

adb reboot recovery means nothing, where did you even get that command? not from anyone using an allwinner, the adb command is

adb shell

su

echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

or

reboot-recovery

turn off tablet press and release volume up + power then hold volume up + power til you see Coby release power.

If people would just take the time and learn how to boot their tablet into recovery mode, before modify their tablet they would have less problems.

rbrewington

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the help. I will say that I had gotten to recovery 3 times with this tablet through using the hard key combo, so I had no reason to think there would be a problem. I took a few hour long break with the tablet on and then with the ADB root utility from traveler reflashed the newer recovery and then used the CM9 zip (all without having to use the hard keys). I must have gotten the volume up vs. down thing switched during the time away from the tablet and then I panicked. ROM looks nice with some screen flicker just where the main keys are, so I'll look around to see if there is a way to fix that.