CM9 for Coby 9740 + New Recovery

Moaz93

Sep 27, 2013
Shouldn't be too hard, The Hard part was porting from Aurora/Elf to Coby, I had to compile the libs, and wifi files, But This should be able to be ported to any Coby allwinner.
I am on my way to work, I work nights right now.

Anyway download the rom open the zip, delete /system/vendor /system/usr /system/etc/camera.cfg /system/lib/hw/camera.exDroid.so
/system/lib/hw/sensors.exDroid.so /system/lib/hw/lights.sun4i.so

Now replace the above files and or folders with your own 9742 files and folders.

The next thing most likely add the 180 rotation to build.prop

You then would need to edit the boot.img add your kernel. If you upload your kernel I will do it for you when I can.

From here we see how the rom runs on your 9742, if not working well add more files from /system/lib/hw
thanks i tried that on my coby MID9742 and the rom was booted successfully, but the display was flipped and the touch was inverted so i used a USB mouse, and the internal storage is invisible so ther is no option to mount it because its not listed in the storage section in the settings.
thank you for any fixes.

Last edited:

Moaz93

Sep 27, 2013
im just asking, can you give me a link for any method about how to convert the dump (backup from CWM recovery) to .zip file, to install it via CWM recovery or extract files from it ?
thank you for any help

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
im just asking, can you give me a link for any method about how to convert the dump (backup from CWM recovery) to .zip file, to install it via CWM recovery or extract files from it ?
thank you for any help

There is none, a backup by cwm is installed via cwm.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

dukkha67

Oct 13, 2013
Hello guys, I have that tablet and I really want to install this cm9, but the day that I figured out how to do it, the tablet turned against me and stopped working. I turned it on and the keyboard was pretty strange, showing symbols that I never seen there... so I tried to reboot and... didn't boot anymore.

The tablet was rooted, and I have tried to load a recovery or even the cm9 itself somehow but it won't just get into recovery mode via hardkeys. I tried the power + vol +/vol-/back (all the keys at the same time, every combination, EVERYTHING) and the damn tablet won't do it. It gets stuck on the ANDROID screen and seems won't ever get to work. What can I do besides throwing it through the window?

BTW, I've left it on that android screen for a day to see if it does work... nothing. I wonder if there's anything I can do through ADB on ubuntu, since I hate windows. Please do help me!

Last edited:

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
Hello guys, I have that tablet and I really want to install this cm9, but the day that I figured out how to do it, the tablet turned against me and stopped working. I turned it on and the keyboard was pretty strange, showing symbols that I never seen there... so I tried to reboot and... didn't boot anymore.

The tablet was rooted, and I have tried to load a recovery or even the cm9 itself somehow but it won't just get into recovery mode via hardkeys. I tried the power + vol +/vol-/back (all the keys at the same time, every combination, EVERYTHING) and the damn tablet won't do it. It gets stuck on the ANDROID screen and seems won't ever get to work. What can I do besides throwing it through the window?

BTW, I've left it on that android screen for a day to see if it does work... nothing. I wonder if there's anything I can do through ADB on ubuntu, since I hate windows. Please do help me!
You say it is rooted right if you had USB Debugging left ON ( which would be a chance to revive it) this should let you in recovery( did you install CWM?)

adb shell

su

echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

But I don't know I have a strange feeling your doing something wrong here!.

dukkha67

Oct 13, 2013
You say it is rooted right if you had USB Debugging left ON ( which would be a chance to revive it) this should let you in recovery( did you install CWM?)

adb shell

su

echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nandf count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot

But I don't know I have a strange feeling your doing something wrong here!.

I'll try this, thanks for replying so fast! And well, I don't know, I have that strange feeling as well but it just won't turn on. It stays on the Android screen and won't do anything with hardkeys. I even remember doing it before and it used to work so I have no idea why it does not work. I opened it, checked if the buttons where ok, they are. So I'll just try this and see, thank you mate!

BTW, Debugging is on, but I have no cwm so it might not work right?

I tried this but didn't work http://cellphonetricksrepairs.blogs...id9740-hang-on-andriod-done.html#comment-form

And no, I tried it and ubuntu says "insuficient device permissions". The only way my laptop can even recognize it is when is stuck in that android screen and it won't do **** :(

dukkha-post@Dukkha-Ubuntu:~$ adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: insufficient permissions for device
dukkha-post@Dukkha-Ubuntu:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You don't know what insufficient permissions on Linux means?
Reboot tablet,
Reboot computer,
Then sudo adb shell

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

Last edited:

dukkha67

Oct 13, 2013
I'm sorry mate, I had a problem with adb but it is currently working... still I cannot make the tablet work. I did as you guys told me, the comand lines and it restarted. Tried boot it into recovery making the hardkeys hold and won't do it. I think the tablet is gone. It just gets to the android screen again.

I even tried with adb reboot recovery and didn't do nothing when it restarted :(

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
adb reboot recovery does nothing, you need to use echo command or use adb to factory reset.
You need root before any of the commands will work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

dukkha67

Oct 13, 2013
Ok I tried this and I don't if I am the one doing something wrong, but it says:

shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # rm -r /data/*
rm failed for /data/anr, Read-only file system
255|shell@android:/ # rm -r /cache/*
rm failed for /cache/lost+found, Read-only file system
255|shell@android:/ #

Am I doing something wrong? I'm sorry, I'm no expert, just a linux enthusiast/windows hater

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok I tried this and I don't if I am the one doing something wrong, but it says:

Am I doing something wrong? I'm sorry, I'm no expert, just a linux enthusiast/windows hater
Means your tablet is messed up as it's read only your tablet isn't allowing the commands to write.

try this command

busybox mount -o remount,rw /data

busybox mount -o remount,rw /cache

then the rm commands.

dukkha67

Oct 13, 2013
Ok tried it a couple of times. Rebooted both my laptop and the tablet and it said:

shell@android:/ # busybox mount -o remount,rw /data
shell@android:/ # busybox mount -o remount,rw /cache

I guess the tablet is going to heaven huh?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
how did you root your tablet?

what recovery is on your tablet?

Last edited: