CMP741E Complete Nandroid Backup

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Awesome, so this narrows it down to some type of issue in

nandd --> System... the size is off but you mentioned as to why...
nande --> I don't think it is an issue since it's the Data partition and that is always erased via Factory reset.
nandi --> ??? No Idea

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
found this regarding partitions.. Android/partitions - linux-sunxi

"Allwinner changed the layout a little some time after changing to Android ICS 4.0. Previous versions of the Android firmware would use partition with field "user_type" of 0 or 2. However, Allwinner appear to have added type 1."
The following is the partition layout from Mele-v1.3BETA Android firmware:
iddev/block/*SizeNameTypeDescription
0nanda16MiBbootloadervfatFiles to assist the bootloader. Think battery status images etc. also u-boot.bin, script.bin and .ini lives here
1nandb16MiBenvrawEnviroment to assist u-boot.
2nandc32MiBbootrawHolds the kernel (and its ramdisk) in ANDROID mkbootimg form
3nandd512MiBsystemext4Android's /system partition
4nande1.5GiBdataext4Android /data partition
5nandf16MiBmiscrawPartition used to pass data amongst various stages of the boot chain (e.g. boot into recovery mode, fastboot etc)
6nandg32MiBrecoveryrawAndroid's recovery partition
7nandh128MiBcacheext4Mounted as /cache and appear to contain backup information
8nandi16MiBprivatevfatMounted as /mnt/private
9nandj512MiBsysrecoveryraw
10nandk944MiBUDISKvfatMounted by vold as /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/secure/asec

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
is there any way to find out kernel version through adb? since my touch screen doesn't work, I can't navigate through the settings menu.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
I remember reading about this on XDA, just tried it out and works well: xda-developers - View Single Post - Adb Rapid Tool

thanks. I double checked and I do indeed have the right kernel.
I was reading up on this:
[FIX][GUIDE] Fixing broken Wifi, G-Sensor, etc.

but I guess it wouldn't help in our situation right? Since my boot.img and everything in my system/vendor/modules folder would be the same as yours?

EDIT:

also i noticed something really weird. After rebooting the tablet twice, in the "about tablet" menu, the model number is now M701C instead of CMP741e, and the build number is also something other than what the stock rom is supposed to be. I am guessing that these model number and build number corresponds to the original firmware image that I flashed... but I did totally formatted /system before performing the nandroid restore. Upon the first reboot, I did double check and the model number WAS cmp741e. somehow they just changed. Where are they coming from?!

Last edited:

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
So I downloaded 3 compatibility zips from here: [rom] Unofficial CyanogenMod 9 for many AllWinner A10 tablets - xda-developers and looked through them.
In all 3 zips, they flash "script.bin" and "script0.bin" into the /bootloader folder of the tablet ("/dev/block/nanda). I have really high hopes that this is the part that's missing!

if possible, could you please make a dump of your nanda, or provide copies of your "script.bin" and "script0.bin" from your /bootloader? I am not sure how to put them into my tablet, but I guess I could put them into one of those compatibility zips and flash it.

If this does fix touchscreen/g-sensors, that means a compatibility zip for cm9 or cm10 is possible =)

Last edited:

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Good looking!

So while doing some more searching I found this information here:
How to restore your tablet from the dump !

Here is Nanda which should be bootloader.img
Dev-Host - nanda.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

---
I will make the rest later today... CWM 5.5 doesn't have ADB and I think we'd get a better IMG if I made the dumb via CWM so I will try to install CWM 6 later and see what happens.

FYI dump was done via:
cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/nanda.img

---
If you read the link about restoring, you can probably use the A10 Dump I made before
http://d-h.st/CKF It has all the files they ask for.

Verified that the bootloader.img from A10 dump and from ADB dump have same MD5.

Last edited:

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
Good looking!

So while doing some more searching I found this information here:
How to restore your tablet from the dump !

Here is Nanda which should be bootloader.img
Dev-Host - nanda.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

---
I will make the rest later today... CWM 5.5 doesn't have ADB and I think we'd get a better IMG if I made the dumb via CWM so I will try to install CWM 6 later and see what happens.

FYI dump was done via:
cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/nanda.img

---
If you read the link about restoring, you can probably use the A10 Dump I made before
Dev-Host - A10_FW_BACKUP_20130120_1154.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service It has all the files they ask for.

Verified that the bootloader.img from A10 dump and from ADB dump have same MD5.

ok... so I restored bootloader.img to nanda, and...:(:(:(

IT WORKED BABY!!! my touchscreen and rotation sensor both work! Thank you mastermind. I could not have done this without you. I am going to try flashing cm9 on it along with the old bootloader and touchscreen/gesensor drivers to see if it works =) Thanks again

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
c19932/ mastermind278 could either of you outline the steps in one post so I and other newbies can follow along??

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Glad it worked. Yes, this will hopefully open up new doors to CM9 and CM10.

I recommend first trying CM9 (ICS drivers should work that way).

Now that I know it can be restored I can once again start playing with the CMP741e without fear of bricking. When I was developing for the Motorola CliqXT I ended up bricking the touchscreen on it [nothing could bring if back] due to some silly driver messing things up, and I didn't want to once again be in the awkward situation of a nonworking touchscreen.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
c19932/ mastermind278 could either of you outline the steps in one post so I and other newbies can follow along??

how far have you gone through? are you able to boot into recovery? please clarify your current state, thanks

chitown_

Jan 16, 2013
1) I downloaded your 4.03 file in a previous thread and successfully flashed it to the unit (livesuite). The unit boots up all the way without touchscreen.
2) downloaded the recovery files (cwm_recovery_6.0.1.0_a10c_28072012.zip)
3) pending: I have to download ADB to push the recovery files using the commands you had specified. (new to android debug bridge, will have to figure out how to use it and push the files). I assume after this step I can boot into recovery.
Thats as far as I got.

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
Glad it worked. Yes, this will hopefully open up new doors to CM9 and CM10.

I recommend first trying CM9 (ICS drivers should work that way).

Now that I know it can be restored I can once again start playing with the CMP741e without fear of bricking. When I was developing for the Motorola CliqXT I ended up bricking the touchscreen on it [nothing could bring if back] due to some silly driver messing things up, and I didn't want to once again be in the awkward situation of a nonworking touchscreen.

mastermind, do you know know to repartition /system to bigger size?

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
I am thinking you could possibly format /system again, and then push nannd to it and see if it will go through?
No idea if it will work though... chances are it will not.

Hopefully someone else can chime in!

c19932

Jan 16, 2013
ok thanks mastermind. I saw that you made cm10 worked for cmp741d. have you considered making it work for cmp741e as well? that would be great.

I just tried loading drivers and such and it did not work for me when it comes to cm9 or cm10