Coby 7015a rooting ang market step by step instructions clockworkmod does not install

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
Coby 7015A rooting and gmarket
I am a newbie to this, got mine on Friday, decided to root and add the market, I have followed your instructions step by step and all goes well until #16 reboot recovery, I do that and it reboots to the first Coby screen and just stops, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, I end up having to hit the reset button, it says it's rooted and I have SU rights to terminal Emulator, but everytime I do this it just hangs, what am I doing wrong, I have all the files stated on the sd card, I just can't get past that screen, any help would be great, I really like this little device, just got one for my girlfriend and want to do the same for her, she loves what it does even without the update. I just need some help, I have been through every thread on this and I'm lost at this point.
Thanks for anything you can come up with for me.
Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. I have followed every step, several times, unrooting, rebooting, rooting and then repeating the above steps, I have downloaded all the files again, just in case they were bad in some way, and repeated the steps again with the same results, it reboots after reboot recovery, then all I get is the black Coby boot screen and it just freezes, I let it run for 30 minutes, just in case it takes awhile, but it never changes and I have to do a reset and it boots back up fine and everything works, but I can’t get it to go into clockworkmod to install the market, just what am I missing? I go back in and look at the files with AndExplorer, system, bin, flash_image 9.4 KB 3/25/11, so it did flash the file, so what am I doing wrong for this not to boot to clockworkmod? I can’t see where I’m going wrong. Thanks for any help anyone can give me; I’m just at my wits end with this process.

Last edited:

andyleenj

Mar 30, 2011
i just rooted mid7015a with same method. what version of kyros do you have? i am sure it's 7015a with 1.6a correct?

Last edited:

Dr.Ama

Apr 1, 2011
subscribing because I have the 7015a and heard that there was a difference between the 7015 & 7015a when it comes to rooting.

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
sorry, I have been working to much, yes it's1.6a 1/26/2011, firmware 2.1 update 1, kernal 2.6.29 root android 2.1 The process seems to work for most with the new version, but I guess not for me. I really would like to get the market, there's alot of apps out there, just don't know what to trust, I do use amazon and slideme, but want more, I have one for my girlfriend, she loves it just the way it is, just doesn't know what she is missing, is there any help out there for the newer version? Thanks

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
that is the right instructions, you just got to do it & watch out for typos. make sure you actually copied the files to sdcard, i had a few 0 files when i copied from pc, they looked like it was there but they were empty, bad copies.

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
I actually did that, wiped the sdcard and redid the files and get to the last step, reboot recovery, it just reboots to the coby screen and won't go any futher, just freezes up.

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
I am going to do it again, but I let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes, just how long sould I wait, there is no mention of time to boot to clockworkmod.

Joel_Miller

Mar 24, 2011
Clockworkmod reboot recovery is very fast. Booting the system after flashing a new ROM may take time, but reboot recovery is fast.

The issues with the 7015a and the 7015 or the old firmware vs the new firmware is that with the newer version they removed the flash_image application. So, when you execute the following command, it returns 'flash_image not found'
If you do not get this error, you do not have this issue and you do not have anything to worry about. If you run into this issue, please post there error in a new thread, not here (or just look up the error on this board any you will find your answer).

It sounds like you need to re-download a new copy of the clockwork recovery image. I think your copy may be corrupt. It looks like you did everything right or you wouldn't be where you got to. You see a # sign a the adb command-line so that means you correctly rooted it, performed the SU command, and can connect using ADB in debug mode.

Here is a copy of the most recent link to the recovery image that I found. Please download this and try again. I think you are doing everything right, you just need a new recovery.img file.
Sendspace.com - Download

Thanks!

atone

Apr 3, 2011
I am having the same problem. After downloading a new recovery.img and following steps above I still can not boot clockwork. The screen shows the android with an ! I then have to reset. Please any other ideas. I have one week left on my return policy. Thank you.

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
I deleted the recovery.img from the sdcard, downloaded the version from the link, same as yesterday, same results, should I unroot the device and start from the begining again, everything works, no error messages, it just will not boot into clockworkmod, I guess I will just make do with what I have now and wait and see if anyone else runs into this issue, I don't know what else to do, I have seen other posts about some download to the PC that takes 30 minutes or more to install and a bunch of code to push to the tab, but really don't want to go that route, anyone have any ideas? thanks for the help by the way. I'm not giving up yet, just time to think about what I'm doing, not a code writer.

Last edited:

robdeezle

Apr 7, 2011
Coby 7015A rooting and gmarket
I am a newbie to this, got mine on Friday, decided to root and add the market, I have followed your instructions step by step and all goes well until #16 reboot recovery, I do that and it reboots to the first Coby screen and just stops, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, I end up having to hit the reset button, it says it's rooted and I have SU rights to terminal Emulator, but everytime I do this it just hangs, what am I doing wrong, I have all the files stated on the sd card, I just can't get past that screen, any help would be great, I really like this little device, just got one for my girlfriend and want to do the same for her, she loves what it does even without the update. I just need some help, I have been through every thread on this and I'm lost at this point.
Thanks for anything you can come up with for me.
Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. I have followed every step, several times, unrooting, rebooting, rooting and then repeating the above steps, I have downloaded all the files again, just in case they were bad in some way, and repeated the steps again with the same results, it reboots after reboot recovery, then all I get is the black Coby boot screen and it just freezes, I let it run for 30 minutes, just in case it takes awhile, but it never changes and I have to do a reset and it boots back up fine and everything works, but I can’t get it to go into clockworkmod to install the market, just what am I missing? I go back in and look at the files with AndExplorer, system, bin, flash_image 9.4 KB 3/25/11, so it did flash the file, so what am I doing wrong for this not to boot to clockworkmod? I can’t see where I’m going wrong. Thanks for any help anyone can give me; I’m just at my wits end with this process.

i followed this and it worked i do have clockwork mod, but for some strange reason it lags alot in menu selection and while backing up it froze i cant seem to make a selection without it freezing?

kantmm

Oct 5, 2012
I have tried all the above suggestions and I still cannot get the clockwork recovery I did everything and it reboots but to the android recovery not the clockwork recovery some help would be great. thank you