Coby 7024/8024 auto charger

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I have looked some on Amazon for one. It seems that my 8024 (and I think the 7024 also) uses an A00 tip (iGo) the same tip as Kindle 1 and the same as some sprint phones. The problem is that the wall charger, I believe, says 2amps at 9vdc or 18watts. All the universal auto charges are 5-8watts. Is anyone using a auto charger for their Coby? How does it seem to work?

Edit: Well I was at the drug store (Rite Aid) at lunch today and picked up a Vector Mfg VEC009 Universal Dc Adapter.
Says it can do 2000ma @ 9vdc the same as the wall charger. Also a user replaceable fuse. I will post back after I try it out. Not sure about the tip size BUT it comes with several.

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
The Vector Mfg VEC009 Universal Dc Adapter works fine. I charged (was at ~60%) on the 30min trip in to work...(Not sure if it is faster or slower then the wall charger).

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
Interesting. The 7022 wall wart provides 5Vdc at 2000ma with a (+) center pin..

recording_fil

Jul 19, 2011
I had to learn all about USB cables this spring when I bought a solar charger with a usb output. Seems usb is 5v dc on pins 1 & 4, while the data is carried on pins 2 & 3.

For a usb device to be charged by a "dumb charger" aka nothing on the data wires, pins 2&3 need to be shorted out before the device will charge.

I cut a couple of usb cables & tued together the wires & it works fine now.

All that being said, to make a car charger (usb cable that plugs into my usb car outple), all you'd need to do is find an adapter tip that fits & splice it into pins 1 & 4 on an old usb cable (might want to make sure you have tip + & sleeve -)
I'll get one made up as soon as I can.

Fil

mikew99

Apr 9, 2011
Thanks for the tip about the Coby 8024 using the same tip as the Kindle 1. I have a 7022 and wanted to be able to charge it via USB. A Web search turned up a reference to the Kindle 1 charger being the same as the Palm Zire charger. So I took a chance and ordered the PALM TUNGSTEN E Zire 31 72 USB HOTSYNC Charger Cable from eBay. It contains two cables in one, a USB-to-power cable and a USB-to-mini USB cable. I have been using it to successfully charge my 7022 by plugging it into any powered USB port. As a plus, I can use the same cable to transfer files between my laptop and my 7022.

I'm sure it takes longer to charge the 7022 via USB, but it means that I don't have to carry the bulky AC charger when I travel. And I can get cheap replacements. It would make sense that any charger (USB, auto, or AC) for the Kindle 1 or the Palm Zire should work for the 7022. No guarantees, but if you don't want to have to make a cable, it might be worth a try.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I am surprised you can charge the 7022 via 5.0V USB. I thought my 8024 battery was 7.4V? Maybe the 7022 is different?

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
I wouldn't charge my tablet via usb. standard usb port only output .5 to .75 amp, and the tablet is sucking close to 2 amp of charge. it will sure make the usb port running really hot. i am using a 5v, 2500mA enercell car charger with usb port from radio shack, and you can buy the right tips for charging. (2.35mm od 0.7mm id)

Last edited:

Aug 4, 2011
Hello! I have a 8024. It turns out that if you connect through a standard USB Tablet (home) cord Charger USB-device with the firepower of more than 2 amps, the tablet will be charged? Nuzhet or another (not native) and a cable which mode should be located on the scanner USB?