Coby 7030 self-bricked

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
The other night I got woken up by the Coby logo on my tablet.
Didnt do ANYTHING to it at all, it was working fine with Google Play and all after being rooted for some time.

I guess it is the Coby Screen of Death, because no matter what, it wont turn off, or go past this screen.
I returned it to the shop where I bought it less than 2 months ago.

Utter POS.

I guess it somehow updated itself at some point, and didnt like the root & google app files that I put on it.

Time for a WinTouch one, with a proper capacitive screen for 2/3 of the price of the 7030

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
you paid $88 for the coby, it doesn't have capacitive screen, you can buy a WinTouch one for $60? good luck.

as far as I know coby gives 1 year warranty, as far as update? I doubt it coby doesn't send out updates.

Last edited:

lalaland

Oct 12, 2012
as far as I know coby gives 1 year warranty, as far as update? I doubt it coby doesn't send out updates.

This is what I fail to understand.

The device is on standby, connected to the internet, with the screen off.
My understanding is that the Coby white logo hides all the linux verbose when you start the tablet.
So the tablet being left with this screen means that android system fails to load on the tablet, either due to software or hardware failure.
All the buttons, including the reset one are completely unresponsive.

Maybe I should have left the battery to fully drain before sending it back, but my limited experience tells me that errors like this do not happen by chance, and that they tend to come back at some stage, unless they get fixed somehow and they just dont fix themselves.

So yes, WinTouch ones (direct from the factory/importer) cost just $60 with a better screen and HDMI output, and I need a capacitive screen to test Swype for disabled access which precision the Coby just wont give me, even though I guess it was 'fine' in other areas, before it gained self-consciousness and decided to terminte itself.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is what I fail to understand.

The device is on standby, connected to the internet, with the screen off.
My understanding is that the Coby white logo hides all the linux verbose when you start the tablet.
So the tablet being left with this screen means that android system fails to load on the tablet, either due to software or hardware failure.
All the buttons, including the reset one are completely unresponsive.

Maybe I should have left the battery to fully drain before sending it back, but my limited experience tells me that errors like this do not happen by chance, and that they tend to come back at some stage, unless they get fixed somehow and they just dont fix themselves.

So yes, WinTouch ones (direct from the factory/importer) cost just $60 with a better screen and HDMI output, and I need a capacitive screen to test Swype for disabled access which precision the Coby just wont give me, even though I guess it was 'fine' in other areas, before it gained self-consciousness and decided to terminte itself.

Oh well, good luck on your new tablet.