Coby 7033 Bootlooping

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
I recently purchased a Coby 7033 tablet (black friday deal that only cost me $15), which was running ICS 4.0.3. After reading and trying several different sites, I finally found this site here and managed to get the device rooted (using the root method for a 7035, only difference between the model is the touchscreen, 7033 is resistive, 7035 being capacitive). After doing the root, the device booted fine, and the root was kept. The issue didn't start until I was copying over the files for the google play store. After copying the files, I went to reboot the device, and somehow managed to cause the device to sit in a bootloop on the android screen.

I've tried to do the Master Reset, as well as trying to access the device via the ADB, however without being able to cut on USB debugging, I can't get ADB to connect. I noticed that there was another option named "Update from external storage" (Under the recovery menu). Is there anyway that I can fix/restore the device via this option, or am I screwed.

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
Just tried making a signed "Update.zip" file that contains an updater script which would remove the Google Play store files, set the /system/ back as 644, and hopefully get the device working again. Using the "Apply update from external storage" and then picking this update.zip, seems to only give me an error "File Verification Failed". Do I need to use a Coby signed file, or do I have to do something else to get the file to apply?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Just tried making a signed "Update.zip" file that contains an updater script which would remove the Google Play store files, set the /system/ back as 644, and hopefully get the device working again. Using the "Apply update from external storage" and then picking this update.zip, seems to only give me an error "File Verification Failed". Do I need to use a Coby signed file, or do I have to do something else to get the file to apply?

Yes, the update file must be signed for your device. Try booting to recovery. If you left debugging on you should be able to use ADB.

Last edited:

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
Yes, the update file must be signed for your device.
I've created a signed zip file using my own private / public keys (have had to manually sign apk files before for other android devices that didn't have a known root method at the time). The problem is that even this zip file gives the same error. Is there something that i'm missing, do i need a special key when signing it?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
You know more about it than me. Try checking Vampirefo's zip he uses for the Root and gapps for 7032, 7034, 7036 etc thread. Not to apply, but for the structure.

Last edited:

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
Hmm, the zip files are structured the same way. Looks like it's looking for a specific signature before applying the update.zip.

The only other way that i've been reading is to reflash the device using the Vortex Flash Tool, which requires me to have multiple files off the device to start (dfu.bin, U-boot.bin, Boot.img, Recovery.img, System.img, Userdata.img, Cache.img, UDiskData.img). I can avoid messing with the main files and only deal with the system.img with some config tweaks, but I don't have a working system.img that I can use (the current bootloop is what my current backup is...DOH).

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Most likely you need use correct mount points and zips would require coby signature, any of my zips should pass your stock signature check, but won't install due to your filesystem.

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
Really wish the device was able to connect to ADB while stuck, i'd have already fixed the issue...lol

Anyone here taken apart a 7033, if so, does it use the same trick that most of these tablets do by storing the filesystem on a micro-sd card? I'm hoping so, because I'm not wanting to try and use this Flash tool and end up with even worse of a problem.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What you need is a system dump and a boot.img then we could restore you to stock,

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
I managed to get the boot.img file off of a friends Kyros 7035 (same device, only difference is the 7033 has a resistive touch screen) that i was rooting for him. Not sure if that will help get mine up and running, but worth a shot. Also, do the devices have "fastboot" mode on them, as if this img isn't the right one, I might be able to obtain it through the ADB and fastboot.

Link for boot.img off the 7035:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53265858/MID7035/boot.img

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I managed to get the boot.img file off of a friends Kyros 7035 (same device, only difference is the 7033 has a resistive touch screen) that i was rooting for him. Not sure if that will help get mine up and running, but worth a shot. Also, do the devices have "fastboot" mode on them, as if this img isn't the right one, I might be able to obtain it through the ADB and fastboot.

Link for boot.img off the 7035:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53265858/MID7035/boot.img

I have the 7035 boot.img and dump, your device should have fastboot, but may only be available via adb, are you sure about this tablet being the same as 7035? is so first test will be to turn on adb.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
ok the 7035 filesystem is ubifs, hard to deal with filesystem.

I am trying to determine correct mount for ubifs, will have something for your to try in a few minutes.

thevolget

Dec 17, 2012
Well time for bed, I did get this uploaded for you, if all goes well you should be able to boot, if not you should at least have adb, if not then we will have to do more testing tomorrow.

I am guessing on mount points, based on 7035 boot.img and recovery.img

7033_root_gapps_signed.zip
Thanks a bunch, going to test this out as soon as I get home. If this doesn't work, going to try fastboot and booting off CWM recovery that I had compiled last night using the stock recovery.img for the 7035 and see if that doesn't get me any closer.