Coby 7042 - accidentally flashed with 8042 image...

Willd

Jun 2, 2012
I posted about this problem on another site, and the guy who was kind enough to offer some help was too technical for my abilities, so I'm hoping someone here may have the answer to my stupidity in language I can understand... So here is a summary of what I did:-

I dropped a major faux-pas and flashed my new MID7042 with an 8042 image.

I didn't realise initially what I'd done, but the homescreen didn't fit on the screen, and the touchscreen was way out, the active area bearing absolutely no relation to where it was touched.

After a little head scratching I realised what I'd done, and subsequently reflashed - with the "proper" image - "coby_ 7042_4.0.3_0.1.img" then coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.img", then back to its non modified original image - "coby_7042_4.0.3.img".

In all cases, everything is now working, with the exception of the touchscreen, which is completely unusable - the touchscreen behaviour is quite bizarre - I enabled the touch position confirmation utility in developer tools on the tablet, and I'd struggle to explain quite what it does without posting video (which I don't have!), but:-

In landscape mode, there is effectively a dead area across the screen, for about 2/3 of the width, and another one for a third of the height of the remaining third of the screen. When touching the still active part, some of the response is from one end of the screen, some from the other, none from the centre.

Also it reverses up/down movement, so all in all, it's impossible to use without a mouse...

If I plug a mouse in, it all works as it should.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Will.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This might be a tough one, you have flash many images no way to tell what has been damaged on your tablet.
First option can you return the tablet? If you can do that. If not you will need to factory reset flash a boot.img
Reboot test if touch screen not working repeat with other boot.img continue until touch screen responds.

Willd

Jun 2, 2012
Hi Vampirefo,

It appears to my limited knowledge that the original 8042 image changed a file or setting for the touchscreen that no 7042 image corrects or overwrites. I could return it, but personally that's not an option, since effectively I "broke" the tablet by doing something it wasn't designed nor "allowed" to do. So I shall persevere, until hopefully it is sorted...

Thanks for you comments,

Will.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
I posted about this problem on another site, and the guy who was kind enough to offer some help was too technical for my abilities, so I'm hoping someone here may have the answer to my stupidity in language I can understand... So here is a summary of what I did:-

I didn't realise initially what I'd done, but the homescreen didn't fit on the screen, and the touchscreen was way out, the active area bearing absolutely no relation to where it was touched.

After a little head scratching I realised what I'd done, and subsequently reflashed - with the "proper" image - "coby_ 7042_4.0.3_0.1.img" then coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.img", then back to its non modified original image - "coby_7042_4.0.3.img".

In all cases, everything is now working, with the exception of the touchscreen, which is completely unusable - the touchscreen behaviour is quite bizarre - I enabled the touch position confirmation utility in developer tools on the tablet, and I'd struggle to explain quite what it does without posting video (which I don't have!), but:-

In landscape mode, there is effectively a dead area across the screen, for about 2/3 of the width, and another one for a third of the height of the remaining third of the screen. When touching the still active part, some of the response is from one end of the screen, some from the other, none from the centre.

Also it reverses up/down movement, so all in all, it's impossible to use without a mouse...

Regards,

Will.

Hi i know this issue, you have a ft5x touch panel, the 8042 rom replaced the touch controller firmware, i know how to fix this, i will be posting a rom you can flash to fix this problem.

UPDATE: UPLOADING ROM TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, WILL POST WHEN UPLOADED.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If you install the cwm recovery I uploaded then install, the 7042_boot1.zip you should be fine, if for some reason 7042_boot1.zip.doesn't work install 7042_boot.zip touch screen is in the boot.img.and bootloader.img. If you want market flash one of my custom roms . 7042_update.zip or 7042_update1.zip if the boot.img that works for you has a 1 in the title use the 7042 update with a 1 in the title. 7042_boot1.zip goes with 7042_update1.zip ,
7042_boot.zip goes with 7042_update.zip only difference is touch screens.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

Last edited:

sokar311

May 16, 2012

Regards,

Will.

Sorry for the long time, i forgot, anyway here's the link for the ROM, in case you have'nt resolved your issue yet.

Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: