Coby 7048

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Busybox is required for the system dump, and the version on your 8048 apparently doesn't have compression included, meaning that the system.tgz file which makes up the bulk of the dump will not be created. Busybox will have to be replaced with the version Vampirefo provided.

Don't blame us. That's how Coby rolls. ;)

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
I have downloaded the new su provided and the new busy box in the 7048 thread but I just can't seem to get adb to stay up. I can get the root/restore
Window to pull up just fine but I turned off the USC like you said and debugging is on. I don't know what else I can do to bring it up. Any advice?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've not encountered this problem you describe with ADB running on Windows 7 x64 or Windows XP. Thus I'm inclined to believe there is an issue with your computer.

If you have the tablet connected via a USB hub, unplug it from the hub and plug it directly into the computer. Temporarily disable both antivirus and firewall and then try running ADB to see what happens.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Other than the fact PC Magazine calls Vista Basic "pointless", there's nothing I can think of that should prevent ADB from working. Unless the OS is corrupted, the only other source of your issues I can think of is hardware.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
Yea it just opens flashes a bunch of lines and closes. I'm gonna try d/l adb again and see if that works I can't think of anything either.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
ok traveller, i found my problem or i think im just clicking on the adb.exe that came in the coby adb zip. what i really need to do and im not sure of any different windows version is open a command propmt with windows and open the adb with the directory that i put the adb.exe under. like i said im a newb when it comes to adb so i dont really know how to do that. i can open the command prompt and try imputing in the directory but it just says invalid directory maybe you can help me out with that and tell me what i have to do to open the shell from that point so i can imput vampires instructions for superuser and the new busybox. this is exactly what the top of my window says maybe im putting it in wrong......Computer>OS(C:)>Program Files>coby adb(the folder its in) and the adb file is there. can you please be kindly enough to tell me what i need to put in the command prompt to open adb. the root utility is picking up my device so i know it connected right. and antivirus and firewall are booth off too. P.S i dont know why it keeps putting that smiley in place of my colon and the othere half of my parentheses. maybe it thinks im trying to make one lol

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
See? Now we're getting somewhere.

Unzip CobyADB.zip to the root of C: drive rather than Program Files, as ADB can get tripped up by a directory with spaces in it. Navigate to the directory using the "cd" command. The default command prompt should be C:\Users\YourName. So you will need to execute the following command in the prompt twice: "cd..". The two periods tells the cd command to move up one level in the directory tree. Doing that command enough times will get you to the root of C. From there, use the cd command again. Type "cd C:\CobyADB" and press Enter. You should now be in the CobyADB directory. Type "adb shell" and press Enter. From there you should be able to execute Vampirefo's commands.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
ok stuck again, i have the new busybox file in the data folder under adb. the folder is in the root of c: just like adb but im getting the following commands.

C:/>adb shell
shell@android:/$ adb push su /data/local/temp/Superuser.apk
adb push su /data/local/temp/Superuser.apk
*daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5038 *
*deamon started sucessfully*
error:device not found
adb push busybox /data/local/temp/busybox

am i doing something wrong? the superuser.apk the su file,install-sup, and the busybox file are both in the same folder in data for the adb. do i have all the files and are they in the right place?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
ok stuck again, i have the new busybox file in the data folder under adb. the folder is in the root of c: just like adb but im getting the following commands.

am i doing something wrong? the superuser.apk the su file,install-sup, and the busybox file are both in the same folder in data for the adb. do i have all the files and are they in the right place?

seems you don't follow instructions very well so I will repost them below, now look at what you typed then look at what I told you to type, surely you can see the difference.

Why do you need superuser app?

download su_app.zip

extract

adb push su /data/local/tmp/su

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

adb push install-sup /data/local/tmp/install-sup

adb shell

su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

/data/local/tmp/install-sup

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Ok I will point out what you did wrong, first of all you typed adb shell, even though the instructions said adb push four times before the adb shell command should be used.
so right off the bat you typed the wrong command.

so do the 4 adb push commands before you do the adb shell command.

second of all you typed "adb push su /data/local/temp/Superuser.apk" you are renaming the su binary to Superuser.apk and on top of that you are placing it in "/data/local/temp" when it should go to /data/local/tmp

you should have typed adb push su /data/local/tmp/su not "adb push su /data/local/temp/Superuser.apk" when you adb push don't change the name of the file you are pushing, adb push is basically copy.

adb push su /data/local/tmp/su command just tells android that you want to copy su binary from your computer to /data/local/tmp, you can indeed rename a file via adb example adb push su /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk but the file will now no longer work. Android will treat it like its an app, but seeing its not an app adroid can't open it.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
guys stuck again all went well but....

C:\>adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
699 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.031s)

C:\>adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
2200 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.374s)

C:\>adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
2408 KB/s (1462000 bytes in 0.592s)

C:\>adb push install-sup /data/local/tmp/install-sup
22 KB/s (366 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|shell@android:/ $ su
su
127|shell@android:/ $ chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/install-sup
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
cp: can't create '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[7]: busybox: not found
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[9]: busybox: not found
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or direc
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
reboot: Operation not permitted
1|shell@android:/ $

Am i not rooted the utility said sucessful.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
guys stuck again all went well but....

C:\>adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
699 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.031s)

C:\>adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
2200 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.374s)

C:\>adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
2408 KB/s (1462000 bytes in 0.592s)

C:\>adb push install-sup /data/local/tmp/install-sup
22 KB/s (366 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
127|shell@android:/ $ su
su
127|shell@android:/ $ chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/install-sup
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
cp: can't create '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[7]: busybox: not found
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[9]: busybox: not found
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or direc
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
reboot: Operation not permitted
1|shell@android:/ $

Am i not rooted the utility said sucessful.

ok you are not rooted

you can be the first to try this root method.

download rootme.zip

extract

adb push rootme /data/local/tmp/

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/rootutility

adb shell /data/local/tmp/rootutility

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

adb shell

Last edited:

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
thats wierd the utility said sucessful but ok lol. so how do i go about doing that? you must of just edited that post lol but i will try it now and see. if it works then do i follw it with the othere commands i just tried.

Last edited: