5 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
2104 KB/s (2680802 bytes in 1.244s)

C:\>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/rootutility

C:\>adb shell /data/local/tmp/rootutility

C:\>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

C:\>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/install-sup
/data/local/tmp/install-sup
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
cp: can't create '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[7]: busybox: not found
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[9]: busybox: not found
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
You should reboot now
shell@android:/ $

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
well this is what i got....

C:\>adb push rootme /data/local/tmp/
push: rootme/Superuser.apk -> /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
push: rootme/su -> /data/local/tmp/su
push: rootme/rootutility -> /data/local/tmp/rootutility
push: rootme/install-sup -> /data/local/tmp/install-sup
push: rootme/busybox -> /data/local/tmp/busybox
5 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
2104 KB/s (2680802 bytes in 1.244s)

C:\>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/rootutility

C:\>adb shell /data/local/tmp/rootutility

C:\>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

C:\>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ /data/local/tmp/install-sup
/data/local/tmp/install-sup
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
cp: can't create '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[7]: busybox: not found
/data/local/tmp/install-sup[9]: busybox: not found
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
You should reboot now
shell@android:/ $

ok it didn't work.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I guess coby could have made different versions on 7048, there are no more ways that I know of to root the device, I don't own one so can't try or use force kernel attacks on it to find a weakness.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@pmb1903: The root utility is a batch file. All a batch file does is run a string of commands without you having to type them. It's going to tell you the process was successful regardless of which device you attach to your computer because it doesn't check for device compatibility. All it knows is to execute command A, then B, all the way to Z.

The root utility was assembled some months prior to the introduction of your unit, when there were only six units available (7042, 8042, 9042, 9742, 1042, 1045). It wasn't until September that the 7033 and 7035 were supported in the root utility, when a means to root those devices were found. At this moment we're in uncharted territory with the new tablets. We're sure the root utility doesn't work on your tablet, and it likely will not work on the other new tablets either.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
@vampire I will try the ad root when I arrive home and post the results. Anyways guys how's your holiday? I ate so much all I want to do is sleep lol but I bet that's all of us today.

Well I've rooted countless phones and countless brands and I've never came across a device that didn't have a process or a least a work around to get the job done. But I guess there's a first time for everything huh. Well then again I'm not a dev so I obviously can't do or try the things that you all can. I guess it'll be the same for the mid7036 I have to. The bad thing is I can't even make a system dump so we can try or dev a process. I guess I'll stick to side loading for now. But I will post results as soon as I arrive at home

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
ok when i typed adb root this is what i got....adbd cannot run as root in production builds.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
ok when i typed adb root this is what i got....adbd cannot run as root in production builds.

Ok thanks, my guess from your posts and from completely tearing apart 3 tools that claim to root this device, as well as Craig CMP741e, they are fake apps, meaning they don't really hack ICS devices, they simply install Superuser.apk and su on ICS devices, that are already kernel rooted. heck the unlockroot23.exe tricked me into thinking it was a ICS hack tool, I didn't have a coby 7048 to test it on, I did have a few gingerbread phones the app was able to hack. However after more reading and understanding the app, I see it is a fake app as well.

If the device is gingerbread the hack tool will hack it, well only some devices that have gingerbread, as far as ICS devices,the app just issues, adb root, if the result is yes, then it issues adb remount, then pushes Superuser.apk and su on tablets

Last edited:

Tesardd

Nov 12, 2012
The information Vampirefo provided here:

have you tried rooting instruction below.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/08/...droid-mini-pc/

How To Root CX-01 Android mini PC
August 1st, 2012 cnxsoft 33 comments

CX-01 is a cool low cost Android mini PC (as low as $40), but unlike many other Chinese Android device it is not rooted.

Here are the instructions to root it:

Download Unlock Root http://www.unlockroot.com/. NB: The download link does not appear to work right now, but the filename is unlockroot23.exe, so here are some alternative untested download links.
Find Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf in the directory where you install Unlockroot
Open the file in a text editor, and add the following lines:
For Win 7 (64-bit):
[Google.NTamd64] 64-bit]
;TCC8920
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
For WinXP (32-bit):
[Google.NTx86]
;TCC8920
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
Connect CX-01 to your PC via USB, it should then detect your new device. If it doesn’t simply press “fn” key on CX-01 TV Stick.
Select the driver that you edited in Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf
Once the driver is installed, run unlockroot
Press ROOT, then reroot device.
Reboot CX-01 mini PC
Done!

Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/tele...#ixzz2C3oQKnT5

As Traveller1701 pointed out, I used the "alternative links" to skip the extra garbage that they wanted to try to install.

Seemed to help me root my 7048. I did gain root access as indicated by the change in command prompt from $ to # and the ability to perform previously denied functions. However, during the process of trying to install busybox and reset file permissions, my 7048 no longer wil boot. It hangs up at the android logo screen.
I tried to restore from backup and all that seemed to do was remove my root access making it harder to restore the tablet. So I am a little stuck right now but still working on it.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I posted a link in the Development Index sticky that I would like you to try, if you can get your tablet restored to functioning condition. Supposedly the user has gotten his 7048 rooted using it, and it's not a spyware magnet like the unlocker program. It's a batch file.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
Since your is not booting up wi dont think im gonna be willing to try that particular method at this point even though i am pretty desperate to get this thing rooted and have gapps.but patience is a virtue. great things will come in due time. is there not any other way to try besides the one posted above by tesardd?

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
i wish i could just make a system dump without having root. is there a way to make it with adb command? i will try anything to provide you guys with a system dump so you can at least see what were dealing with