Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I mean I dont have a file to turn the tablet back to stock. unrooted and with out gapps The link for unroot_telechips_signed.zip is invalid.

when do you suggest I try factory reset after I get the errors or before I install the file from this thread?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Factory reset after you get error, if no errors then no need for factory reset.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
First thing I do with any tablet is dump the firmware then reinstall it. Most of the time factory tablet doesn't have correct permissions set, so one might get an error from time to time.
A factory reset writes correct permissions, so it is always recommended to factory reset if an error happens.

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I am still fighting with this, the unroot file I downloaded was only 127 KB not a full stock CW recovery file like the one I am using to get back to a working tablet. The CW recovery file I have I made after installing the root gapps file from the other thread with out the compatibilty fixes not a fresh new tablet. Is there a link to a full cw recovery file with boot.img, data recovery,systems from a fresh stock tablet.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am still fighting with this, the unroot file I downloaded was only 127 KB not a full stock CW recovery file like the one I am using to get back to a working tablet. The CW recovery file I have I made after installing the root gapps file from the other thread with out the compatibilty fixes not a fresh new tablet. Is there a link to a full cw recovery file with boot.img, data recovery,systems from a fresh stock tablet.

I have no ideal what you are doing, the unroot script does exactly that removes the root and gapps files.
if all you have done is rooted and added gapps then running unroot script removes that.

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I am booting into recovery and installing the zip from a sd card. I have your recovery installed from the OP of this thread. I also used recovery to install the root gapps zip from this thread. BTW I just noticed the system update in settings/abouttablet/system update now just sends me to a screen that says Your system is currently up to date with a check now button.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am booting into recovery and installing the zip from a sd card. I have your recovery installed from the OP of this thread. I also used recovery to install the root gapps zip from this thread. BTW I just noticed the system update in settings/abouttablet/system update now just sends me to a screen that says Your system is currently up to date with a check now button.

Yes you updated your system, so that is correct,

did you do a factory reset?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You restore your backup, factory reset, flash the unroot.zip, at this point you are stock, Now make another backup and you have a stock backup.

at this point install 8048_root_gapps_signed.zip.

So lets get the steps in order.

boot into recovery

restore backup

install unroot_telechips_signed.zip

wipe data/factory reset

backup

install 8048_root_gapps_signed.zip

reboot system now

If you still have crash then your 8048 is different than mine.

Last edited:

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
You restore your backup, factory reset, flash the unroot.zip, at this point you are stock, Now make another backup and you have a stock backup.

at this point install 8048_root_gapps_signed.zip.

So lets get the steps in order.

boot into recovery

restore backup

install unroot_telechips_signed.zip

wipe data/factory reset

backup

install 8048_root_gapps_signed.zip

reboot system now

If you still have crash then your 8048 is different than mine.

First let me say you have been great. Thanks for all the assistance. I have not tried it yet but will ASAP. I see a differance I was rebooting after each step where I could.

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
I dont know what the differances are between the root gapps from this thread and the other one but the one from this thread keeps giving me the errors launcher stopped working... as well as other things that have stopped also. ( process com.google.process.gapps, setup wizzard, all stopped) I tried doing the factory reset after the errors and then the tablet just hung at android screen. I installed the file from this thread both as update through the settings screen and through recovery. I also tried fixing permissions after installing root gapps signed.
I see there are error logs that can be saved would any of that help here?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Several differences, my guess your tablet is different than mine, will upload a more generic version sometime today.

betadata

Dec 21, 2012
it is possible to add the compatability fixes to the root gapps from the other thread? That file works fine just would like access to more apps on playstore