Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
CWM-based Recovery v6.0.1.1 for Coby 8048 by Vampirefo says: Error mounting /Nand!

I can comunicate via asb and I´m root but I don´t know how to continue.....

if you can't format nand then nothing I can do.

sunshine_n_pc

Dec 26, 2012
Got my daughter a Coby 8048 for Christmas - was able to install this .....stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip last night. Major improvement, things ran great.

Got up this morning to unresponsive screen. Was able to reset and it is working again.

But, in looking back, I am wondering if maybe tablet was defective all along but I thought going through this process would fix. These are main issues:
1. SLOWWWW to charge - have had it on wall charger for 4 hours and it is still only at 40% - this has been problem all along
2. couldn't even load apps reliably from GetJar and YouTube wouldn't work reliably. We are loading apps fine now after installing root and gapp
3. Sound is horrible - very low, can hardly hear it - continues to be a problem.
4. It is sucking down the battery - I don't expect a long use on battery - but it is sucking down the battery in just an hour or two max - at this point it will take 12 hours to charge it.
5. was never able to do system update prior to root and gapp install - it has updated on its own since install

So, bottom line - does this sound right, did I miss something, or perhaps is this all indicative of a defective until to start with?

CeCe

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Got my daughter a Coby 8048 for Christmas - was able to install this .....stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip last night. Major improvement, things ran great.

Got up this morning to unresponsive screen. Was able to reset and it is working again.

But, in looking back, I am wondering if maybe tablet was defective all along but I thought going through this process would fix. These are main issues:
1. SLOWWWW to charge - have had it on wall charger for 4 hours and it is still only at 40% - this has been problem all along
2. couldn't even load apps reliably from GetJar and YouTube wouldn't work reliably. We are loading apps fine now after installing root and gapp
3. Sound is horrible - very low, can hardly hear it - continues to be a problem.
4. It is sucking down the battery - I don't expect a long use on battery - but it is sucking down the battery in just an hour or two max - at this point it will take 12 hours to charge it.
5. was never able to do system update prior to root and gapp install - it has updated on its own since install

So, bottom line - does this sound right, did I miss something, or perhaps is this all indicative of a defective until to start with?

CeCe

Doesn't sound normal, return or exchange it if you can.I returned my 8048 and d2pad for a lenovo a2109.

The sound is very low, battery life about 4 hours, the other problems you list I didn't have on my 8048.

sunshine_n_pc

Dec 26, 2012
Funny - we actually bought the lenovo a2109 for our other daughter - found it after we'd bought the coby.

To return it I will need to return it to stock - how exactly do I do that :)

acidburn23

Dec 3, 2012
Vampire i'm done to back up my system via CWM then the files saves in ext_SD then if theres a problem i can restore it again thru CWM? thanks :)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Vampire i'm done to back up my system via CWM then the files saves in ext_SD then if theres a problem i can restore it again thru CWM? thanks :)

if you make a back with cw recovery, then yes you can use cw recovery to restore your backup.

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Nov 26, 2012
vampirefo i understand you no longer have the 8048 and now we are officially past christmas my son has unboxed his i am working onbuilding the latest aosp from source but need some help... im currently trying to build the device tree but cant get past build errors... can we work together or are you no longer concerned with the 8048

acidburn23

Dec 3, 2012
i'm done to install the custom rom its working smooth then i'm disappointed in screen rotation? and the volume up and down is on the screen i don't like it hehe restoring again in my First Rom xD

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
vampirefo i understand you no longer have the 8048 and now we are officially past christmas my son has unboxed his i am working onbuilding the latest aosp from source but need some help... im currently trying to build the device tree but cant get past build errors... can we work together or are you no longer concerned with the 8048

I really have no interest in the 8048, I can give you my recovery files, if that helps.

They are below, most people wont know what to do with them, I know you do. good luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/?59wrzgtt45csutn

Last edited:

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Nov 26, 2012
I really have no interest in the 8048, I can give you my recovery files, if that helps.

They are below, most people wont know what to do with them, I know you do. good luck.

8048_recovery_files.zip

thanks mate I really appreciate it... but I could still use your expertise is their anyway I can pick your brain if I need to... when all google fails... and preferably a better avenue than this if at all possible
still very novice myself but trying to learn as fast as I can.

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Nov 26, 2012
Vamp mate i need some help... was able to make bacon from cyan source but cant seem to merge /hardware/omx into build so it only ends up 98mb and wont boot

ladiferencia

Dec 31, 2012
Hello. I have installed this ROM and it works great. Changed the LCD density to 160 and I'm loving the look and feel if the tablets. (I have two for daughters) I replaced wpa supplicant file and can see ad hoc wifi networks (free portable wifi from my phone!) The only thing that's not working is YouTube and Netflix produce picture but no sounds. I tried with different LCD densities including 120 which I think is the original. I reinstalled the apps. I even tried old hacked Netflix apks. Nothing had worked. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok I realized the camera on this ROM isn't working :( deal breaker so I went back to stock. Netflix and that YouTube are working again so I have to conclude that it has to do with the 4.0.4 update. I've read a couple of similar cases around the web. I haven't messed with LCD density this time around but I'll get to it eventually and let all know. What I kept though is the wpa supplicant which allows me to tether with barnacle. Of course I remain interested in any development done to this ROM or the 8048 in general.

Last edited:

imrj

Mar 6, 2013
The Rom has been confirmed to also work on 7048, tester also stated this Rom allows his 7048 to now charge via USB. The 7048 stock Rom didn't allow charging via USB.

Hi i'm new here. I just installed the custom rom on my 7048 and it looks great, but wifi will no longer work. it will not turn on just a message that says turning on wifi but the message never goes away and wifi never turns on.
Did i do something wrong or does wifi not work on this custom rom ? I know it is for the 8048 not the 7048 any help would be appreciated

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi i'm new here. I just installed the custom rom on my 7048 and it looks great, but wifi will no longer work. it will not turn on just a message that says turning on wifi but the message never goes away and wifi never turns on.
Did i do something wrong or does wifi not work on this custom rom ? I know it is for the 8048 not the 7048 any help would be appreciated

I no longer work on this model, my guess would be you need to switch out the wifi drivers from 7048.