Coby 8048 Recovery, Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This isn't good, WiFi can be different from tablet to tablet, Coby used many different WiFi drivers.
Had you made a backup, we could have got your WiFi working by switching the drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

craw405

Oct 28, 2013
Do you know if there is a different ROM for these chips that may work? Or if there is a way to try different wi-fi drivers? Im guessing this has to be configured at the programming level instead of some type of install?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No I don't know of any other Rom, most people just don't backup their firmware.
You can look in the dump request thread and see if anyone uploaded a dump.

There is a possible fix, flashing another kernel your stock kernel may not be able to load the WiFi module in this Rom.
May or May not work, but there is a chance your kernel is different.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

Last edited:

kgb999

Oct 18, 2013
I see that this is an unsupported patch ... and I'm running it on an unsupported device even. But I was hoping someone might have insight into a problem I'm running up against.

The device is a MID7046, originally configured using the resources on this thread. That resource worked well, but the play store didn't list some stuff due to compatibility issues; specifically the game that led to all this in the first place. So I went ahead and installed this patch, and it certainly seemed to work. The desired game appeared for purchase. The problem now is with games that explicitly want to install on the sdcard - they report unable to install on USB or SD.

From the logs, it looks like the problems arise somewhere in a sequence that starts:

01-27 17:33:32.940: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec create smdl2tmp1 21 fat {} 10039

The process proceeds to format a volume raising few sanity complaints, and then the log shows this sequence:

01-27 17:33:46.950: W/MountService(991): mountPoint =/mnt/sdcard
01-27 17:33:46.950: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec path smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:46.950: W/Vold(866): getAsecMountPath: /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:46.950: I/DefContainer(2092): Created container for smdl2tmp1 at path : /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:47.520: E/DefContainer(2092): Failed to copy /data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache/downloadfile.apk to /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1/pkg.apk
01-27 17:33:47.600: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec destroy smdl2tmp1 force
01-27 17:33:47.780: W/ActivityManager(991): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache/downloadfile.apk

Something about Linux that confuses. It seems like /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1 is created; but seemingly as a new volume rather than a directory? For some reason the install file can not be copied to it. It looks like *some* sort of permission issue, but I can't out what exactly is happening.

Anyone have any thoughts on a direction to go in trying to attack this?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I see that this is an unsupported patch ... and I'm running it on an unsupported device even. But I was hoping someone might have insight into a problem I'm running up against.

The device is a MID7046, originally configured using the resources on this thread. That resource worked well, but the play store didn't list some stuff due to compatibility issues; specifically the game that led to all this in the first place. So I went ahead and installed this patch, and it certainly seemed to work. The desired game appeared for purchase. The problem now is with games that explicitly want to install on the sdcard - they report unable to install on USB or SD.

From the logs, it looks like the problems arise somewhere in a sequence that starts:

01-27 17:33:32.940: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec create smdl2tmp1 21 fat {} 10039

The process proceeds to format a volume raising few sanity complaints, and then the log shows this sequence:

01-27 17:33:46.950: W/MountService(991): mountPoint =/mnt/sdcard
01-27 17:33:46.950: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec path smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:46.950: W/Vold(866): getAsecMountPath: /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:46.950: I/DefContainer(2092): Created container for smdl2tmp1 at path : /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1
01-27 17:33:47.520: E/DefContainer(2092): Failed to copy /data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache/downloadfile.apk to /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1/pkg.apk
01-27 17:33:47.600: D/VoldCmdListener(866): asec destroy smdl2tmp1 force
01-27 17:33:47.780: W/ActivityManager(991): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache/downloadfile.apk

Something about Linux that confuses. It seems like /mnt/asec/smdl2tmp1 is created; but seemingly as a new volume rather than a directory? For some reason the install file can not be copied to it. It looks like *some* sort of permission issue, but I can't out what exactly is happening.

Anyone have any thoughts on a direction to go in trying to attack this?

Looks like a paid app not getting correct permissions, I don't provide support on apps, talk to the author of the app.

Make sure you can read and write to sdcard, then make sure you have a valid license for the app.

Last edited:

mikeataol

Mar 5, 2014
okay

so I was like some others, I had an 8048 that refused to mount the internal sd card
I said okay , ill look for the stock or a custom rom
I got the stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip above
looked great , but

like others I had no wifi when it flashed

lucky for me I had another unmodified 8048 (I rooted THIS one with SRS root, not the flash from this thread)
I tried using the utilites on the site , but long story short

I didnt end up installing cwm on either one, but through adb shell commands, backup up system on good unit, and overlaid it on mucked up unit
lots of force closes as the system directory was being replaced, but after replacing the /system, rebooted into recovery, did a factory reset, unit rebooted (long first reboot) and seems to run fine, with root, gapps and wifi, and a mounted internal SD.

there is a copy of Coby8048 system.tgz from the clean unit here: Coby8048system (totally stock except it has the root applied by SRS Root)

since I had so much trouble getting a stock rom, and none had been posted here,
just giving this back in case it helps someone out

(really, I tried to use the dump utility but the mount points look totally different and the only data created was the system.tgz)

perhaps someone can do a diff on the two directories and pinpoint why wifi isnt working after the stock & gapps flash

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If this is just the system.tgz file, the dump is not going to be all that useful. Stock boot.img, bootloader.img, and recovery.img also need to be included.

mikeataol

Mar 5, 2014
as I mentioned, the dump utility is looking for mount points that dont seem to exist on these units

I didnt research it in great detail, just took the pragmatic approach.

the utitlity appears to be looking for nandxxx mounts, these have mtdblkxxx mounts

it was enough for me to get back to a working unit with a mounting internal SD card, I did end up running the remove gapps script as well,
I started getting process.android.media force closes after a while.

app_45@android:/ # cd /dev
app_45@android:/dev # cd block
app_45@android:/dev/block # ls
loop0
loop1
loop2
loop3
loop4
loop5
loop6
loop7
mtdblock0
mtdblock1
mtdblock2
mtdblock3
mtdblock4
mtdblock5
mtdblock6
mtdblock7
mtdblock8
ndda
ndda1
vold

from the utility
Echo º Dumping bootloader. ºÛ
Echo º ºÛ
Echo ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼÛ
Echo ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
Echo.
Echo.
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img" > NUL
@ping localhost -n 5 > NUL
ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ[Coby Gen. 3]-Root UtilityÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo º ºÛ
Echo º Dumping boot image. ºÛ
Echo º ºÛ
Echo.
Echo.
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img" > NUL
Echo º Dumping recovery image. ºÛ
Echo º ºÛ
Echo.
Echo.
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img" > NUL

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You'll need to manually enter the commands once you find the mount points. The dump utility is geared towards the first crop of Generation 3 tablets and Coby changed the system layout for the 9740 and later units.

AGh44

Mar 17, 2014
I will need some help as well please!My Coby Kyros Mid8048 get locked as well.Actually my kid use to many times the pattern so now is shows only Too many pattern attempts and it dosent let me do nothing. It only ask for the email account and password something that i dont remeber.i did download the androit development tool and i am using the adb commands but no luck my device keeps telling me that access denied.when i use the adb devices is shows me that is connected and recognize the device.list of devices attached 00001211131249170690 device.Please give me some steps how i can process to unlock my tablet
Thank you

Jack Dawlen

Oct 19, 2014
NOTE THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN DROPPED, DUE TO NO FUNDING FOR TABLET, I DON'T HAVE A TELECHIPS TABLETS SO NO WAY I CAN WORK ON THEM.

Here is my Recovery for 8048

8048_recovery_signed.zip

The recovery is signed so you can flash it via stock recovery. You can just boot into recovery then use stock recovery to navigate to 8048_recovery_signed.zip, or you can rename to update.zip and use the built in update process

Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now

once you install cw recovery boot to system then boot into cw recovery and make a backup.

Now you are good to go if you want to test My rom or just the updated playstore compatibility fix.

This is compatibility fix also signed could be installed on stock recovery, if you installed cw recovery just install via recovery.
This is generic so should work on all telechips, make sure you have backup though.

8048t1_root_gapps_signed.zip

Below is stock rom with root and gaps.

stock_8048_root_gapps_signed.zip
THis stock ROM is bad....when you flash it, your devices will lost wifi driver..just install Gapps....DO NOT FLASH ROM....

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
THis stock ROM is bad....when you flash it, your devices will lost wifi driver..just install Gapps....DO NOT FLASH ROM....
The rom is fine, Coby made several versions of this tablet, each version is different.
This rom works on the version it was pulled from.

sent from my kingSing T1 via taptalk

Jack Dawlen

Oct 19, 2014
The rom is fine, Coby made several versions of this tablet, each version is different.
This rom works on the version it was pulled from.

sent from my kingSing T1 via taptalk
if someone dont know this problem....you are a destructor of their tablet....