Coby Kyros 10.1" with Android 2.2

jayslater

Oct 18, 2011
Hello

This is my first time visiting the forums. I am expecting my new Coby 10.1" Tablet to be delivered tomorrow. This will be my 1st experience with a tablet, let alone one without a Google base installed.
What should I expect?
Any tips I should take into account immediately?
Thanks in advance
Jay

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Jay,

First off, Good tablet. Glad you came here. I have had mine two weeks. many of the other guys here a bit longer but they are pretty decent devices for the money. I have a little android experience (rooting my phone etc) so when I got mine, I knew a little of what to expect. that said, It was an OK device out of the box. it was a bit glitchy and frankly was lacking. Immediately I rooted mine and got the android market on it. that was good, now I had access to all my goodies, but after reading the technical threads here, it wasnt good enough for me. SSSSOOOOO... I helped (just in testing stuff) one of the guys here Lfom in writing some custom firmwares (operating systems) for the Kyros. we had a very fast running Froyo operating system on it and it was really nice. Very Stable, Decent on the battery, but we saw that other Kyros were running Gingerbread. so Lfom found a way to bring Gingerbread to the Kyros MID1024. It was really just released this past weekend and I can tell you, it makes my Kyros rock. it is VERY easy to install the new OS, but you need to have an external Micro SD to do it. I used my 16gb one I bought for my kyros.

With the Gingerbread roms, you can do the Google market, Skype, netflix, and all the other goodies you want. It was so worth the nervousness of upgrading the firmware. best part, is that the Instructions on the Coby site for updating their firmware are easy to follow and run the same as putting on a custom one.

here is how:

1. find the ROM you want from the Gen 2 technical pages (or the Developer pages when they are made) here on this forum.
2. download it and save to your computer.
3. Unzip the download
4. copy the files inside the zip to a blank micro sd card
5. Insert the card into your Kyros with it powered off
6. Hold the home (silver) button and then push the power button. when you see teh Coby Logo, let go of all teh buttons and let it do the magic.
7. It will turn off once but will come on an copy more files. then turn off. Under 5 minutes
8. turn it back on and it will be updated to whatever you put on it.

9. ENJOY YOUR KYROS

I have done this process no less than 10 times and it has worked flawlessly every time. the latest Gingerbread rom we are using is very stable, and works flawlessly. you can even change the look to make it feel like honeycomb. I dont like the navigation on honeycomb so I am using the stock gingerbread look.

so, Go read and good luck!

jayslater

Oct 18, 2011
Jay,

First off, Good tablet. Glad you came here. I have had mine two weeks. many of the other guys here a bit longer but they are pretty decent devices for the money. I have a little android experience (rooting my phone etc) so when I got mine, I knew a little of what to expect. that said, It was an OK device out of the box. it was a bit glitchy and frankly was lacking. Immediately I rooted mine and got the android market on it. that was good, now I had access to all my goodies, but after reading the technical threads here, it wasnt good enough for me. SSSSOOOOO... I helped (just in testing stuff) one of the guys here Lfom in writing some custom firmwares (operating systems) for the Kyros. we had a very fast running Froyo operating system on it and it was really nice. Very Stable, Decent on the battery, but we saw that other Kyros were running Gingerbread. so Lfom found a way to bring Gingerbread to the Kyros MID1024. It was really just released this past weekend and I can tell you, it makes my Kyros rock. it is VERY easy to install the new OS, but you need to have an external Micro SD to do it. I used my 16gb one I bought for my kyros.

With the Gingerbread roms, you can do the Google market, Skype, netflix, and all the other goodies you want. It was so worth the nervousness of upgrading the firmware. best part, is that the Instructions on the Coby site for updating their firmware are easy to follow and run the same as putting on a custom one.

here is how:

1. find the ROM you want from the Gen 2 technical pages (or the Developer pages when they are made) here on this forum.
2. download it and save to your computer.
3. Unzip the download
4. copy the files inside the zip to a blank micro sd card
5. Insert the card into your Kyros with it powered off
6. Hold the home (silver) button and then push the power button. when you see teh Coby Logo, let go of all teh buttons and let it do the magic.
7. It will turn off once but will come on an copy more files. then turn off. Under 5 minutes
8. turn it back on and it will be updated to whatever you put on it.

9. ENJOY YOUR KYROS

I have done this process no less than 10 times and it has worked flawlessly every time. the latest Gingerbread rom we are using is very stable, and works flawlessly. you can even change the look to make it feel like honeycomb. I dont like the navigation on honeycomb so I am using the stock gingerbread look.

so, Go read and good luck!

Thank you for the quick response. I have to admit, I am really nervous about trying to "root" my device as soon as it arrives. I have never done anything like that and have to admit I am not sure what Honeycomb and Gingerbread really mean. I have an HTC Incredible from Verizon and when it arrived 6 months ago, all I had to do was turn it on. This tablet seems like it will be a lot more tricky. I do have a 2gb Micro SD card so I guess I can give it a try when it arrives, but still very anxious about trying it.

Jay

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
It's a very good tablet, when it works... I suggest that you don't anything that voids its warranty in the first couple of weeks at least. You can install Market without rooting and download apks from reliable sources like GetJar.com or FreewareLovers.com. A known bug is that it shuts down or freeze when sleeping for some time. Enabling WiFi all the time with an utility like WiFi Buddy seems to help but your battery will run out faster. A restart once in a while is kinda normal unfortunately (specially if using too many heavy apps/games), but if it does anything that it shouldn't like frequent restarts or missing files/preferences then probably you got a defective unit and is advised to ask for a replacement. It happened with me with my first device.
Welcome and good luck. ;)

jayslater

Oct 18, 2011
It's a very good tablet, when it works... I suggest that you don't anything that voids its warranty in the first couple of weeks at least. You can install Market without rooting and download apks from reliable sources like GetJar.com or FreewareLovers.com. A known bug is that it shuts down or freeze when sleeping for some time. Enabling WiFi all the time with an utility like WiFi Buddy seems to help but your battery will run out faster. A restart once in a while is kinda normal unfortunately (specially if using too many heavy apps/games), but if it does anything that it shouldn't like frequent restarts or missing files/preferences then probably you got a defective unit and is advised to ask for a replacement. It happened with me with my first device.
Welcome and good luck. ;)

Thank you for the good advice! Where do I find "Market" and get it installed?
Jay

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thank you for the good advice! Where do I find "Market" and get it installed?
Jay

It's the official Market from Google. Search for threads about it in the forum.

The one that comes pre-installed (AppsLib) has only a few options that are most useless because they're either a rip-off and/or outdated. For the very basic it should be enough tho.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Also be aware that some kyros1024 have different boards LFom has a thread that discusses 1024n and the 1025 boards and how you can find the difference. That way you dont mess up your device once you decide to upgrade.once you add market and some google apps you will like your tablet a lot more

ScarySpice

Dec 2, 2011
Does Skype actually work on it? I am returning my Pandigital because I am reading video chat does NOT work.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Does Skype actually work on it? I am returning my Pandigital because I am reading video chat does NOT work.

Skype works with stock Android (Froyo), but no video. You need to flash a custom firmware (will void tablet's warranty) with Gingerbread to get video working.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
So if the tablet comes with 2.3 it will skype with video then lfom? Just wondering because the MID1125 has 2.3 I think, so it will skype chat then? Not a deal breaker if it won't, hubby has a nice webcam on his computer and so do I so if we need to skype chat we can already. ;) I just wanted to confirm that with Gingerbread it COULD skype with working sound and video. :)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have a MID1024 and it didn't do video on Skype using stock firmware (Froyo), but it does now using my CFW with Gingerbread, so it will probably work with 1125. But the only way to be sure is testing.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I'll be happy to test the theory once we get ours in a few weeks. The way prices are coming down though we might jump on one before Christmas. :D

JReshae

Dec 25, 2011
I recently received a coby kyro mid1024 and when tapping the settings icon it does nothing. I can't do anything without opening the settings. Please help. -Thanks