Coby Kyros 1024 running great w/o root

hellafastrt

Sep 12, 2011
I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum. The information I came across here has been incredibly helpful. I thought I might as well give my setup so far for anyone that may have picked up a 1024 on the cheap from Fry's.

1: Installed Android Market by loading the google services framework apk, then android market 2.3.6 apk, restarted the tablet and was able to log right in via wifi. No root necessary.

2: Added Shared Media Folder to ES File Explorer. I have assorted movies hosted on my local network including divx encoded .avi's that I wanted to stream to the tablet.

3. Installed Rockplayer through android market. Now I just navigate through ES File Explorer to my share, click a video and it plays smooth as butter (only tested for 5mins and not HD).

4. Everything else installed without issue (amazon appstore, swiftkey, dolphin, assorted games, classic books through aldiko, etc).

5. Whats next? Video conferencing? Google+ video chat support for Froyo would be awesome but Skype might have to do.

My only real complaint so far is the poor resolution compared to the size of the screen. It gets the job done and is exactly what I expected on a 10" capacitive touchscreen tablet for under $200 but it would be nice to have it a little sharper.

It would also be nice to have a 6x6 dashboard, if that's what it's called, instead of 4x4.

I know there's nothing revolutionary here but I've only played with the 1024 for two nights and I'm kinda stoked on my recently aquired toy. If anyone has any suggestions or some awesome mods to recommend I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all the helpful information throughout these forums!

cfirpo99

Sep 11, 2011
can you please provide the files you used. also any specific procedure with the APK's, or just run them. I keep reading that you must install google services framework first, as you said. thanks

hellafastrt

Sep 12, 2011
cfirepo99,

Here's how I did my install.

1. Download market_update0.zip from fileape » download I would like to thank vorta84 for posting the file.

2. Using ES File Explorer go to downloads and extract Market_update0.zip. Then navigate to downloads/Market_update0/system/app and run the googleservicesframework.apk. This is the only file that I used from this zip since it's the wrong market version, I didn't want it to autoupdate and I really have no idea what the rest of the files do.

3. Download com.android.vending-2.3.6.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581572&d=1304069017

4. If it doesn't auto run go ahead and run it manually through ES Explorer or APKinstaller. My market wasn't able to connect when I tried to login at this point but a restart fixed that right up.

Last edited:

cfirpo99

Sep 11, 2011
sounds good thanks. Can I run an APK from any place on the system, or am I supposed to put it in /system/app first and then run it?

I was running APK's from the download dir, but I had trouble with the framework.apk, maybe its because of the order i did it in , or location?

hellafastrt

Sep 12, 2011
I have been running apk's directly from the download or extraction directory. This may be bad practice but it has worked for me so far. As far as reasons why it wouldn't work I'm not sure. Make sure to uninstall any previous attempts before trying again would make sense to me.

Sent from my MID1024 using Android Tablet Forum

cfirpo99

Sep 11, 2011
all right. so i tried to run the APKs straight in /system/app. will not work. the built in apk installer will not see it there. so i just ran them from elsewhere without any problems.

I also ran GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk , and it synced perfectly with the built in calendar.

Thanks. i will leave it alone for as long as possible and test out the current config.

sunyata

Sep 20, 2011
Gingerbread 2.3 upgrade for Coby 1024 ?

hellafastrt

I also bought the Coby 1024 from Frys last week. I have searched for days without success to get the Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware to upgrade the 1024. The upgrade to 2.3 is necessary to run 2-way Skype video with callers on computers. At present, I managed to get the froyo hacked apk to run skype on the 1024, but it only receives the caller's skype video but my 1024 cannot send. I spoke to someone at cobyusa.com and he said Coby will not be supplying the upgrade firmware to 2.3. This is surprising because they have released the 10" Coby 1125 with the 2.3.4 and yet not willing to upgrade the 1024 for the present customers.

batoots

Sep 21, 2011
cfirepo99,

Here's how I did my install.

1. Download market_update0.zip from fileape » download I would like to thank vorta84 for posting the file.

2. Using ES File Explorer go to downloads and extract Market_update0.zip. Then navigate to downloads/Market_update0/system/app and run the googleservicesframework.apk. This is the only file that I used from this zip since it's the wrong market version, I didn't want it to autoupdate and I really have no idea what the rest of the files do.

3. Download com.android.vending-2.3.6.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581572&d=1304069017

4. If it doesn't auto run go ahead and run it manually through ES Explorer or APKinstaller. My market wasn't able to connect when I tried to login at this point but a restart fixed that right up.

Hi there, good thing I found this thread, been trying to figure out how to install Android Market on my 1024.

I tried the steps that you've outlined and to some extent, it did work...I have a problem though, when I tried adding my gmail account, it always says

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care."Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks.

batoots

Sep 21, 2011
Finally, I found the answer....I simply had to enable the background data (I had it disabled to save on battery) and voila, my google account synced and I can access android market...:)

hellafastrt

Sep 12, 2011
Sunyata: I had heard that Coby wasn't going to update to 2.3. On the other hand I was hoping that there would be some custom roms available. We'll see. It sounds like with the release of the firmware there may be a little more development from within the community.

Batoots: I'm glad you were able to get it running.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum. The information I came across here has been incredibly helpful. I thought I might as well give my setup so far for anyone that may have picked up a 1024 on the cheap from Fry's.

1: Installed Android Market by loading the google services framework apk, then android market 2.3.6 apk, restarted the tablet and was able to log right in via wifi. No root necessary.

2: Added Shared Media Folder to ES File Explorer. I have assorted movies hosted on my local network including divx encoded .avi's that I wanted to stream to the tablet.

3. Installed Rockplayer through android market. Now I just navigate through ES File Explorer to my share, click a video and it plays smooth as butter (only tested for 5mins and not HD).

4. Everything else installed without issue (amazon appstore, swiftkey, dolphin, assorted games, classic books through aldiko, etc).

5. Whats next? Video conferencing? Google+ video chat support for Froyo would be awesome but Skype might have to do.

My only real complaint so far is the poor resolution compared to the size of the screen. It gets the job done and is exactly what I expected on a 10" capacitive touchscreen tablet for under $200 but it would be nice to have it a little sharper.

It would also be nice to have a 6x6 dashboard, if that's what it's called, instead of 4x4.

I know there's nothing revolutionary here but I've only played with the 1024 for two nights and I'm kinda stoked on my recently aquired toy. If anyone has any suggestions or some awesome mods to recommend I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all the helpful information throughout these forums!

So after a few tries, a reboot, a redownload, a reload and reboot.....shazam...framework loaded and market up and running. Laded the new flash but still cant get netflux to play, it falls out at the last second. Oh well baby steps.

And you should look at the zeam launcher, it lets you change the dashboard size. Find it on xda forums somewhere

sunyata

Sep 20, 2011
....... Laded the new flash but still cant get netflux to play, it falls out at the last second. Oh well baby steps.

I can stream Netflix movies on my Coby 1024 using this apk:
netflix-devicecheck-disabled.apk
Only one tiny bug; when logging in Netflix it reminds you to update, and you can just click cancel to decline, or else you would get an update which doesn't work. Enjoy!

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
I can stream Netflix movies on my Coby 1024 using this apk: netflix-devicecheck-disabled.apk

When I run this it says no app found

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
Had to uninstall and re install now it works. Any way to get the atop to stop trying to update