Coby Kyros 1042 help

purplegold

Jun 21, 2012
I made the mistake of not having a backup of my firmware, and then used the live method to put a 7042 image on the 1042. FYI, you don't see anything, other than it powering on and off.

It seems to work a bit better with the 9742, as in i can see lines and some apparant action. however it still does not work.

I"ve tried the SSD firmware option, which didn't work.

BTW I used the latest livesuit 1.07 on 64 bit. using the format option.

Does anyone have a 1042 restore firmware they can share, or is there a 1042 mod coming up? I'd be happy to donate.

Thank you.

Prodina

Jul 28, 2012
I did the exact same thing because it said that it worked with all midxx42.
I was wondering if anyone has a stock image that I can restore with LiveSuit for the MID 1024-8.
I have done a lot of searching and have not had any luck with finding a livesuit image file for the mid 1024-8
I do have the dump files boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img and system.tgz If someone could either point me in the right direction to find out how to create a livesuit image with these.
I have tried to google how to make a livesuit image with these files but have not had any luck.
If anyone would be willing to create the file for me I would be more than happy to send you the files.

Last edited:

purplegold

Jun 21, 2012
I think I may be close to something. Can one of you with working ones (silvoren) perhaps get the _bootfs and upload it.
Thanks! I just want to talk about that , use these cmd to get bootfs:
cd _bootfs
adb shell
$ cd /
$ mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/root /
$ mkdir bootfs
$ mount -t vfat /dev/block/nanda /bootfs
(Control-C: exit adb shell)
adb pull /bootfs
I'm using this https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/73 and replacing the 3 files with the files that silvoren uploaded. it didn't work, but then thats because we need the _bootfs. If that works I may be able to make and upload a recovery image. Or maybe one of our friendly .img makers can whip one up

Filteron

Aug 3, 2012
Stuck, please help (n00b here).

I was able to root and gain Superuser access no problem using the following method by Silverwraith (Rooting and installing Gapps on Coby 1042 tablet from Linux/OSX « Geeky):

Rooting Requirements
  • Install the Android SDK to get the adb binary
  • Download and decompress coby_root3.zip(I have a backup copy if this link stops working)

Rooting the device is beyond trivial.
In the coby_root3 directory is a data directory, which you need to push to your device and then run a few

adb commands::

$> cd coby_root3$> adb push data /data/local/tmp$> adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid$> adb shell /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.shCongratulations! You now have root, and the Superuser app is installed!

BUT, I got stuck following the next set of directions for installing gApps:

Go to http://goo.im/gapps/ and download and decompress the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file.
Now copy all of the apk files in there to your tablet:

$> cd gapps-ics-20120429-signed$> adb push system/app /data/local/tmp$> adb shelladb> su -adb> mount -o remount,rw /systemadb> busybox cp /data/local/tmp/app/* /system/appadb> exitReboot the tablet.

Here's the problem: Those instructions are for Linux/OSX (which I didn't find out about until after I got stuck cause my browser did not display the title!), and I followed directions using Windows 7 cmd.

Here's where I'm stuck after successfully pushing the apks to the tablet:

20 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
2467 KB/s (23496313 bytes in 9.297s)
C:\Users\Otto\Desktop\Coby 1042 Root\coby_root3>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su -
su -
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
shell@android:/ # busybox cp /data/local/tmp/app/* /system/app
busybox cp /data/local/tmp/app/* /system/app
cp: can't stat '/data/local/tmp/app/*': No such file or directory
1|shell@android:/ # shell
C:\Users\Otto\Desktop\Coby 1042 Root\coby_root3>

I don't know what to do after it says: cp: can't stat '/data/local/tmp/app/*': No such file or directory

I'm terrified of bricking it, since I'm doing this for someone else. Right now I just left it as it, until I get further instructions. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
I don't have a Coby 1042 but a MPMAN MID104C which seems to be a very close sibling if not an exact clone (?). MPMAN doesn't provide firmware for download either (bad, bad). However in the parenthood of this tablet there are other models like e.g. the Yarvik TAB464. Yarvik have a 4.0.4 update ROM for the 464 available for download here Download and upgrade to Android 4.0.4 (Livesuit image)
I'm seriously considering attempting to flash it to my MID104C after I make a CWM Recovery backup of the current system.
Of course there's no guarantee that these two tablets are the same, but it could be a better start image than the one you've mistakenly flashed. If you're really stuck...

Other tablets that could be clones of the Coby 1042 whose vendors have firmware online:
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
- Manta MID06
- Point of View Protab XXL
- Goclever A103 (probably not a good choice, several different variants and firmware supposedly of poor quality)
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]- Storex eZee'Tab 10C[/FONT]

purplegold

Jun 21, 2012
I tried a couple of these and I can see the screen now but it doesn't respond to touch.

Well that first one i was able to get to boot up, and i used the usb adapter that came with the device to use a mouse to navigate.

Tried to copy off the _bootfs so i could finish making my image. It went further, however its stuck with at the COBY logo. It does let you get into the special boot menu now though, but does not boot all the way.

If only someone with a working 1042 could get me the the bootfs, or i might even try it with the one from one of the smaller screens. Not sure but it might give us what we need.

So very close.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
I'm replying to myself here, which is not considered as appropriate, apologies for this. However I thought I'd share that after hours spent unpacking the boot files (initrd) of these tablets and studying the init.rc and init.sun4i.rc files (either live Android or img files made available for download by vendors) I have found out that the Coby 1042 and the Yarvik TAB464 have significantly different hardware (touchscreen controller at least) so I take back what I wrote about using the TAB464's firmware on the Coby.

I've also found out that the MPMAN MID104c, the Yarvik TAB464 and the Storex eZee'Tab 10C seem to be the same hardware. I still have to dig into the Manta MID06 and the Protab XXL. If I find that either of these seem to have the same hardware as the Coby 1042 I'll report here.

purplegold

Jun 21, 2012
I'm replying to myself here, which is not considered as appropriate, apologies for this. However I thought I'd share that after hours spent unpacking the boot files (initrd) of these tablets and studying the init.rc and init.sun4i.rc files (either live Android or img files made available for download by vendors) I have found out that the Coby 1042 and the Yarvik TAB464 have significantly different hardware (touchscreen controller at least) so I take back what I wrote about using the TAB464's firmware on the Coby.

I've also found out that the MPMAN MID104c, the Yarvik TAB464 and the Storex eZee'Tab 10C seem to be the same hardware. I still have to dig into the Manta MID06 and the Protab XXL. If I find that either of these seem to have the same hardware as the Coby 1042 I'll report here.

Just to share. I tried the Yarvick, Protab2 and Goclever on my 1042. They all booted up. Touchscreen did not work. and when using a usb mouse to navigate the screen, wireless did not work either.

I spent some more time trying to get the liveimage to work. I can't replicate and create a 9072 based image, it gets stuck at the boot screen. This makes me think that even if i do get a good bootfs it may not create a good restore image from the 1042 firmware dumps.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
Just to share. I tried the Yarvick, Protab2 and Goclever on my 1042. They all booted up. Touchscreen did not work. and when using a usb mouse to navigate the screen, wireless did not work either.

I spent some more time trying to get the liveimage to work. I can't replicate and create a 9072 based image, it gets stuck at the boot screen. This makes me think that even if i do get a good bootfs it may not create a good restore image from the 1042 firmware dumps.

Well I concur. The Coby seems to be the foreign sibling of the group. Its hardware differs significantly from those of the other ones (MID104C, TAB464, eZee'Tab 10C etc.) which really look like clones of each other.. There are visible differences in the init.sun4i.rc files from the boot image. Touchscreen is one thing, but the MID1042 appears to have a vibrator that the others don't have. I'm more suprised that wifi doesn't work, though. I don't have the files at hand now but as far as I can remember they seemed to be using the same kernel modules.

Last edited:

Prodina

Jul 28, 2012
I asked Coby's tech support to see if they could help with my 1042-8 and they gave me the three files below to try. I can now boot up the tablet but the screen calibration is off and if I touch in one spot it responds in another. It works if I plug in the mouse but that defeats the purpose of the tablet. Maybe someone could take a look at these files and get a working image so the calibration is correct.sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Mike Hard
http://www.4shared.com/file/vInWjJ_x...20820Phip.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/lW0i6hhK...razyHamst.html

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I asked Coby's tech support to see if they could help with my 1042-8 and they gave me the three files below to try. I can now boot up the tablet but the screen calibration is off and if I touch in one spot it responds in another. It works if I plug in the mouse but that defeats the purpose of the tablet. Maybe someone could take a look at these files and get a working image so the calibration is correct.sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Mike Hard
http://www.4shared.com/file/vInWjJ_x...20820Phip.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/lW0i6hhK...razyHamst.html

where are you backup files? you did make a system dump?

did you test each image?

This indicates there are three different versions of 1042.

Last edited: