Coby Kyros 7024 running a modified Official Kyros 8024 firmware :)

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hmm... do you know of a way to disable the boot splash completely? So I'd only see kernel messages and stuff during boot.

jchavez1985

Sep 14, 2011
Hdmi is working including 3g using the official 8024 rom from cobyusa site.

The font, battery with percentage, icons and windows behavior i change using the online kitchen.
The overclock cpu boot img i pulled from the Evo 2.0 gingerbread rom from slateroid im testing yesterday which is really good if you want to try gingerbread. My tablet is really snappy now.

I will share the modified uboot.bin of the official kyros 8024 firmware so it will work with 7024..

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Hey man, Excellent job by the way!!

I just have one question... Is there a way to change both the font and ICon size to the original froyo 2.2?

Txs!

Jc

elemist2

May 5, 2011
if you use the modified official u-boot with the regular mid8024 rom you will have default froyo icon size and font. the overclocking was done by modifying a u-boot.bin from the evo 2.0 firmware and inserting it into the mid8024 rom with this configuration you would still have default froyo icons and font also. the font was changed using the kitchen and the icon size was done by changing the lcd density. flxrms is pretty awesome figuring this stuff out. he has instructions to modify your own u-boot.bin from the mid8024 rom and he has mentioned how to modify the evo u-boot.bin also.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hey man, Excellent job by the way!!

I just have one question... Is there a way to change both the font and ICon size to the original froyo 2.2?

Txs!

Jc

Yes just ovewrite the FRAMEWORK-RES.APK at system\framework with original framework-res.apk

if you can see my first post... I'm using a different font and a battery with percentage. I used this site UOT Kitchen. Kitchen to update/change the behavior of my window/icon/font/battery/status/pop-up/Bootscreen.

Its quite easy really :) after creating your own modification all you need to do is to upload your FRAMEWORK-RES.APK and submit it to the Kitchen.. Then just wait for about 5mins to 30mins...depending on the load of the site and how many users are creating their own mod.

Then after that it will show you the link where to download. Copy the updated Framework-res.apk and overwrite the original file and flash. or just push it to your device via adb.

"PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP JUST INCASE YOU WANT TO REVERT BACK"
Framework-res.apk it can be found in your SYSTEM\FRAMEWORK directory.

Hope this help!

fyi
i do have a new firmware using the 8024 firmware (2.2)+ the mod above using UOT Kitchen + overclock uboot.bin + tweaks(props to prox at slateroid). But i always feel bad when someone brick their tablet using my shared rom. i'll just give the link via pm if anybody wants it.

Last edited:

Slk696

Sep 6, 2011
I need HELP!!! I download the official update for the 7024 from coby page. But I have a problem when I put the files inside of it. Zip to the micro sd and I try to update. But appears on the screen not find any update and upgrade from internal micro SD. Anyone know what could it be?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I need HELP!!! I download the official update for the 7024 from coby page. But I have a problem when I put the files inside of it. Zip to the micro sd and I try to update. But appears on the screen not find any update and upgrade from internal micro SD. Anyone know what could it be?

You have to unzip the file you downloaded from Coby and put them in the root of your external microSD card and turn on your tablet holding the back button (the silver one in the front). The rest is automatic if the correct files are found in the root of the external microSD. They have a PDF in their website that may help you if you still can't figure it out. ;)

Anyway, this thread is about a modified ROM. If you still need help from I'd suggest that you go to the official ROM thread (or another one about it):
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-custom-roms-thread-add-your-custom-roms.html

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hey, flxrms. Any chance you can details the changes you used in your CFW-7024 so I can try to do the same for MID1024. Is it possible, since they share the same base hardware? Thanks.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, flxrms. Any chance you can details the changes you used in your CFW-7024 so I can try to do the same for MID1024. Is it possible, since they share the same base hardware? Thanks.

1. Framework change
i used UOT kitchen to update Battery,Icons, Font, Window Behavior, Loading Circle and Bootanimation. Instruction on how to do that just read the FAQ at UOT Kitchen website..its really easy promise :)

2. Delete/Update/Add app files at Board.7024.tgz with what i want...its up to you.

3. Add V6Supercharger tweaks

4. Change boot loader with latest gingerbread overclock u-boot.bin (This one is tricky i can use this because its made for 7/8inch LCD im not sure if this will work with your 10.1inch LCD without modification, this might even brick your tablet but its worth it if your brave enough to Test it first)
-you have to hex edit the overclock boot loader if you want to use this. (this one is optional)

5. Use a 4gb sd_mbr.bin with (1gig Internal Memory space instead of default 484MB) (This one is easy just drop the mbr for (4gb, 8gb and 16gb) and use the updated utscript.sh)
-This is a good mod since you will increase the Internal Memory for applications. No need to use app2sd or link2sd. i even have to move the app from sd to internal memory.

6. Copy latest Google Market (This one is up to you...the google market i used cant download app the first time i used it..need to REBOOT the tablet then everything is working/downloading)

7. Edit Build.prop -Change LCD Density to 162 (I need to experiment with 180, the font im using is to small for 162 now)
----

Mods i forgot to do

1. Change the fingerprint of the tablet (I forgot to use the samsung tablet fingerprint)

Last edited:

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
1. Framework change
i used UOT kitchen to update Battery,Icons, Font, Window Behavior, Loading Circle and Bootanimation. Instruction on how to do that just read the FAQ at UOT Kitchen website..its really easy promise :)

2. Delete/Update/Add app files at Board.7024.tgz with what i want...its up to you.

4. Change boot loader with latest gingerbread overclock u-boot.bin (This one is tricky i can use this because its made for 7/8inch LCD im not sure if this will work with your 10.1inch LCD without modification, this might even brick your tablet but its worth it if your brave enough to Test it first)
-you have to hex edit the overclock boot loader if you want to use this. (this one is optional)

5. Use a 4gb sd_mbr.bin with (1gig Internal Memory space instead of default 484MB) (This one is easy just drop the mbr for (4gb, 8gb and 16gb) and use the updated utscript.sh)
-This is a good mod since you will increase the Internal Memory for applications. No need to use app2sd or link2sd. i even have to move the app from sd to internal memory.

6. Copy latest Google Market (This one is up to you...the google market i used cant download app the first time i used it..need to REBOOT the tablet then everything is working/downloading)

7. Edit Build.prop -Change LCD Density to 162 (I need to experiment with 180, the font im using is to small for 162 now)
----

Mods i forgot to do

1. Change the fingerprint of the tablet (I forgot to use the samsung tablet fingerprint)

Hey, flxrms! I'm using your custom FW it's working great, i've been reading your posts here in the forums and when you post something using the forum app i see that the app recognizes your tablet as a Coby Kyros 7024 but when i post something using the app it displays my tablet as CFW-7024, another little problem i have with your FW is that the tablet takes a lot to connect to the wifi, with the stock FW the tablet was connected to the wireless network as soon as my desktop was displayed and now i have to enter to the wireless settings in order to connect instantly, apart from that your CFW is blazing fast and working great!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

References, please?

More references, link to the GB bootloader, and more info about what exactly you have changed and what may not work with MID1024.

Thanks! ;)

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, flxrms! I'm using your custom FW it's working great, i've been reading your posts here in the forums and when you post something using the forum app i see that the app recognizes your tablet as a Coby Kyros 7024 but when i post something using the app it displays my tablet as CFW-7024, another little problem i have with your FW is that the tablet takes a lot to connect to the wifi, with the stock FW the tablet was connected to the wireless network as soon as my desktop was displayed and now i have to enter to the wireless settings in order to connect instantly, apart from that your CFW is blazing fast and working great!

1.when i replied using tapatalk i used the customise reply with "Coby Kyros 7024" string

2.One reason is that i change the Wifi checking from the default (i forgot the value) to 180seconds.... This is to save battery so it will not poll every (default seconds value)

Build.prop
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180

you can actually change it manually if you want :) just use root_explorer search for build.prop and lower the value of wifi.supplicant_Scan_interval

Last edited:

cornell

Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for the input man!

What is the best method you would recommend to root the tablet running your CFW?
What you said about changing the fingerprint of the tablet, doing that would make the system be recognized as Coby Kyros 7024?

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the input man!

What is the best method you would recommend to root the tablet running your CFW?
What you said about changing the fingerprint of the tablet, doing that would make the system be recognized as Coby Kyros 7024?

try this https://rapidshare.com/files/1992703799/root.rar

connect your tablet with debugging on...then run root.bat.. then reboot your tablet.

Last edited: